Implications of increasing device sizes and reducing device numbers.

Xerxses

Oct 28, 2012, 11:00:49 PM10/28/12
We are about to move from SAN based spinning disk to SAM based SSD. Our hardware architect would also like us to reduce the number of drives we use. I'm also considering reducing the number of devices we us by increasing the size of the existing ones and moving multiple database off a single device onto their own.

Were using Sybase ASE 15.0.3 on windows.

Anyway our databases are legacy db's from the days of phyiscal disk and are setup accordingly. Most devices are 8Gb with the db's only being in the low hundreds of Gigbytes in size.

The question is what real impact would rebuilding the databases on 16 or 32Mb files on devices of the same size? Especially considering that we don't have any control over where SAN's now store the data and that a single file can be stored on many physical disks within the SAN.