Conservative group hires German teen Naomi Seibt to rival Greta Thunberg's climate views

1 view

Bea Hinde

Feb 26, 2020, 7:45:02 AM2/26/20
A 19-year-old German YouTuber is being dubbed the “anti-Greta.”

A US think tank with ties to the Trump administration has tapped
Naomi Seibt, 19, who touts “climate realism” over “climate
alarmism,” to represent its views, according to the Washington
Post.

“Naomi Seibt vs. Greta Thunberg: whom should we trust?” the
Illinois-based conservative and libertarian Heartland Institute
asked in a video, referring to the 17-year-old Swedish climate
activist.

James Taylor, director of the Arthur B. Robinson Center for
Climate and Environmental Policy at the institute, called Seibt
a “fantastic voice for free markets and for climate realism,”
the newspaper reported.

During the UN climate conference in Madrid in December,
Heartland headlined Seibt at its forum, where Taylor described
her as its “star.”

And in January, the institute hired her to represent its climate
skepticism campaign about global warming, according to the news
outlet.

Thunberg, who was named Time magazine’s “Person of the Year”
last year, has excoriated world leaders for their failure to
stop carbon emissions.

“I want you to panic,” she said at the World Economic Forum in
Switzerland last year. “I want you to feel the fear I feel every
day. And then I want you to act.”

But Seibt says in a video posted on Heartland’s website: “I
don’t want you to panic. I want you to think.”

She has also invoked Thunberg’s famous line, saying, “To the
media, I have a few last words: How dare you?” — but has
disavowed the “anti-Greta” moniker.

“The reason I don’t like the term ‘anti-Greta’ is that it
suggests I myself am an indoctrinated puppet, I guess, for the
other side,” she says in a video titled “Naomi Seibt vs. Greta
Thunberg: Whom Should We Trust?”

“It is important that we keep questioning the narrative that’s
out there instead of promoting it,” Seibt said. “These days,
climate change science really isn’t a science at all.”

She told Insider she’s “not this evil opposite of Greta — she
might be a really nice girl and I would love to talk to her
someday.”

Seibt, who is a former “climate alarmist” herself, said that
watching people joining Thunberg-inspired “Fridays For Future”
helped spark her opposition to climate change activism.

“I get chills when I see those young people, especially at
Fridays for Future. They are screaming and shouting and they’re
generally terrified,” she told the Washington Post. “They don’t
want the world to end.”

Seibt, who will appear at the Conservative Political Action
Conference, or CPAC, this week, said she does not dispute that
the Earth is being warmed by greenhouse gas emissions — but that
their impact has been overstated by many scientists and
activists.

“I don’t want to get people to stop believing in man-made
climate change, not at all,” she told the paper. “Are man-made
CO2 emissions having that much impact on the climate? I think
that’s ridiculous to believe.”

Through her reps, Thunberg declined to comment to the Washington
Post.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/25/conservative-group-hires-german-
teen-naomi-seibt-to-rival-greta-thunbergs-climate-views/