Nano quadcopter competition

Malcolm Pett

Dec 18, 2014, 4:58:00 AM12/18/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

After a fun night with the nano quadcopter we talked about maybe getting together and starting a race night.

The thought was to hire a hall or larger indoor space for a couple of hours and then set up courses and landing zones or targets to fly to.

The nano quads will be the best for this.

So husban or I found this one

Night Fly Mini Heli-Nano Bolt X12G w/Gyro RC Quadcopter Q4 Micro Quad Drone

Ill try the direct link...

There are others as well but I suppose we should come up with some maximum measurements or that they should all use the small husban blades.

They all come in around 70 x 45 x 27.

Let me know if your interested and I can start making some plans for next year.

Mal

Robert Longbottom

Dec 18, 2014, 5:09:22 AM12/18/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Count me in if standard size hubsans (or 3d printed variants) are welcome.

Worth mentioning to the drone flying group as well, some of them might come up.

Rob.

Jamie Osborne

Dec 18, 2014, 5:22:23 AM12/18/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm in! To provide entertainment (crashes) if nothing else!

Jamie

Damian Axford

Dec 18, 2014, 6:19:22 AM12/18/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
in - and I like the idea of limiting to blade size or perhaps small enough to fit in a coffee cup :)

things I'd like to try:
  • Pylon racing (probably round pipe insulation poles)
  • Red-bull air race style racing or time-trials - through a mix of pipe insulation gates, with required manoeuvres
  • Obstacle course (timed or just points) - land on targets, in targets (coffee cup, Jess' hat), pass through gates of various sizes, cut ribbons, burst balloons

Jess Robinson

Dec 18, 2014, 9:05:12 AM12/18/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Hmm, I dont think the hubsan will fit in a coffee cup.. how about "in Jess' hat" instead? ;)

Jess

Robert Longbottom

Dec 18, 2014, 9:11:41 AM12/18/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I have a cup it will fit in :-)

Malcolm Pett

Dec 18, 2014, 12:53:41 PM12/18/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
LOL yeah I can even land in that!

We let you in with the hubsan Rob but it may not last...lol

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 11:55:21 AM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
So, what's the best one to get. I've at least heard of Hubsa, so the one at ebuyer would seem to be the obvious choice - I'm a little put of by the exposed board to the rotors though..

The controller on the SYMA looks a bit more functional, and the reviews are good if you ignore the assembly issues!

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 11:59:29 AM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
The Hubsan also takes 2xAAA, while the SYMA uses 4xAA - would imply the SYMA is bigger/flys longer though that's not easy to tell from the specs.

What are the best batteries to buy for it?

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 12:00:57 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Doh, that's the transmitter - which I guess is going to outlast the 'copter multiple times at least..

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Dec 19, 2014, 12:04:49 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, transmitter batteries last "forever", think I've changed my hubsan transmitter batteries twice(?) in the last year.

I haven't looked into either, but in general I'd want one where you can easily get hold of spares.  Also one where you can have multiple flight batteries and swap them over rather than waiting for a built in battery to charge between flights, since charge times are generally ~1hr.

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 12:17:29 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Good thinking, most of the spares on that site seem to be for the Hubsan X4 - is that the one you have?

They have this one for what seems to be a good price - only ships from China though, which is a shame (want to play with it over Xmas!). Amazon have it but also non-UK sellers (there is one from Belgium for £32).

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Dec 19, 2014, 12:27:02 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that looks like the Hubsan I've got.  I don't know if there is a more "modern" version though.  I guess not if they are still selling that one.

Jamie Osborne

Dec 19, 2014, 12:30:43 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
It's apparently a "Verion 2 Upgraded" with various design improvements.

One of the pages on it had them shown on. Not sure how new it is though.

Is this any bigger than the others then?

Jamie

Robert Longbottom

Dec 19, 2014, 12:38:37 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I think mine was a V2 as well.  Not sure now.

Well it's bigger than the smaller ones....  obviously :-)

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 12:43:28 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I've not seen them to compare, so not sure how much bigger they are (specs are unclear).

Just noticed that banggood also see the Hubsan Nano for more than ebuyer charge (and it only ships from (China).  No spares listed for it though, but it is one of their newest products so I expect that will change.

