State of the Hackspace

Robert Longbottom

Jul 1, 2014, 5:24:13 PM7/1/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Hackers,

The Swindon Hackspace has been up and running and having regular weekly meetings for just over two years now.  Thanks to everyone who has attended and contributed.  I’ve been updating the Hackspace accounts and also looking at attendance and membership numbers to see how we are getting on and thought it would be worth sharing these with the group.

Members and Attendance

Attendance

Year

Average

Max

2012

6.1

10

2013

5.5

11

2014

5.5

10

We currently have a list of around 80 people who have at some point expressed and interest in the Hackspace, 66 people who are signed up to the Google group, 24 who have at some point paid the £10 yearly membership fee.  According to the attendance log we are averaging around 5 to 6 people per night at the weekly meetings (though that can be quite variable) and topping out at around 10.  Our busiest night was back in March 2013 when 11 people turned up.

Week 22/23 zero attendance in 2013 and 2014 because we went to the pub to celebrate our anniversary :-)

Finances

We currently have positive funds (which is nice) – our only source of income is the membership fee and the money taken on the door at the weekly meetings.  The Museum of Computing currently takes 75% of the door money (£3 of the £4) to cover their costs for our use of the space (lighting, heating, etc).  We buy in bits as and when needed, be that useful tools or supplies; expenditure is agreed between the members who regularly attend the Wednesday meetings.

Income

Expenditure

2012

£            211

 £          99.23

2013

£            272

 £          65.38

2014

£            110

 £               -

Totals

£            593

 £        164.61

Current Balance

£        428.39

Happy hacking!

Rob.

jmeosbn .

Jul 1, 2014, 5:30:04 PM7/1/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Great work Rob!  And a pretty chart too. :)

The attendance fluctuation seems mostly random, but evens out towards the average between Jul/Aug and Jan/Feb.

I'd be interested in any other inferences that can be made from the chart..

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jul 1, 2014, 5:47:27 PM7/1/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I was pleased with my pretty chart :-). Not sure what it tells us really, but there you go.

The only other thing I should have said is that I sent the accounts details to Simon for him to check last week since he holds our money but I've not heard back yet.  Until we do I guess figures are provisional, but it gives an idea of where we are if nothing else.

Rob.

Gyrobot

Aug 11, 2014, 5:46:28 PM8/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Loosely connected this thread, but I thought it was a good read :

http://makezine.com/magazine/make-40/how-to-make-a-makerspace/

Jamie Osborne

Aug 11, 2014, 6:38:24 PM8/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Nice link. I did check her bio, as it starting with "clean the space, paint the walls..." made me hope there was a previous article with tips to *get* a space. ;)

Jamie

> On 11 Aug 2014, at 22:46, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Loosely connected this thread, but I thought it was a good read :
>
> http://makezine.com/magazine/make-40/how-to-make-a-makerspace/

Robert Longbottom

Aug 12, 2014, 3:59:05 AM8/12/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, interesting. "however long you think it will take to open, triple that"

Damian Axford

Aug 12, 2014, 12:17:25 PM8/12/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
potential link-up opportunity:

will give their organiser a call to discuss...

Gyrobot

Nov 27, 2014, 5:37:51 AM11/27/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Another name to add to the Makerspace/Hackspace/Fablab etc collection - Makerversity

http://makerversity.co.uk/why/ - Looks like a good one in London.

Robert Longbottom

Dec 23, 2014, 5:58:36 AM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

It's year end, so I thought I'd update our accounts spreadsheet - its on the Google drive for anyone who wants to take a look.  The headline is that this year the hackspace has made £246 from membership and attendance fees, plus £37.20 from the 3D print day.  Of that we've spent £42.95 on parts for the 3d printer and some filament.  So overall this year we are up £240.25 and the hackspace has a grand total of £553.44.

This year 8 people have paid the £10 yearly membership fee. Looking at the 2nd half of 2014 the number of people regularly turning up on wed night has been increasing, which tallys with how it feels to have been going recently and is good news.

Start thinking of idea for what we can hack on next year :-)
Rob.

Jess Robinson

Dec 23, 2014, 6:42:35 AM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Rob!

Ooh, I almost forgot: Add £2 to the money I'm holding, from Heather and Bobby the other day who came in to print Bobby's pendant design.

Jess

Robert Longbottom

Dec 23, 2014, 9:53:29 AM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Sure, have added that to the petty cash sheet.

Cheers,
Rob.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 26, 2015, 7:05:31 AM10/26/15
to swindon-hackspace
Hi All,

As a precursor to tomorrow nights pub meeting, I thought I'd update the accounts spreadsheet.  So far this year, the hackspace has taken £681, of which £511 has gone to the Museum for use of the space, leaving £170 for us.  We've spent £91.89, so we have £77.79 left.

Taking that and adding it to the 2014 end of year total (£553.44) gives us a balance of £631.23.  We also have £7.20 in petty cash.

Obligatory rough attendance graph:

Cheers,

Rob.

Damian Axford

Oct 26, 2015, 8:07:19 AM10/26/15
to swindon-hackspace
good stuff, cheers Rob - and a little over £600 should lead to a lively discussion tomorrow on how to spend it :)

Gyrobot

Oct 27, 2015, 3:09:51 AM10/27/15
to swindon-hackspace
Thank you Rob,

Oooo, the dizzy heights of 12 attendees one week.
I guess the lack of annual membership makes a small difference in the kitty too.

See you all tonight.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 27, 2015, 4:52:42 AM10/27/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yes annual membership will make a small difference.  I think 8 people paid it last year, so it would amount to another £40 for the Hackspace.