Oct. 20: The Science of the Extraordinary and the Source of Happiness

David Levine

Oct 19, 2022, 9:27:26 AM10/19/22
to Swiny members, Swiny Talk, nasw...@nasw.org

A Virtual Conversation with
Dr. Paul J. Zak, Author of Immersion: The Science of the Extraordinary and the Source of Happiness

Thursday, October 20, at 7 PM EDT on Zoom

Dr. Paul J. Zak (@pauljzak) was funded by the U.S. Department of Defense’s research arm and other government agencies to identify signals in the brain that could predict what people would do after a message or an experience. He and his research team measured about 140 different signals in the brain and identified a neurologic state called immersion—the brain’s evaluation mechanism for experiences and messages that we have. The more we value them, the more we act on them, the more we remember them and the more we enjoy them.

His new book Immersion: The Science of the Extraordinary and the Source of Happiness (Lioncrest Publishing), based on 50,000 measurements of brain activity, offers a framework readers can apply to nearly any situation to transform the ordinary to extraordinary. The data show that those who use this approach increase the impact of experiences by tenfold.

SWINY co-chair David Levine (@dlloydlevine) talks with Dr. Zak about his new book, the 20 years of neuroscience research from his lab and innumerable client applications that went into the making of this book, and more.

About Dr. Paul J. Zak

Paul J. Zak, PhD, is a professor of economics, psychology, and management at Claremont Graduate University. He is ranked in the top 0.3 percent of most-cited scientists with over 170 published papers and more than 18,000 citations. He helped start several interdisciplinary fields, including neuroeconomics, neuromanagement, and neuromarketing.

Dr. Zak’s  research has made a substantial impact in explaining the variation in human social behaviors. He is a regular TED speaker. His TED Talk titled “Trust, Morality—and Oxytocin?” has been viewed nearly two million times. A four-time tech entrepreneur and corporate consultant, Dr. Zak co-founded the first neuroscience-as-a-service (NaaS) company, Immersion Neuroscience.

He frequently appears in the media, including Good Morning America, the BBC, NBC’s The Today Show, CNN, and Fox & Friends. His groundbreaking research has been reported in The New York TimesThe Wall Street JournalTimeThe EconomistScientific AmericanForbes, and many other publications.

Have a question for Dr. Zak you would like answered? Submit it here!

When:
Thursday, October 20
7 to 8 pm EDT

Registerhttps://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_LWFTmEQnTvG0YhtY19BUgQ