Buyer also had the X4 listed at £32 with camera though it's out of stock now (like the rest of UK seems to be).

I may order the ebuyer husban in a bit.. though I hope to find some battery packs and blades for it at some point.

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 12:58:09 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ordered the Hubsan Nano Q4 Quadcopter from eBuyer. Seems like the cheapest price and from a proper UK seller.

Spares are available on Amazon - but at a price that's more expensive than buying another 'copter - but I expect it should be easy to find the parts on eBay..

Jamie Osborne

Malcolm Pett

Dec 19, 2014, 2:09:58 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Certainly impressive...
The one I have is more like this

It's strange though because mine doesn't seem to need 30 minutes charging time.

Seem to be charged in around 10 minutes.

I bought these spares the other day just because of the props!

Although I like that husban and will probably get it at some stage.

Mal

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 2:26:04 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that looks like a reasonable deal...

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Dec 19, 2014, 4:29:48 PM12/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That said, the Nano comes with a spare set of blades and only costs two quid more for the whole kit.  Now I'm thinking of ordering another for the blades, battery and other spares!!

Jamie Osborne

Damian Axford

Dec 23, 2014, 6:26:52 AM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
silly challenges:
  • Sink-hole - fly down through a large diameter cardboard tube - perhaps 1ft diameter, 2-3 ft tall - tricky because you can't see what's happening inside the tube
  • You've Got Mail (YGM) - fly through a rectangular opening the size of a standard UK letterbox
  • Silhouette - make a cool ripped silhouette shape in tissue paper
  • Lay-up - fly up through one horizontal hoop and immediately down through an adjacent horizontal hoop
  • Time tunnel - fly through a series of vertical hoops - at least 3
  • Crew cut - Trim hanging strips of tissue paper, more points the shorter you can cut it
  • Limbo - fly under low bar
  • Thin Lizzy - fly through a narrow gap between two cardboard walls
  • Slalom - fly through staggered gates
  • Quad Shy - try to knock over a stack of paper cups
  • Ivory Tower - land on top of a tall tower, with a small landing area - thinking 6 inch diameter
  • Bongo - play drums by landing on them, points for rhythm
Bonus points for adding a flip into any of the above...

Robert Longbottom

Dec 23, 2014, 9:56:53 AM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Like them.  Though I don't get "silhouette"...

YGM; extra points if you can get through that stupidly small opening that now deem to be a small package :-)

Also, I wonder if we can make some electronic gates that detect when a copter has gone through so we can do timed runs.

Damian Axford

Dec 23, 2014, 10:29:34 AM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
:)

For silhouette... Think cartoon character running through a wall and leaving a comedic outline.

Timing gates sound like an excellent hack... That should be a one evening job with arduino or Pi

Robert Longbottom

Dec 23, 2014, 10:36:48 AM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, right, yes that makes sense.

Yeah, I was thinking it should be quite easy to make some gates, just not
sure what detectors to use. In general IR gates would only detect large
things going through. So I'm not sure what I'd use for that....

Damian Axford

Dec 23, 2014, 12:57:13 PM12/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Could try a single source led and multiple detectors to catch little things.... Or multiple led/transistor pairs like rungs on a ladder

Jamie Osborne

Dec 24, 2014, 6:22:54 AM12/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hubsans have arrived. First impression is that the exposed circuit does look vulnerable - hopefully I'll still have one intact for the new year!

Jamie

Malcolm Pett

Dec 24, 2014, 8:47:27 AM12/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Have fun Jamie...
Still waiting for my X4 :-(

Mal

jmeosbn .

Dec 24, 2014, 9:48:00 AM12/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Cheers! Think I'm starting to get that hang of it!! :P

Was that the X4 from Belgium? (all the others were Asian suppliers I think.)

Jamie Osborne

Jan 6, 2015, 12:50:14 PM1/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Did your X4 arrive yet then? Wouldn't mind seeing it tomorrow as I may get the same one (and Steve may be bringing his to show too).

Jamie

Malcolm Pett

Jan 6, 2015, 2:31:12 PM1/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yep got it today...gone through two blades already lol...printing off a protector now will bring it tomorrow night.

jmeosbn .

Jan 6, 2015, 2:48:16 PM1/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ha! I was doing really well with only one broken blade so far - until this afternoon when I half-stepped on the copter and bent the two rear blades. :(

Just dug up the link for your eBay blades; do they all use the same standard size/fitting (so will fit mine)?

