Bow staffs

daniel...@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2010, 8:15:09 AM6/1/10
to Swordtag
Is there any way to be able to make a bow staff that is soft enough to
use, thin enough to hold yet sturdy enough to not flop all around?

Hookswords

Jun 3, 2010, 8:52:13 PM6/3/10
to Swordtag
I came up with a way a few years ago that covers everything except
thin. Its about 3 inches in diameter. The construction process is
pretty advanced (for swordtag), and a complete pain in the @**. If you
need one now, you can use the spear coring process described in the
how to make a spear page. Since a staff is all weapon, it needs to be
double padded the entire length, so you will need the 1 1/2" padding
that we can only seem to find at Ace Hardware. A word of warning
though, since a staff swings more often than a spear, you're likely to
bend the copper core. You can bend it back, but...

On Jun 1, 7:15 am, "danieldav...@gmail.com" <danieldav...@gmail.com>

Daniel Davis

Jun 4, 2010, 7:36:33 AM6/4/10
to swor...@googlegroups.com
so is there any good way to core it and what pvc is best?... i have a friend that wants the staff and i seem to be the foam smith for my group lol but i havent been able to figure it out...

Hookswords

Jun 10, 2010, 12:55:16 AM6/10/10
to Swordtag
I'll see if I can make the time to build another one and document the
process (pictures and text) for you by the end of next week. The
process involves assembling varying diameters of pvc in tiers. The
center was 2' of 1" diameter pvc. Then I inserted 1 1/2' lengths of
3/4" cpvc 6" into each end of the center piece. After that, I went
down to 1 1/2' lengths of 1/2" cpvc 6" into the ends of the 3/4" cpvc.
Still following? It should be much easier to follow with pictures.

As fun as people think staffs could be, the problem we ran into was
with wounding, and what counted as a hit with a staff. Since with our
group it is acceptable to grapple a non "sharp" area of a weapon, when
grappling a staff, what counted as a grapple and what counted as a hit
to the hand? Did non-impacting hits count? It doesn't cut like a
sword, so it would have to actually 'hit' you right? A lot of people
also whined that they didn't think a staff shot to the torso would
actually kill someone, so why should it count in swordtag. So in our
group we banned them for regular play, and restricted staffs to duels
and 100 battles challenges. Its up to you and your group if you want
to include them for regular games, your rules might work better for
staffs than ours (for instance if there is no grappling).

Daniel Davis

Jun 10, 2010, 7:43:16 AM6/10/10
to swor...@googlegroups.com
thank you... yeah our group says that hands, feet, groin and head do not count... they don't allow grappling except for if you have a glove-weapon. but thank you for showing me how to do this...

Myrey

Jun 15, 2010, 12:28:32 AM6/15/10
to Swordtag
Weak sauce rules. Come tango with me sometime. I'll show your friends
how to do it up.

On Jun 10, 1:43 am, Daniel Davis <danieldav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> thank you... yeah our group says that hands, feet, groin and head do not
> count... they don't allow grappling except for if you have a glove-weapon.
> but thank you for showing me how to do this...
>
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Hookswords
> <Diamondedgesw...@hotmail.com>wrote:
>

> > I'll see if I can make the time to build another one and document the
> > process (pictures and text) for you by the end of next week. The
> > process involves assembling varying diameters of pvc in tiers. The
> > center was 2' of 1" diameter pvc. Then I inserted 1 1/2' lengths of
> > 3/4" cpvc 6" into each end of the center piece. After that, I went
> > down to 1 1/2' lengths of 1/2" cpvc 6" into the ends of the 3/4" cpvc.
> > Still following? It should be much easier to follow with pictures.
>
> > As fun as people think staffs could be, the problem we ran into was
> > with wounding, and what counted as a hit with a staff. Since with our
> > group it is acceptable to grapple a non "sharp" area of a weapon, when
> > grappling a staff, what counted as a grapple and what counted as a hit
> > to the hand? Did non-impacting hits count? It doesn't cut like a
> > sword, so it would have to actually 'hit' you right? A lot of people
> > also whined that they didn't think a staff shot to the torso would
> > actually kill someone, so why should it count in swordtag. So in our
> > group we banned them for regular play, and restricted staffs to duels
> > and 100 battles challenges. Its up to you and your group if you want
> > to include them for regular games, your rules might work better for
> > staffs than ours (for instance if there is no grappling).

Daniel Davis

Jun 15, 2010, 9:36:25 AM6/15/10
to swor...@googlegroups.com
what do you mean?

Myrey

Jun 16, 2010, 12:18:03 AM6/16/10
to Swordtag
No feet, groin, or head shots? I mean don't intend to hit somebody
there but they happen. Groin is death if hard enough or high enough.
Otherwise both legs are gone. Head is dead. but feet? I've won plenty
of battles by just hitting their feet to take out use of the leg.
Sometimes it's vital. And grapples are just amazing! You shouldn't
need special weapons or gloves or whatever to grapple. Especially when
it comes to a short weapon VS long. I.E. short sword and knife.

I suppose it's house rules for whatever group but those rules sound
similar to boffer groups that use color coded weapons for certain
parts of the body or something like that. Up in Hudson I'm one of the
better fighters and sad to be gone. I'm living in Hawaii right now so
I can't fight all the time like i want. But I always enjoy fighting
when I get the chance and I especially enjoy fighting new groups or
putting our group up against other groups. Hookswords is another great
fighter up there.
> > <swordtag%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c­om>

Daniel Davis

Jun 21, 2010, 6:05:47 PM6/21/10
to swor...@googlegroups.com
well we fight where there is no color coding... we keep it simple (we are like 5- 18 years old so that is why we have so many restrictions

Myrey

Jun 21, 2010, 10:54:38 PM6/21/10
to Swordtag
we're like 10-20 usually bro. not a big deal i'm just saying.

Daniel Davis

Jun 27, 2010, 5:23:18 PM6/27/10
to swor...@googlegroups.com
oh lol

Hookswords

Jul 7, 2010, 10:22:18 PM7/7/10
to Swordtag
Hey, I haven't forgotten about the staff, I'm just having technical
difficulties. My internet at home is gone, and I'm in online college
so... I'm wasting a lot of time hanging around in town at free wifi
businesses to get my homework done. And there's some other crap going
on so time to make that staff is kinda tough to come by. I will get it
done for you. I should have some time to at least get it started
tonight. This one takes a few hours to complete.

Daniel Davis

Oct 17, 2010, 12:10:45 AM10/17/10
to swor...@googlegroups.com
thanks