Cars defaulting to wrong yard

Don Willhoit

Dec 27, 2019, 1:17:21 PM12/27/19
to SwitchList
Good morning Robert and Happy Holidays!

I really like this program and thank you for developing it.

I have set up a layout exactly like the Stockton Example.  My logic tells me that cars routing to industries in East Industries would default to East Interchange (WP Interchange) and staging on the East End for unloading/reloading. However, cars from East Industries are sent to the West Interchange (SP Interchange).  They move through Center Yard  to West Interchange and are loaded and returned to the West End and go back onto the layout.  I am not using Divisions but have tried them with the same results.

Extending my thinking, if I put a specific industry in New York to reload the cars, they are never going to get there.  I have not tried this yet.

Comparing what I have set up and the example, they match.  I don't see what I'm overlooking.

I am using version 1.3.2 downloaded from the App store on a MacBook Pro running Mojave OS 10.14.6.

Thank you

Don Willhoit

Robert Bowdidge

Dec 29, 2019, 2:29:40 AM12/29/19
to switc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Don,

You'll need to turn on divisions, and set appropriate divisions for industries in order to direct cars to a particular staging yard. Otherwise, cars destined off the layout will use any exit and any staging yard.

Divisions essentially are a way to decide where cars will exit (and which cars will be used to serve particular industries online.) You'd need to set the divisions on the cars (to know which ways cars exit), staging yards (to indicate where the cars should end up), and industries (to note which industries prefer cars from a particular source.)

Check out the Stockton With Divisions example again; if you still have problems, send me a copy of your layout file and I'll take a look.

Robert

Don Willhoit

Dec 29, 2019, 3:59:21 PM12/29/19
to switc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert

Thank you for responding so quickly.  I will give divisions a try.

Have a happy New Year!

Don

Don Willhoit

Dec 31, 2019, 11:45:08 AM12/31/19