upgrading replication server in a live replication from 12 to REP15

simon

Apr 1, 2010, 6:31:04 PM4/1/10
So far I've only been able to find an "installation manual", but not
anything on upgrade live 12 to 15, in regards to Replication server 15.

Specifically, how to upgrade RSSD properly. We have a massive repository
that I would much rather not regenerate, since on some databases it's
table-driven and takes hours to deploy.

The evil irony is that the REP 15 rs_init offers a downgrade of RSSD, but
not upgrade, as if the dev. guys in Sybase are having a curious case of
Benjamin Button.

And lastly, does anybody know of a non-Java plugin for REP15 by any chance,
since they have forgotten to copy a few options from v12, and I would much
rather use the C++ version of Sybase Central.

Cheers

Leonid Gvirtz

Apr 2, 2010, 4:28:37 AM4/2/10
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: n...@netfront.net ---

Hi Simon

I'm not sure what do you mean by "live upgrade", do you mean an
upgrade without the need to recreate RS objects (repdefs,
subscriptions etc.)? Actually, Sybase supplies documentation about the
RS upgrade and I managed to upgrade RS from 12.6 to 15.1/15.2 a number
of times without too many problems. See the following link:
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc35817.1520/html/rsunix_config/X59129.htm

Hope it helps
Leonid Gvirtz
http://www.gvirtz-consulting.com

simon

Apr 26, 2010, 5:15:03 PM4/26/10
Yes, the configuration manual was missing from our doc set, which is why we
assumed it didn't exist.
And trying to order it separately didn't work out either, since it was
unavailable in the list of hard copies.

But the online version did help, and live upgrade can be performed, although
it's not that obvious, especially if you choose not to overwrite the
existing installation, but instead create a separate directory tree.

Also, it should be noted that you would probably want to upgrade to 15.2
ESD1 right away to suppress the strange WARNING #5185 that was newly
introduced in 15.2 and subsequently addressed in ESD 1.

Sybase web site claims you need to "upgrade to 15.1 ESD 1" (sic!), but you
can bravely upgrade to 15.2 ESD 1 instead and breathe easy.

Quite a few little annoying things changed between REP 12.6 and REP 15.2 but
production runs fine under the new installation.

Thanks for the info again, Leonid!

simon,
simon-at-onlinephonebook/net

"Leonid Gvirtz" <lgv...@yahoo.com> wrote in message