Interchange pick up / delivery

Don Bilski

Oct 24, 2022, 3:11:53 PM10/24/22
to SwitchList
I have a small switching layout and switchlist suits me just fine, thank you.
What I would like to do is have my local drop off cars at the interchange track, then have the interchange train not only pick up but drop off cars to be switched by the local. Can you help me set that up?

Robert Bowdidge

Nov 6, 2022, 5:34:08 PM11/6/22
to switc...@googlegroups.com, Don Bilski
Hi, Don,

SwitchList only allows cars to be switched between trains in a "yard". The easiest way to do an interchange track like you want is:
1) Make sure that the interchange track is in a town with no other yards (create a fake one if needed)
2) Create a yard that represents the interchange track.
3) Have both the trains dropping off and picking up at the interchange track visit the town with the interchange track yard.
4) Create cargos that need to be carried from somewhere on the originating railroad to the target railroad.

With all that, you should be able to see cars move from the originating railroad to the interchange track (yard), then get picked up by the destination railroad and taken to their destination.

Example layout attached.

interchange-example.swl