SWINY Jobs Board: Associate editor, full-time, McMahon Group, NYC

insi...@verizon.net

Feb 6, 2023, 8:00:56 PM2/6/23
to swiny...@googlegroups.com

Job

Associate Editor

Type

Full-time

Employer

The McMahon Group LLC

Location

New York, NY

Description

McMahon Group is seeking a candidate with a Master’s in medical journalism or 3 or more years working in medical journalism. The ideal candidate must have excellent editing, writing, proofreading, fact checking, and a high level of organizational capability, and can efficiently manage multiple projects simultaneously. Experience with social media and production would be valuable. Facility with video/audio shooting/editing.

This position is a dual role, working both as an associate editor on our surgical publication as well as assisting our Custom Media division, which works with hospital systems. The position is a remote hybrid, for which there are occasional team meetings in our NYC office.

McMahon Group offers clinical newspapers, educational projects and custom media in a wide range of medical specialties. McMahon Group is recognized as a trusted source for timely, cutting-edge medical news and education by the 250,000 clinicians who receive our publications. Nearly all of our publications rank first in syndicated readership scores, and cater to our readers via websites and e-newsletters.

Qualifications

Responsibilities:

Work with the surgery magazine’s editorial team to develop the editorial line-up for monthly issues of the newsmagazine, as well as the publication’s website and e-newsletters, for an audience of healthcare professionals

Assign, evaluate, edit, and fact-check content for the newsmagazine, website, e-newsletters, blog, and web Apps

Ensure accuracy, organization, grammar, comprehensiveness, style etc. of information in the above formats
Writing, particularly for web articles, is occasionally needed

Effectively communicate with editorial board members and other experts in person, on the phone, and in writing
Interact with sales, copyediting, design, and production departments

Effectively translate dense clinical information into concise, reader-friendly formats (e.g., figures, tables, other graphical elements)

Set up/shoot/edit videos using 1 or 2 camera angles

Strong interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and grace under pressure

Knowledge of video-editing programs like Final Cut Pro

Provide suggestions to the design team regarding layout and artwork

Attend medical conferences in the U.S. as needed to identify stories, sources and topics of interest to readers, and to meet with editorial board members

Knowledge of AP style a must; familiarity with AMA style helpful

Work with Custom Media team to write and edit articles for hospital management

Interact with hospital-based marketing teams about Custom Media projects

Required experience:

Medical journalism: at least 3 years or a Master’s degree in medical journalism.

Apply

Send resume to Jeannie Moyer, HR Director, at jmo...@mcmahonmed.com.

Alan S Brown

SWINY Jobs Board