The Neighborly Notice - Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Debbie Helsley

Aug 20, 2024, 12:26:07 PMAug 20
to sw...@googlegroups.com

The Neighborly Notice

Vol. 17, No. 30 – Tuesday, August 20 2024

Newsletter (PDF version): https://bit.ly/NeighborlyNotice-2024-08-20

1.  ONE Welcomes New Intern, Brennen!
2.  KKB Hosts East Knoxville Community Cleanup
3.  It’s Time to Plan for National Night Out
4.  ONE Offers Leadership Training Classes
5.  Trees Knoxville Seeks Input on Tree Plantings
6.  City Seeks Public Input to Develop Its Five-Year Consolidated Plan
7.  Is Your Neighborhood Prepared for a Severe Emergency?
8.  Meet Megan Kimble, Author of “City Limits”
9.  KAT Launches New Bus Network Aug. 26
10.  Celebrate Women’s Equality Day
11.  Knoxville Neighborhoods Calendar (click link for online calendar)

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Published by the City of Knoxville’s Office of Neighborhood Empowerment, we report news important to Knoxville’s residential neighborhoods. Include your neighborhood- related event or meeting in this space. Call 865-215-3232. News deadline: 12 noon on Fridays.

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KnoxvilleNeighborhoods
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1.  ONE Welcomes New Intern, Brennen!

The Office of Neighborhood Empowerment (ONE) is excited to welcome our new intern, Brennen!

Brennen is a Master's level social work student from the University of Tennessee. You may have met him at our Neighborhood Resource Fair at the on-site registration. He was kind enough to volunteer his time to help us prior to beginning his internship.

Brennen received his Bachelor of Science in Social Work in May. He likes to be organized, take the initiative, and he enjoys building bridges with folks.

We look forward to getting to know him, and we are excited for him to get to know all of the wonderful individuals we work with in neighborhoods.
2.  KKB Hosts East Knoxville Community Cleanup

Keep Knoxville Beautiful (KKB) will host the fourth annual East Knoxville Community Cleanup on Saturday, Sept. 21, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at Ashley Nicole Dream Playground, located at 620 Winona St.

This year, in addition to picking up litter, they are also partnering with Ijams Nature Center for an invasive plant removal at the park.

They are looking for volunteers who live, work, or play in East Knoxville – as well as anyone that wants to lend a helping hand – to assist in the cleanup.

You or your neighborhood can sign-up to volunteer online.

Please contact KKB at ama...@keepknoxvillebeautiful.org or 865-521-6957 with any questions you may have.
3.  It’s Time to Plan for National Night Out

National Night Out, a national community-building campaign that promotes police-community partnerships, will be on Tuesday, Oct. 1, in Knoxville neighborhoods.  If your neighborhood plans to celebrate our first responders, please email the following information to Debbie Sharp at dsh...@knoxvilletn.gov.
  • Name of the neighborhood(s)
  • Name of the contact
  • Email of the contact
  • Phone number of the contact
  • Date of the event
  • Time of the event
  • Location of the event
  • What you plan to do
We will communicate with KPD and KFD to schedule officers and firefighters to attend your event and celebrate with you.

You may also want to register with National Night Out, organized by the National Association of Town Watch, on their website.
4.  ONE Offers Leadership Training Classes

The Office of Neighborhood Empowerment (ONE) is offering our leadership training class called Building Strong Neighborhood Organizations.

The program consists of eight classes, starting Monday, Sept. 9, and will run through Monday, Nov. 4, (with Oct. 7 – Fall Break – off).  Graduation is slated for Monday, Nov. 11.

We will cover the following topics:
  • Who can be a leader?
  • Assets vs Problems
  • The Power of People
  • Effective Communication
  • Successful Meetings
  • Recruiting & Retaining Members
  • Making Decisions Strategic Planning
Space is limited to 20 people. If you have questions or are interested in registering, contact Debbie Sharp at dsh...@knoxvilletn.gov with the following information:
  • Name
  • Address
  • Neighborhood
  • Email
  • Phone number
  • What you hope to gain by joining this class
The deadline to register is Friday, Aug. 30.  Neighbors who complete the class will be recognized at the Neighborhood Awards Dinner in March 2025.
5.  Trees Knoxville Seeks Input on Tree Plantings

Trees Knoxville is looking for input about where trees are needed in our community. They will be planting this winter and are looking for your suggestions.

Do you know of a public area -- a park, a neighborhood, a church, a cemetery, a school, a median, a street -- that needs trees?

If yes, please fill in this survey with your ideas.
6.  City Seeks Public Input to Develop Its Five-Year Consolidated Plan

The Housing and Neighborhood Development Department is hosting public meetings on Wednesday, Sept. 4, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and Tuesday, Sept. 10, from 6-8 p.m. at the Public Works Service Center (3131 Morris Avenue) to inform and engage residents in the development of its Five-Year Consolidated Plan. This plan guides how the City will spend federal funds on affordable housing, community development and economic development activities. Attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback.

