Petalinux 2022.2 + SWUpdate

José Carvalho

Oct 4, 2024, 3:06:11 PMOct 4
to swupdate
Hi,

I have been trying to use swupdate (through meta-swupdate) with Xilinx Ultrascale+ MPSoCs with Petalinux 2022.2. I was able to build the swupdate into the image, but I am not able to do a simple dry-run update example due to this error:

"[ERROR] : SWUPDATE failed [0] ERROR : Default bootloader interface 'uboot' couldn't be loaded.".

This is surely due to missing configurations of u-boot (more specifically Xilinx's u-boot-xlnx). What steps do I need to implement to make this work? Has any work been done towards this end?

Many thanks

Trygve Lunheim

Oct 7, 2024, 6:30:53 AMOct 7
to swupdate
Hi Jose,
I have got swupdate configured and running on Petalinux, and the crux was to configure U-boot fw-utils and libubootenv
In my user-layer I've added to user-rootfsconfig:
CONFIG_u-boot-fw-utils
CONFIG_libubootenv-bin
CONFIG_swupdate
CONFIG_swupdate-www
CONFIG_swupdate-config
CONFIG_swupdate-tools
CONFIG_swupdate-progress

In layer.conf I've added:
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_u-boot-fw-utils = "libubootenv"

You also need a configuration file for  fw-utils, I've added fw_env.config to be installed by meta-user/recipes-core/base-files/base-files_%.bbappend
The contents of the fw_env.config depend on how U-boot is configured to store the environment. So you need to check that U-boot is set up to use environment, and where it is stored.
Basically you should first make sure that you have fw_printenv and fw_setenv commands working in the Petalinux. Then there is a good chance that you get swupdate running as well.

Kind regards,
Trygve