unpacking .swu file

Zosia Kubrak

Jun 24, 2024, 1:15:46 PM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to swupdate
Is there any tool or package that let's you unpack the content of .swu file?
I want to write a python script that needs to unpack the content of my .swu package, byt I'm unable to do it with any popular package. I tried unpacing it like a zip, I also used file-roller on ubuntu, but without great success.

Stefano Babic

Jun 25, 2024, 5:17:40 AM (9 days ago) Jun 25
to Zosia Kubrak, swupdate
Hi Zosia,

On 24.06.24 19:15, Zosia Kubrak wrote:
> Is there any tool or package that let's you unpack the content of .swu file?

If you just double-click in Nautilus (or whatever file manager you have
installed), files is magically unpacked. SWU structure is compatible
with CPIO, and any tool able to open a cpio archive (pratically,
everything in Ubuntuu..) is able to unpack it.

From the CLI with GUI:

file-roller <SWU file>

or use cpio utility.

> I want to write a python script that needs to unpack the content of my
> .swu package, byt I'm unable to do it with any popular package.

You don't need it.

> I tried
> unpacing it like a zip, I also used file-roller on ubuntu,

file-roller works out of the box. If it is not working, you should check
if the SWU is correct. Run cpio -i < swufile.swu and see if files are
unpacked. If this does not work, your SWU is wrong.

> but without
> great success.

Do not disperate, next time will be better !

Best regards,
Stefano Babic