SWINY Jobs Board: Senior Science Writer, Full-Time, Michael J. Fox Foundation, NYC Office/Remote/Hybrid

insi...@verizon.net

Apr 13, 2023, 10:12:27 AM4/13/23
to swiny...@googlegroups.com

Job

Senior Science Writer

Type

Full-time

Employer

Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research

Location

Office/Remote/Hybrid; New York, NY

Description

The Senior Science Writer is responsible for writing and editing clear, compelling and scientifically accurate content that conveys the objectives and promise of MJFF’s research programs and engagement initiatives to speed a cure for Parkinson’s disease.

The Michael J. Fox Foundation (MJFF) is seeking top talent for its Senior Science Writer position. This is a terrific opportunity for a seasoned writer and editor with a passion for scientific discovery who will hold primary responsibility for distilling complex subject matter into relatable and practical information to engage the Foundation’s diverse audience of patients, families and supporters. This senior-level role will be responsible for writing and editing clear, compelling and scientifically accurate content that conveys the objectives and promise of MJFF’s research programs and engagement initiatives to speed a cure for Parkinson’s disease.

This position offers flexibility in working in person at our New York (Midtown) office, remotely or a hybrid schedule. Some travel may be required (~5%).

Primary Duties & Responsibilities:

Reporting to the Director of Communications, this position will lead on the creation of a range of high-quality materials including proposals for individual donors, corporations and foundations; grant reports; feature stories for MJFF’s annual publications; blog reports on the latest scientific findings; and other content as needed. This individual will also serve as a bridge between the Research and Communications teams, relaying information on programmatic activities and using strong news judgment to provide a journalistic point of view on what should be reported to our non-scientific audiences. Responsibilities include:

  • Communicate the latest research, opportunities for participation and ways in which research connects to clinical care to patients, families and supporters, particularly high-capacity donors.
  • Prepare, edit, proofread and finalize documents and related materials including, but not limited to: funding reports, proposals, briefs and fact sheets; long-form feature stories in our publications; blog reports from the field; talking points and briefers for leadership; and more.
    • Gather and collect information from internal and external research key opinion leaders on scientific and other content required for writing assignments.
  • Produce technical, clear and compelling scientific content for a wide range of audiences, including patients, families, current and prospective donors and Board members.
  • Prepare high-quality, fact-based materials that reflect MJFF’s role as a pioneering disease research nonprofit that convey the promise of our mission.
  • Serve as a subject matter expert, providing mentorship and inputs to all content creators on the Communications team.
  • Manage a roster of freelancers and writing consultants to support various projects, as necessary.

About Us:

The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) was founded in 2000 with one clear objective: accelerating meaningful therapeutic advances and, ultimately, a cure for Parkinson’s disease (PD). The Foundation applies extraordinary scientific, business and media assets to this singular focus—thus creating a unique and dynamic organization. Since inception, MJFF has quickly grown into the largest nonprofit funder of Parkinson’s disease research, having funded over $1.5 billion in research projects in both academic and industry labs worldwide.

Core to our philosophy is how we think of our capital and its risk profile relative to other stakeholders in the drug development pipeline. We work aggressively to de-risk various therapeutic strategies and tools in the hopes of building a robust pipeline of new treatments for patients. In order to achieve our mission of finding a cure for PD it is critical that we engage with, and bring together, members of the PD community including researchers, physicians, health professionals and most important, people with Parkinson's and their families.

We believe that to find a cure for PD as quickly as possible, our capital needs to push research forward today—we therefore deliberately hold no endowment or excessive reserves. We instead seek to deploy funds raised as quickly and wisely as possible. MJFF raises over $100 million annually. Today, the Foundation has approximately 200 full-time employees. We offer a collegial and collaborative environment where optimistic problem-solvers and entrepreneurial, resourceful individuals can thrive and make a tangible difference for millions of people living with Parkinson’s disease.

Salary and Benefits:

The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $115,000.  In addition to salary, The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research (MJFF) offers a comprehensive benefits package, including:

  • 15+ options for medical insurance (with MJFF paying 90 percent of the premiums).
  • Competitive dental and vision plans.
  • 401(k) plan with 6 percent employer contribution.
  • Flexible spending accounts.
  • Employer paid life and disability insurance.
  • 18 days Paid Time Off (PTO); 12 Well-Being (Sick) Days; 1 Floating Holiday; summer Fridays (office closure at 2pm) and a summer holiday week over July 4.

Employees are also eligible for a discretionary bonus on an annual basis. MJFF provides staff and leadership cultivation through regular training courses and events. The Foundation values workplace flexibility, with staff and leadership working together to determine when, where and how programs and projects get done.

Qualifications

The successful candidate must bring the following skills and expertise:

  • Bachelor’s degree in journalism or marketing/communications, preferably for nonprofit and mission-based organizations, in biomedical research, public health or health care.
  • Superior writing and strategic messaging to distill complex scientific concepts into compelling, accessible storytelling and materials to engage audiences in our mission to speed towards a cure.
  • Comfort interacting directly with PhD scientists to understand and communicate their work.
  • Strong news judgment.
  • Ability to place specific Foundation-driven research findings into the context of our mission and place it in the context of the larger Parkinson’s research and care landscape.
  • Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, write and compile multi-faceted written reports, publications and the like for maximum impact.
  • Ability to edit the work of others as relevant to your projects.
  • Success working on and with integrated teams to develop  an understanding of the full marketing spectrum (creative, social, digital, etc.).
  • Effective and efficient project management, including proactive and collaborative development of work plans and timelines.
  • Proven success in producing high-quality work quickly and under pressure, working cross-functionally and with urgency across different internal stakeholders and outside partners.
  • Ability to understand and absorb MJFF’s optimistic, problem-solving approach to Parkinson’s drug development and incorporate its clear, organizational voice in their professional writing.
  • Demonstrated leadership ability in managing third party freelancers and consultants.

How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing their specific qualifications and interest in the position.

https://app.trinethire.com/companies/50725-the-michael-j-fox-foundation/jobs/74833-senior-science-writer

Vaccine Statement:

At The Michael J. Fox Foundation (MJFF), the health and safety of our team and our community is a priority. MJFF has made the decision to require all staff receive the COVID-19 vaccine as a condition of employment. Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated by date of hire and proof of vaccine is required. Full vaccination is defined as two weeks after both doses of two-dose vaccine or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, because of medical or religious reasons, can request a reasonable accommodation for consideration.

MJFF is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from individuals who will contribute to our efforts to build and support a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce. Diversity may refer to characteristics including, but not limited to, race, religion, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic circumstance, geographic background, ability and disability, political ideology and age.

Alan S Brown

SWINY Jobs Board