Dump+load between minor ASE versions

John Flynn

Jan 18, 2010, 10:35:44 AM1/18/10
Hi.

Could there theoretically ever be a problem when dumping a user database
from a 15.0.something ASE version and loading that into a 15.0.somethingelse
ASE version? Is that always a safe operation? (I mean, equally as safe as

I figure, ASE knows how to dump+load across major versions (like
11.9->15.0), so surely changing from one minor 15.0 version to another must
be a no-brainer.

Thanks.
- John.

mpeppler@peppler.org [Team Sybase]

Jan 18, 2010, 11:04:46 AM1/18/10

If the minor version is larger then it will most definitely work.

I'm not sure (and I've never tried) about downgrading via dump/load
(e.g. from 15.0.3 to 15.0.2)

Michael

John Flynn

Jan 18, 2010, 3:53:21 PM1/18/10
mpep...@peppler.org [Team Sybase] wrote:
> If the minor version is larger then it will most definitely work.
>
> I'm not sure (and I've never tried) about downgrading via dump/load
> (e.g. from 15.0.3 to 15.0.2)

Thanks, that is very helpful.

I'm surprised it's not a common operation. I mean, you might have a
collection of servers, some on 15.0.2 and some on 15.0.3, and you might
commonly want to dump and load between them. I myself am pretty religious
about keeping all my servers on the exact same version, so as to "avoid any
possibility of a problem", but I'd think not everyone is as OC as I am.

Thanks.
- John.