Jag vill skriva symbolerna ä, ö, é och å på Linux tangentbord liksom på MacOS. Posible?

Vitaly Repin

Oct 25, 2014, 3:36:01 AM10/25/14
Hej,

Kan jag skriva symbolerna ä, ö, é och å på Linux tangentbord liksom på MacOS: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=Howtotypeletterswit20100304073426167

For á, é, í, ó, ú: press ' and directly after that, the vowel.
For ä, ë, ï, ö, ü: press " and directly after that, the vowel.

Jag tycker om den metod och jag vill använda det på Linux även.

(Will state the same in English as my Swedish is very limited - learning it for less than a year)

I want to be able to enter accented characters (ö, ä, é and å) in the same way as in Mac - by pressing symbol " or ' first and pressing the letter second.

And I want to be able to enter å by pressing Alt + a. This is how it works in my Mac. How can I achieve the same results with Linux?

With my current xorg.conf if I switch to Swedish layout, I can't enter these symbols in Mac way. Contrary, the whole layout is changed (positions for punctuations marks etc) to match Swedish keyboard. But my keyboard is not Swedish. It's US. As a result I have ö in place of ", ä in place of ' etc.

Min xorg.conf om tangentbord:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Keyboard Defaults"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbVariant" "mac"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"
Option "XkbVariant" ","
Option "XkbLayout" "se,ru"
EndSection

Tack!

--
MVH, Vitaly

Jorgen Grahn

Oct 26, 2014, 4:41:44 AM10/26/14
On Sat, 2014-10-25, Vitaly Repin wrote:
> Hej,
>

> Kan jag skriva symbolerna ä, ö, é och å på Linux tangentbord liksom
> på MacOS:
> http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=Howtotypeletterswit20100304073426167

> For á, é, í, ó, ú: press ' and directly after that, the vowel.
> For ä, ë, ï, ö, ü: press " and directly after that, the vowel.
>
> Jag tycker om den metod och jag vill använda det på Linux även.

Metoden kallas "dead keys" eller "deadkeys" om du vill googla på den.
Jag använder den inte själv, eftersom den gör det svårare att skriva
'"~ osv.

> (Will state the same in English as my Swedish is very limited -
> learning it for less than a year)

> I want to be able to enter accented characters (ö, ä, é and å) in
> the same way as in Mac - by pressing symbol " or ' first and pressing
> the letter second.

> And I want to be able to enter å by pressing Alt + a. This is how it
> works in my Mac. How can I achieve the same results with Linux?

> With my current xorg.conf if I switch to Swedish layout, I can't
> enter these symbols in Mac way. Contrary, the whole layout is changed
> (positions for punctuations marks etc) to match Swedish keyboard. But
> my keyboard is not Swedish. It's US. As a result I have ö in place of
> ", ä in place of ' etc.

I guess then you want a US layout, but with deadkeys enabled for
Latin1 things like åäö, é and so on.

> Min xorg.conf om tangentbord:

> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "Keyboard Defaults"
> MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> Option "XkbVariant" "mac"
> Option "XkbOptions" "grp:shift_toggle"
> Option "XkbVariant" ","
> Option "XkbLayout" "se,ru"
> EndSection

At least Debian has moved that configuration out of xorg.conf, and
made it apply on the console, too:

salix:~% cat /etc/default/keyboard
# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us_msb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:nocaps"

BACKSPACE="guess"

("us_msb" is a keymap I've made myself: it puts the Latin-1 stuff on
the Alt key, so that e.g. é is Alt-i.)

Looking in /usr/share/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86, I see this:

// us_intl and br by Ricardo Y. Igarashi (i...@that.com.br)
// us_intl means standard us keyboard plus dead_keys symbols
// these keyboards are very popular in Brazil
xkb_keymap "us_intl" {

So perhaps you can try

Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl,ru"

/Jorgen