Both meetings will have the same agenda and have the option to attend virtually via Zoom. The Zoom links will be available at KnoxvilleTN.gov/ConsolidatedPlan the day prior to the meeting.

For more information, a dedicated web page has been set up to keep people informed of how they may be involved in the planning process. You may also contact Linda Rust, City of Knoxville Housing and Neighborhood Development Department, P.O. Box 1631, Knoxville, TN  37901.

The City of Knoxville ensures meaningful access to City programs, services, and activities to comply with Civil Rights Title VI and ADA Title II laws and reasonably provides translation, interpretation, modifications, accommodations, alternative formats, auxiliary aids and services.

To request language translation services, contact the City’s Human Resources Department at tit...@knoxvilletn.gov or 865-215-3100. For disability accommodations, contact City ADA Coordinator Stephanie Brewer Cook at sc...@knoxvilletn.gov or 865-215-2034 at least 72 hours before the meeting.
7.  Is Your Neighborhood Prepared for a Severe Emergency?

The Office of Neighborhood Empowerment (ONE) encourages residents to consider how they will respond individually and as a neighborhood in the event of a widespread disaster.

How can your neighborhood become better prepared for an emergency?
  • Create a neighborhood emergency preparedness plan - Neighbors work together and to think through how the community will survive if emergency responders are unable to reach you within the first 24-72 hours following a widespread disaster.
  • Complete the Neighborhood Emergency Preparedness Speaker Series – Arrange for officials from emergency response agencies to attend your neighborhood meetings to present information and/or conduct training sessions.
  • Be a part of the Neighborhood Emergency Contact Network – This is a group of individuals strategically situated in neighborhoods across Knoxville who are available to report real-time, on-the-ground information to emergency services as those agencies work to determine the extent of damage from storms and other natural or man-made disasters.
If you are interested in working with your neighbors on emergency preparedness planning, would like to schedule an Emergency Series Speaker, or want to volunteer for the Contact Network, please contact Hayley Howard at hho...@knoxvilletn.gov.

New neighborhoods that become Emergency Prepared in 2024 will be recognized at ONE’s annual Neighborhood Awards Dinner in March.
8.  Meet Megan Kimble, Author of “City Limits”

Union Ave Books and Bike Walk Knoxville will present a book event with Megan Kimble, author of City Limits: Infrastructure, Inequality, and the Future of America's Highways, on Thursday, Aug. 22, from 6-7:30 p.m. at Union Ave Books, 517 Union Ave.

This event is free with RSVP here

In City Limits, journalist Megan Kimble weaves together the origins of urban highways with the stories of ordinary people impacted by our transportation system.

With storytelling and ground-level reporting, City Limits exposes the social and environmental costs wrought by our allegiance to a life of increasing speed and dispersion and brings to light the people who are fighting for a more sustainable, connected future.

Bike Walk Knoxville works to make the city a better place to bike and walk for all ages, abilities, and backgrounds.
9.  KAT Launches New Bus Network

Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) will launch the new KAT Reimagined bus network on Monday, Aug. 26.

Passengers can check out the new routes in the Transit app and plan their future trips. It is free to download – just search ‘Transit’ in the App Store or Google Play.

KAT will also be providing free rides for the first two weeks after KAT Reimagined launches -- Monday, Aug. 26 through Sunday, Sept. 8 -- while passengers are acclimating to the new routes.

For more information about the KAT Reimagined project and to view the Events Calendar, please visit the KAT website. For more information about the launch of the new network, contact Becca James at 865-215-7826 or bja...@katbus.com.
10.  Celebrate Women’s Equality Day

Women’s Equality Day is celebrated in the United States on Monday, Aug. 26, to commemorate the 1920 adoption of the Nineteenth Amendment, which prohibits states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens on the basis of sex.

This historic event was the culmination of the decades-long struggle of courageous suffragists determined to shape the course of our Republic. On Women's Equality Day, we commemorate the efforts of those groundbreaking activists, celebrate the remarkable achievements of women, and reaffirm our commitment to equality under the law.

To learn more about women’s suffrage in Tennessee and to plan for local events, check out Visit Knoxville’s website.

11.  Knoxville Neighborhoods Calendar (click link for online calendar)
Call 865-215-3232 to include your neighborhood event or meeting in this Google calendar

Other Calendars
Additional online calendars that cover events outside the neighborhood realm include:

The City of Knoxville requires a permit to operate a short-term rental property. Details and a list of short-term rental permits are located on the City’s website here

About This Newsletter
** This Advisory is produced on most Tuesdays of the year.
** Ideas and contributions are welcome. We reserve the right to edit submissions.
** Deadline for news & calendar items: 5 p.m. Mondays
** May be copied and forwarded via neighborhood e-mail lists and newsletters.
** See past issues at our Website:  http://www.knoxvilletn.gov/neighborhoods
** Don’t have Internet access? Call 865-215-4382 if you need a copy of a particular document.