Notes 11-27-23

Debbie Sharp

Nov 29, 2023, 3:57:21 PM11/29/23
to swna@googlegroups.com Woodlawn, John Morgan, Tommy Smith
Hi everyone,

Here are the notes from Monday night's SWNA meeting:

SWNA members provided soup, bread, drinks, and desserts for folks to enjoy.

Officer Morgan gave his report:
  There have vehicle thefts especially now that we are in the holiday season.  Keep cars locked and any purchased items out of view while shopping.  Bring items in the house after shopping.
  KPD, KCSO, and Hwy Patrol have been providing more radar on Chapman Hwy, hoping to slow traffic down.
  There have been bear sightings in south Knoxville. Best advise: leave it alone and call 911. They will join TWRA to come and get it if they can find it.  If it is violent towards people, it will probably be
    euthanized.
  The question of the P.O. mail boxes being hit/robbed was brought up. That is a federal issue that the Postmaster General will address.
  Be aware of porch pirates during the holidays as well. Whenever possible, be home when things are being delivered, have a neighbor help pick up the item, or have it delivered to your work.

Intros were made - 26 people total

Tommy Smith gave his report:
  Lancaster sidewalk is finished
  KAT 40 bus will start picking up kids at Young High Flats and take them to South Doyle Middle School. He is working to set up a ride if anyone wants to join. Kids ride free.
  KAT reimagined - more buses, more frequent stops
  City received federal funding for 16 new bus stop shelters. 2 will be in South Knoxville
  Aretha Frankenstein is now open
  Kerns is close to opening.
  Speeding has been an issue and he has been working with the city to help remedy this in several places.
  South Waterfront Code will be revisited. There is a Steering Committee of about 20 working on it.
  Kerbela Temple was sold.  not sure what the plan is at this time, could be housing.
  JFG sign - 3 properties in South Knoxville have requested to have it located on their property.  He is working to keep it in South Knoxville
  Rails to Trails is still being worked on with Legacy Parks raising money.
  Welcome to South Knoxville Sign deteriorated - The property owner where it was is open to a new one; however, TDOT needs to approve a spot that works for them.

Membership Committee - Sylvia
  We have 42 members
  If you pay tonight it will go through 2024. $5 for seniors, $10 for singles, $15 for families
  There are welcome bags for new folks

Sign Committee - Sylvia
  The last Welcome to South Woodlawn sign was put up at Redbud and Rebecca.
  They are considering new meeting signs and will make recommendations in the near future.
  This group meets and elects its own chair.  They will be meeting soon.

Wildlife Habitats of South Woodlawn (WHoSW) - Debbie
  We had a Kiosk clean up at Sam Duff Park on 11-12
  We had our 10 year celebration on 11-19
  For the year we have about 45 points (and only 30 are needed), with a conference call still coming in Dec.

School Outreach Committee - Nancy
  Last July we had a school supply drive and a donation box ($300); there were lots of donations that went to the schools and
    Mooreland Heights got extra supplies with their $100
    Dogwood got help with field trips with their $100
    South Doyle Middle got extra supplies with their $100
  Moorland Heights also asked for assistance with food for Thanksgiving and the donations that came in filled 12 boxes.
  Since 2022, the SOC has helped 251 children get shoes from Scottisrite?
  Tonight you can give $$ to help sponsor a child in need in one of our schools. The box is on the back table.

Secretary's Report - from July Debbie S. did them. Lynn made a motion to accept the minutes and Andy seconded; passed unanimously.

Treasurer's Report - Dale
  We have a total of $4241.40 in the bank.
    $142.64 was paid for nice cards
    $100.00 was donated to the Woodlawn Christian Church for allowing us to use the space.
    $50.00 was donated to Legacy Parks for being our fiscal sponsor and for all their work in South Knoxville.
  Current Total 3948.76
    $100 designated for the bike repair station
    $141.45 designated for WHoSW
    $1568.83 designated for signage
  Andy made a motion to accept the report, Laura seconded; passed unanimously.

Announcements -
  Burger Boys coming near Dunkin Donuts
  Traffic Calming coming to Greenwood, Hedgeapple, and Busbee - a meeting will happen soon.

Motion to have the meeting adjourn by Laura and seconded by Andy at 8:15.

If you have any questions, edits, corrections, please let me know.

Thank you,
Debbie Sharp

Lee Wiant

Nov 29, 2023, 5:11:03 PM11/29/23
to sw...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the minutes!  I really wanted to attend,.but my husband had a med appt in Nashville and we got home too late to attend.

Lee Wiant

--
NOTE: unless otherwise indicated, opinions expressed on this SWNA Group discussion list are those of the individual sending the email - not the Board of Governors or any position taken by SWNA.
---

sylviaw...@aol.com

Nov 29, 2023, 11:32:22 PM11/29/23
to sw...@googlegroups.com
Looks good to me.  If you want to put things in a minute form.  I suggest this to start
SWNA met November 27, 2023,
at Woodlawn Christian Church.
Janice Tocher, President, presided.