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Jan 6, 2015, 5:21:34 PM1/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
One of my rotors which had been "sticky" (occasionally needing a flick to start), now refuses to spin without some help!

Is this a common issue?  I considered WD40 but not sure if that will help or harm.

Mal, did you get those Q4 spares (just for the props) you mentioned recently? I could buy the unneeded hubsan specifics bits if you like? :)

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jan 6, 2015, 5:25:48 PM1/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Could be that it needs a new motor.  Those tiny motors are quite fragile and do just stop working eventually.

jmeosbn

Jan 6, 2015, 9:20:34 PM1/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
The motor does seem to work, but not from standstill. I might buy the spares pack Mal linked to, as it includes two motors... Though it still seems a better deal to buy another Q4 - except ebuyer are out of stock now!

---
Sent from Boxer | http://getboxer.com

Robert Longbottom

Jan 7, 2015, 4:00:00 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Doesn't sound like its very healthy either way.  Does it spin freely if you just flick it with no power?  If not it sounds like its on the way out and that probably means it will be drawing more current than the other motors which will hurt flight times.  Maybe you twisted something when you stood on it!

Jamie Osborne

Jan 7, 2015, 6:40:10 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ha! Yes, that was my first though; however, I did have this problem intermittently before (and I think - but not sure - that it was the other one that met my foot!).

It does turn freely without power, spins normally once moving, and is otherwise no different externally to the other (doesn't looks bent or look/feel different in any other way).

I may try wd40 later and then get a replacement - likely another full copter if I can find it at the same price!

Jamie

jmeosbn .

Jan 7, 2015, 10:40:19 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
On closer inspection, the motor only runs at about 1/3 speed.

However, while my (gentle) step would be a good explanation, I am reassured that it wasn't those props - on either copter - that I stepped on, as my step only clipped two red props and it's a white one that's bad...

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jan 7, 2015, 11:09:40 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Ah, sounds like you need a new motor then. Maybe an earlier crash caused some damage or maybe its just dying of natural causes.

jmeosbn .

Jan 7, 2015, 11:29:21 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yup. Perhaps Mal will sell me his needed spares.... :)

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Jan 7, 2015, 11:31:41 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Or.. eBuyer have just got more stock in if anyone wanted to snag one (£17).

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jan 7, 2015, 11:36:02 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I think I'll stick to my X4 for now.

jmeosbn .

Jan 7, 2015, 11:39:18 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I think I'll get one of those too soon - seems everybody else has them so we could have two classes for nano and micro. :)

We'll have to do something if they are all the same colour though!

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jan 7, 2015, 11:49:30 AM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I'll be okay, mine has a custom frame :-)

Jamie Osborne

Jan 7, 2015, 12:24:57 PM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Nice, I don't think I've seen that have I? Are you bringing it tonight?

Jamie

Robert Longbottom

Jan 7, 2015, 12:34:06 PM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yes its in the bag, just charging batteries!

jmeosbn .

Jan 7, 2015, 12:35:50 PM1/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome - should see a few X4s tonight hopefully.

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Jan 8, 2015, 3:23:58 PM1/8/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
So, are we doing nano quads or micro, or both?

Reason I ask is that I've just had another motor go on my other Q4 (should just be a resolder job on this one) and have had a return approved for both. However, eBuyer are out of stock again so may just buy an X4 from elsewhere...

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jan 9, 2015, 3:49:57 AM1/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

It seemed to be going okay with both on wed night.  I don't see much point in limiting it to one or the other because then you end up excluding people.  Its up to the pilot what they want to fly :-)

Damian Axford

Jan 9, 2015, 6:52:10 AM1/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
ditto....  I'm going to stick with the nano quads for now and probably get an X4 in the summer :)

Jamie Osborne

Jan 9, 2015, 1:47:04 PM1/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I may just get an X4 then for now - maybe pickup the cheerson nano at some point.

Jamie

Malcolm Pett

Jan 9, 2015, 3:11:16 PM1/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Rob both seemed ok together.

Jamie Osborne

Jan 10, 2015, 10:01:01 AM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
A quick question about X4s: are the motors the only difference with the camera carrying X4 107C and 107D - and are they the same for the C and D variants?

