Route problem

Clement

Mar 30, 2018, 12:17:07 PM3/30/18
to SwitchList
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for this great program !
But I have a problem with Waybill template: the "route" box shows it: "1,1,1,0,WP,Cold Storage Warehouse,West".
Why the java doesn't work ?
I have the same issue with all layouts example.

Regards,

Clément

Robert Bowdidge

Apr 2, 2018, 12:07:54 AM4/2/18
to Clement, switc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Clement,

The odd text in the route box is a bug in SwitchList. I've attached a fixed version of the Waybill template; you can install it with the "Install Template" menu item in the File menu.

Be warned the Waybill example was an experiment. It works well in the Vasona Branch example. On other layouts, the routing info will usually be blank; you'll need to do a bit of customization to make it work on your layout.

Specifically, the web page that draws the Waybill needs a few bits of information to fill in routes for your railroad. (You'll need some knowledge of web pages or a bit of bravery to make the changes, and you'll need some knowledge of the railroads to make the routings realistic.) If you look in the switchlist.html file inside of the Waybill-fixed directory, you'll see three mappings from railroad name to the string to show in the routing box:

routingHome: for each railroad's initials, gives a route string for a car heading home to that railroad. (In real life, trains heading home needed to travel home through the same interchanges that the loaded car used, so specifying exact locations is historically accurate.) For example, here's some of that mapping for the Vasona Branch:

'ATSF': 'OAK',
'CB&Q': 'SLC-CHY-DEN',
'CEI': 'SLC-CHI',
'DOWX': 'LA-ELP-HOU',

So ATFS cars heading home will always have the "OAK" routing implying they're being handed to the Santa Fe at Oakland - reasonable for my San Jose layout. CB&Q cars return through Salt Lake City, Cheyenne, and Denver on the SP and UP.

routingHere: for each railroad's initials, gives a route string for a loaded car coming from that railroad. Here's part of the mapping for the Vasona Branch:

'ATSF': 'ABQ-LA-Richmond',
'L&N' : 'HOU-ELP-LA-SJ',
'NWP' : 'SAU-SF',
'NP' : 'PORT-OA-SJK',
'NYC': 'CHI-SLC-OAK-SJ',

Note the order's reversed here to show the places the cars visited before getting to San Jose.

routingFromOffline: for each offline location, give a route string for a car coming form that location. This routing string is used when there wasn't a routing string for the specific railroad in routedHere:

'East Coast': 'NYC-SYR-CHI-SLC-OAK',
'Midwest': 'KC-TUC-LA-SJ',
'West Coast': 'SAC-SJ',
'San Jose Yard': 'LA-SJ',
'Santa Cruz Yard': 'LA-WVJ-SC',

routingToOffline: for each offline location, gives a route string for cars going to that location. Again, this is used for any railroad not listed in routingHome:

'East Coast': 'OAK-SLC-CHI-PIT-BAL',
'Midwest': 'SLC-NP-STL',
'West Coast': 'SJ-SAC',
'San Jose Yard': 'SJ-FRE',
'Santa Cruz Yard': 'SCZ-WVJ-LA',

If you customize the waybill style for your railroad, let me know how it goes. Like I said, the Waybill style was an experiment to see if SwitchList was flexible enough to draw waybills, and also to see whether a waybill format could be a reasonable way to keep track of cars on an iPhone or similar device. I think it's got promise, but really needs someone to try using it on their layout.

Robert
> --
Waybill-fixed.zip

Clement

Apr 2, 2018, 10:53:21 AM4/2/18
to SwitchList
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your answer. The new version works successfully.
Actually I want to adapt American Waybill for French Railway. So I have translated your Waybill template, but I should do it again with the new template.
Here, one example of a translated waybill. I don't try yet to use it.

Clément