iPad version of SwitchList

Robert Bowdidge

Jul 16, 2011, 2:35:35 PM7/16/11
to switc...@googlegroups.com
Just to throw it out, someone contacted me last week and asked if there was an iPad-only version of SwitchList. He has an iPad and an AirPrint-compatible printer, and he was interested in just doing all the switchlist work straight from the iPad.

I don't know how painful it would be to do all the data entry on an iPad, but it's certainly possible. If someone's looking for a project...

Robert

Dave Falkenburg

Jul 16, 2011, 5:22:54 PM7/16/11
to switc...@googlegroups.com
Robert,

It should be pretty easy— I can check around to see if there are any folks interested in this.

-Dave

Jeremy Dummler

Nov 1, 2013, 12:24:49 PM11/1/13
to switc...@googlegroups.com
I know I'm certainly interested in this kind of app.  I'd love to be able to do everything from the couch with the iPad and not need my Mac in front of me.

Jeremy

Jon Calon

May 20, 2017, 12:09:05 AM5/20/17
to SwitchList
Not that I'm one to do the work in implementing it, but I'll echo Jeremy's thoughts of doing the data entry on the iPad in your hand around the layout instead of going to and from the computer entering all the car data...

Though I suppose one could enter the car data into a spreadsheet on the iPad in Numbers or somesuch and then import that into SwitchList?

Jon

Gene Kruger

May 20, 2017, 9:51:51 PM5/20/17
to SwitchList
I'd love to see an iPad version. Even if it was a simplified version.

Gene Kruger

Jun 5, 2017, 7:37:11 PM6/5/17
to SwitchList
Ok Rob...I came across the instructions on how to get certain parts of Switchlist onto my iPad/iPhone...very cool and handy indeed. I got it working on my iPad but not on the iPhone unfortunately. Not sure why.

Cheers
Gene

Robert Bowdidge

Jun 7, 2017, 1:46:51 AM6/7/17
to switc...@googlegroups.com

> On Jun 5, 2017, at 4:37 PM, Gene Kruger <gene...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ok Rob...I came across the instructions on how to get certain parts of Switchlist onto my iPad/iPhone...very cool and handy indeed. I got it working on my iPad but not on the iPhone unfortunately. Not sure why.

Remember that the phone or iPad needs to be on the same wireless network as your main computer. If you don't have WiFi enabled on your phone, or haven't given your phone your WiFi password, then it wouldn't be able to talk to your Mac.

Hope this helps,

Robert

> Cheers
> Gene

Gene Kruger

Jun 8, 2017, 12:21:22 AM6/8/17
to SwitchList

I understood all that Rob but it wasn't the problem. like I said...connecting the iPad was simple but the phone, which has WiFi connectivity to my Mac just isn't connecting,

Robert Bowdidge

Jun 8, 2017, 12:54:54 AM6/8/17
to switc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Gene,

Ah, the screenshot makes all the difference.

Try 10.0.1.7:20000 (twenty thousand), not 10.0.1.7:2000 (two thousand).

The first part of that number you type in to view a switch list is the internet address for your computer: 10.0.1.7. The second number, 20000, is a port on that computer - think of it kind of like a plug on a telephone switchboard - that allows the computer to be listening for connections from all sorts of places at once. SwitchList asks for that port number by default (though it'll keep looking if that one's already being used by another program.)

Changing the default port to 19876 would make it a lot easier to copy over; I'll see about doing that.

Robert

Micheal Hodgson

Dec 31, 2017, 10:24:47 PM12/31/17
to SwitchList
I just tried hooking up my iPad. I open the webpage and my layout is listed under the banner "Layouts". I click on it and I get a message "No layout named (My layout name)"

Robert Bowdidge

Dec 31, 2017, 11:27:58 PM12/31/17
to switc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Michael,

1) Can you open the layout webpage from your Macintosh? (You should be able to just click on the link in the Switchlist Web Server window.) Do you get the same error?

2) What precisely did you give for the layout name in the Layout tab? If you've got any punctuation, odd characters, or spaces, changing the name to "simple" may make the problem go away.

Robert

Micheal Hodgson

Jan 1, 2018, 3:28:40 PM1/1/18
to SwitchList
Name was to long, easy fix.

Thank you again

Robert Bowdidge

Jan 4, 2018, 1:19:16 AM1/4/18
to switc...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Michael,

What was the name that didn't work? Length alone shouldn't have caused a problem; I'm guessing there was some punctuation character in the layout name that confused SwitchList. I'd love to know what the problem was so no one else will be caught by the problem.

Thanks,

Robert