I'm planning to buy a crash pack for the 107D and use it with the 107C. Is the body shell any different or can I use the one from a 107D with a 107C (or even the standard 107L) ?

Jamie

Jamie Osborne

Jan 10, 2015, 11:17:26 AM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
After looking carefully at some photos, one obvious difference that I should have guessed at, is the 107D has a carrier for the live video antenna, whereas the 107C has a microsd slot.

I was hoping I could use the 107D white body shell in place of the red one that come with the 107C. I guess I still could, if I didn't mind the superfluous antenna bracket, and possibly losing (easy) access to the sd card (which I don't).

I'm hoping that at least the motors are the same - as I may still go this route.

Jamie

Jamie Osborne

Jan 10, 2015, 11:20:27 AM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that answers that then (they are).

Jamie

Peter Collins

Jan 10, 2015, 1:04:24 PM1/10/15
to swindon-hackspace
Hi Jamie,

Sorry the late coming to this thread I have been lurking on here for a while, hello all anyway :)

jfyi there is a very active Facebook group call hubsan x4 owners page with a large number of uk members. A lot of them are knowledgeable people and share a lot of mods and hacks which you may find useful.

I know some people buy the 107C but remove the camera module to make it faster.

However if you are looking at motors I replaced mine with some from micro motor warehouse and would highly recommend them. They make a difference, quicker more responsive and much nicer flight.

Rgds

Peter.

jmeosbn .

Jan 10, 2015, 1:06:59 PM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I know some people buy the 107C but remove the camera module to make it faster.

Ah! That's exactly what I was thinking I might try, as the camera module looks very easy to remove (2 wire connector).

I'm going with the red and white 107C + the 107D crash pack. :D

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Jan 10, 2015, 1:09:51 PM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
P.S. I should have also mentioned, that Hackspace Wednesdays lately have featured a few quadcopter sessions - so come down and join in!

Jamie Osborne

Peter Collins

Jan 10, 2015, 1:14:16 PM1/10/15
to swindon-hackspace
I would but I'm based on the South coast, but I do travel with work say may pop in one day if I'm up your way :)

I just enjoying watching what all the various spaces around the UK are doing and the ideas that come from them.

I also enjoy having people Bracken @ Southampton who can help me with motors transplants on my hubsan :)

jmeosbn .

Jan 10, 2015, 3:26:22 PM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Just ordered these reasonably priced X4 props from UK stock - price is bit cheaper than on Amazon, and they were from Germany...

Jamie Osborne

Peter Collins

Jan 10, 2015, 3:47:52 PM1/10/15
to swindon-hackspace
A lot of people swear by the Walkera Ladybird props. I'm using them at the moment and they seem to be better quality.

Also the clear props are getting good ratings as they feel tighter with less flex, also they enhance the LEDs is a positive.

Talking of which a lot of people file the back (edge closet the motor) of they LED's to back them more visible.

These are the motors I'm running - pricey but worth it for a good flight:

Lots of people are also printing their own chassis which may interest you.

jmeosbn .

Jan 10, 2015, 3:50:11 PM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think I'll have a go at printing one myself at some point - Rob, one of our members, has done just that. :)

I almost bought some blue and transparent props - but weren't sure of their "pedigree"..

Jamie Osborne

Peter Collins

Jan 10, 2015, 4:02:00 PM1/10/15
to swindon-hackspace
Well if you'll anything like me they soon be broken :)

Have you seen quadrewcopter on youtube, some good fpv and hubsan fun, this is one of my favourites:

He's based in Bristol and does quite a bit of modding, not sure if he's closer enough to be interest in the space

Robert Longbottom

Jan 10, 2015, 4:03:14 PM1/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

This is my 3d printed one http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:453236. It flies pretty well and the frame has survived quite a few crashes, though it tends to throw the battery off in hard crashes which always looks spectacular, but usually goes back together without any trouble.

The link to those motors is quite interesting, especially the lifetime of 5-6 hours!

Peter Collins

Jan 10, 2015, 4:09:36 PM1/10/15
to swindon-hackspace
My stock hubsan frame has thrown the battery a number of times in hard crashes so wouldn't see that as a negative :)

This is the facebook group I referenced before if it's of interest: