May 19 Emergency Exercise Opportunity

Janice Tocher

May 7, 2024, 1:56:29 PMMay 7
to swna@googlegroups.com Woodlawn, Debbie Sharp, Sarah DeLozier
Greetings neighbors,

Please see below for a request from Knoxville-Knox County Emergency Management Agency. They are looking for individuals to participate in a survey on May 19th. See below for additional information.

NOTE: I have vetted this request with Debbie Sharp - the city Neighborhood Coordinator - and she said this is a legitimate request.

The more individuals in the survey, the better the data. Please contact Sara Delozier if you can participate - sdel...@knoxvilletn.gov

Cheers!
Janice

==============

Hello!

I am reaching out today because you are a neighborhood group leader. My name is Sarah DeLozier.  I am with Knoxville-Knox County Emergency Management Agency.  We work to plan for, prepare for, respond to, and recover from large scale emergencies in the City of Knoxville and Knox County.  As part of this effort, we often conduct large-scale exercises which include many of our partners.  On May 19th, we have an opportunity to exercise some systems and communication capabilities with our partners at the Tennessee National Guard.  Specifically, National Guard members will be surveying parts of the City and County and reporting back information in a similar way as they might in response to a wide-spread, severe weather incident.  We would like to engage the community in this effort if possible.

Is there anyone in your neighborhood who would be interested in participating in this exercise?

If so, we would need to collect their name, contact information, and address by May 10.  We will provide some scripts to them.  On May 19th, Guard Members will "survey" the neighborhoods and knock on the doors of only those individuals who would like to participate.  When the Guard Members are at the participants' houses, they will only be asking questions aligned with the script.  The data will not be used for any purposes outside of the exercise.  Scripts might include questions about if the resident has any immediate needs or experienced any damage to their property related to this fictional storm.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I would be happy to discuss further.

If you have individuals interested in participating, I will need their contact information by May 10 in order to incorporate the information into the exercise.

Thanks,

Sarah DeLozier, MS

Operations Officer -  Training and Exercises

Knoxville-Knox County Emergency Management Agency

Mobile: 865-371-7607

On-Call: 865-215-1167

Website: knoxvilletn.gov/kema

Laura Stone

May 7, 2024, 3:10:17 PMMay 7
to sw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Janice,
We will participate in the drill.

Laura Stone

--
NOTE: unless otherwise indicated, opinions expressed on this SWNA Group discussion list are those of the individual sending the email - not the Board of Governors or any position taken by SWNA.
---

Judy Barnette

May 7, 2024, 5:20:45 PMMay 7
to sw...@googlegroups.com
I would be willing to participate but we would be at church until around noon…🤷‍♀️
Judy Barnette
339 Greenwood

Tediously typed on tiny keyboard, y'all :)

Judy Barnette

May 7, 2024, 5:23:34 PMMay 7
to Sarah DeLozier, sw...@googlegroups.com, Debbie Sharp
I would be willing to participate, but will be at church until about noon.
Judy Barnette
339 Greenwood Ave 37920

On May 7, 2024, at 1:56 PM, Janice Tocher <jto...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Judy Barnette

May 14, 2024, 10:33:01 AMMay 14
to Sarah DeLozier, sw...@googlegroups.com, Debbie Sharp
That works for me.
From the front yard, our attached condo could look like a house but a “back yard” flood would affect the lower condo units behind ours before it ever reached our patio. So a little “video magic” would be needed.

Is there a specific script or should I just take my cues from the scenario you described?

Judy Barnette

Tediously typed on tiny keyboard, y'all :)

On May 14, 2024, at 9:46 AM, Sarah DeLozier <sdel...@knoxvilletn.gov> wrote:

Hi Judy,

Thanks so much for your willingness to participate!

I have the guardsmen coming your way at 1400 on Sunday, 5/19.

Your scenario is that with severe weather in the area your backyard has flooded.  In this scenario, you had water in your house a few feet into the first finished floor (could be a finished basement or the first floor of the house).  Additionally, in this scenario your power is still out (about 48 hours after the storm) but you have canned food and other resources to make it through.

One of FEMA's flood damage assessment metrics is if the water line reached above the power outlets.  We're hoping that the combination of where the waterline was and the fact that your power is "out" will queue the guardsmen about this metric.  In this scenario you have homeowners insurance and are hopeful that insurance will be able to help with the cleanup and recovery.

The guardsmen may not have answers to all of your concerns and questions but hopefully they will be able to think through and respond in an appropriate way.  If you are comfortable with them walking around your property you can allow them to do so, but you are also welcome to keep the conversation at the street and generally off your property.

If you have any questions please let me know.  Thanks again for your help with this!

Thanks,

Sarah DeLozier, MS

Operations Officer -  Training and Exercises

Knoxville-Knox County Emergency Management Agency

Mobile: 865-371-7607

On-Call: 865-215-1167

Website: bit.ly/KnoxTNEMA

<Outlook-hozmzjrs.jpg>

May 14, 2024, 11:33:48 AMMay 14
to Sarah DeLozier, sw...@googlegroups.com, Debbie Sharp
Sarah,
Thanks, I just wanted to clarify the expectation of “a script”.
I’ll ad lib the situation.
Judy Barnette

Tediously typed on tiny keyboard, y'all :)

On May 14, 2024, at 11:20 AM, Sarah DeLozier <sdel...@knoxvilletn.gov> wrote:

Hi Judy,

No problem at all - we recognize that there is some artificiality built in to the exercise.  If you're comfortable going by the prompts, that will work well!  If you would like a script I can provide one to you.  I think it will be a better experience for you and the guardsmen if it's a bit more of an authentic conversation with a few points of artificiality added in, but again I am happy to provide a short script if you would like. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Sarah DeLozier, MS

Operations Officer -  Training and Exercises

Knoxville-Knox County Emergency Management Agency

Mobile: 865-371-7607

On-Call: 865-215-1167

Website: bit.ly/KnoxTNEMA

<Outlook-dmhvw2n5.jpg>