Binocular Parallelogram mount for Astronomy

Damian Axford

Jun 19, 2014, 10:13:09 AM6/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all...

quick project on the go for my dad (an avid astronomer), who has just got some rather nice Helios Apollo 15x70 binos and we've been discussing the idea of making a parallelogram mount stand to make using them a little more comfortable.  So...  I'm quite the fan of aluminium extrusions and printed brackets, so have have been putting together a design in OpenSCAD ready for prototyping.  Here's the latest WIP shot:

...and attached is the PDF drawing I did to plan out the basic dimensions/design.

This is designed to mate to a Manfrotto 055x tripod, or surveying tripods with an adapter plate.

Thoughts/comments welcome - and will post a bit more detail as I finish the design..... currently printing off a few of the parts to test fit them on some alu.  Will also be doing some stress tests to ensure they can handle the loads involved.

Cheers
PMount.pdf