SWINY Happy Hour Tomorrow + 2 science writing opportunities

ScienceWritersNYC

Jul 15, 2024, 12:13:41 PM (7 days ago) Jul 15
to swiny-...@googlegroups.com, swiny...@googlegroups.com

Have a drink on us at Third Tuesday Happy Hour!

July 16

Thanks to all those who came out last month for our first Third Tuesday Happy Hour. Our next happy hour is Tuesday, July 16, and the first drink is on us!

We’ll meet up around 6 pm at the Bleecker St Bar at 648 Broadway, but feel free to come whenever you can.

RSVP not required, but feel free to respond to this email if you plan to attend so we know how big of a table to grab.

Note: By attending this event you are certifying that you are not infected with, or have tested positive for, COVID-19.

Regeneron Science Talent Search is looking for science writers

The Regeneron Science Talent Search (STS) is the nation’s oldest and most prestigious science and math competition for high school seniors.

Each year, the Society for Science names 40 Regeneron STS finalists who will come to Washington, DC to compete for a top award of $250,000. The competition, now in its 84th year, has consistently identified young innovators who combine their STEM talent with dedication and leadership skills to drive society forward. Program alumni include recipients of the world’s most coveted science and math honors, including 13 Nobel Prizes and 21 MacArthur Foundation Fellowships, as well as the founders of many important science-based companies, including Regeneron.

The Society is currently looking for science writers to review the finalists’ scientific research as well as their applications and then draft short bios that the Society will use for our media outreach and on our printed and online materials. In the attached RFP, we have outlined what the Society is looking for, in terms of a timeline as well as an end product.

For more info, reach out to sci...@societyforscience.org.

Apply for a science journalism in residency program

FRONTIERS, a science journalism initiative funded by the European Research Council (ERC), has launched its second call for applications for a residency program for journalists wishing to experience an immersive period of three to five months in research institutions like the Complexity Science Hub, located in the most liveable city in the world!

We invite science journalists from all over the world to apply for a residency at the Complexity Science Hub through the program. The deadline for applications is September 25.

The Complexity Science Hub is a host institution for the FRONTIERS program, and welcomes science journalists interested in exploring new areas of research, and understanding how complexity arises and evolves in nature, society, and technology.

Detailed information about the application process can be found in the FRONTIERS Program Guide.

Our program's page provides more information about Complexity Science Hub's research and hosting conditions.

Please contact Eliza Muto, CSH’s Press Relations Officer: International Media, for further details on the program