Changing ASE 15 Developer Edition to Enterprise Edition

Chris

Dec 25, 2009, 9:46:48 AM12/25/09

We have installed ASE 15 developer edition.
Now we have generated the license from SPDC (unserved using
the specific hostid) and are downloading and deploying the
license file into the SYSAM-2_0 licenses directory.
The license related shell variable is set too.
However when we start the server and expect it to start as
Enterprise edition as per the license, it throws error and
starts as enterprise in grace mode (30 days) are we missing
any steps here ?

Best Regards

Mark A. Parsons

Dec 25, 2009, 6:04:49 PM12/25/09
What other steps did you take besides installing the license file in the ${SYBASE}/SYSAM2/licenses directory?

-------------------------

There are a couple ways to update your dataserver to recognize the new license file; both methods rely on some info from
the license file.

[NOTE: The following may vary somewhat based on your license type.]

1 - obtain the 'PE=' (edition type) and 'LT=' (license type) strings from the license file; you're looking for the chunk
of license that begins with 'INCREMENT ASE_EE', eg:

=======================
INCREMENT ASE_EE SYBASE ....
VENDOR_STRING=SORT=100;PE=EE;LT=SR HOSTID=....
^^^^^^^^^^^
=======================

From this snippet we see that the edition type is 'EE', while the license type is 'SR'.

2 - use one of the following methods to update the dataserver:

2a - use the sp_lmconfig stored proc to update the dataserver with the appropriate edition type and license type; using
the above sample:

sp_lmconfig 'edition','EE', 'license type', 'SR'

NOTE: Run sp_lmconfig (no args) afterwards to verify that you entered the correct edition/license type info.

*OR*

2b - rename/set-aside the current ${SYBASE}/ASE-15_0/sysam/<dataserver_name>.properties file; create a new/blank file of
the same name in the ${SYBASE}/ASE-15_0/sysam directory; add the 'PE=' and 'LT=' strings to the file as 2 separate
lines, then bounce the dataserver so that the new license info is recognized; using the above sample data:

======================
PE=EE
LT=SR
======================

3 - after performing 2a or 2b, the ${SYBASE}/ASE-15_0/sysam/<dataserver_name>.properties file should be updated with
some additional hex strings and (hopefully) you'll see a message in your dataserver errorlog stating that it has
successfully picked up your new license

If you still have problems, please post back here with the following info:

1 - ASE version (select @@version)

2 - PE/LT strings from your license file

3 - the contents of your *properties file

4 - all of the SYSAM related messages from the dataserver errorlog file

5 - output from running sp_lmconfig with no arguments

6 - any other details you can recall re: steps you took to install the license (eg, exact arguments provided to
sp_lmconfig, exact contact of newly edited/created *properties file, etc)