AseMon - The GUI Version - New Release

Göran Schwarz

Apr 21, 2011, 12:04:28 PM4/21/11
Hi there all!

Time for a new release of AseMon - the ASE Performance Monitoring GUI
(www.asemon.se)
If you haven't tried it yet, please do so, and send me your comments.

A total list of "What's new" can be found at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/asemon-gui/files/history.html/download
Download AseMon at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/asemon-gui/files/asemon_2011-04-21.zip/download
- unzip the file
- start it using asemon.bat or asemon.sh for Linux/Unix platforms
- Alt-c (or connect from the menu)
- Tab: ASE: fill in ASE information (if you want to see
host statistics like iostat, check Option Panel: "Monitor the OS Host
for IO and CPU...")
- for hostmon: Tab Host Monitor: (if you have your ASE on
Windows and want to test host monitoring, just point "Host Name" to a
valid Linux/Solaris/HP/AIX host)

====================
The Major changes are:
====================
- Basic Operating System Monitoring capabilities
Three new Tabs has been created for this:
* OS Disk Stat which uses iostat or vxstat to get OS disk
statistics
* OS CPU(vmstat) which uses vmstat to get OS overall OS statistics
* OS CPU(mpstat) which uses mpstat to get OS statistics per CPU
The 'Operating System Monitoring' subsystem is using a SSH (Secure
Shell) connection
to remote host. In that SSH connection we can kick of the various
OS Commands
and receive the output (see above "what's new" for more details)
If you want to do "Host Monitoring", but using your own command,
see "what's new", for how to do this.
or simply email me...
NOTE: I have not been able to test Veritas (vxstat), because I
didn't have access to any of that installation
So please, if anyone has a host with Veritas installed, test
to connect to that host and monitor... let me know if it works or
not :)
requires: that vxstat is in the users path, and that the user
has execution permition
- A bunch of new Graphs has been implemented
- New columns has been added to new and old Performance Counters

====================
Give it a spin...
Without this tool, I would have a hard time doing P&T gigs... it
really helps me...

Please send me feedback how it works for you
Or: Suggestions for improvements...
Or: I *don't* like this tool... (and please let me know why???)

Best regards
/Goran Schwarz, Sybase Sweden

PS. sorry for not have written a manual on AseMon yet, if someone want
to help with this I would be *super* happy

bslade

May 3, 2011, 5:23:22 PM5/3/11
On Apr 21, 12:04 pm, Göran Schwarz <goran.schw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there all!
>
> Time for a new release of AseMon - the ASE Performance Monitoring GUI
> (www.asemon.se)
> If you haven't tried it yet, please do so, and send me your comments.
>
> A total list of "What's new" can be found at:http://sourceforge.net/projects/asemon-gui/files/history.html/download
> Download AseMon at:http://sourceforge.net/projects/asemon-gui/files/asemon_2011-04-21.zi...
>     - unzip the file

I look forward to using this tool, but I'm waiting for my web admin's
to install/enable CTLib for PHP on our webserver.

Just a note, the https://sourceforge.net/projects/asemon web page
isn't very useful for a person using/installing this for the first
time (No overview or installation instructions, the download button
just downloads the logger, support link goes to the "open discussions"
forum not the help forum). The sourceforge projects/asemon page
should have a reference to the more useful https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/asemon
web page.

Another question I have about this tool is, what is the overhead for
collecting these stats? (really a question about mon tables, I
guess)

Ben Slade
near Washington DC