New Post: PiFace Control And Display Board

1 view

Jamie Osborne

May 8, 2014, 3:53:03 PM5/8/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

PiFace Control And Display Board

Author: Robert Longbottom

The Hackspace recently took delivery of a PiFace Control and Display board from Farnell. It is an add-on board for the Raspberry Pi that includes a 16 character by 2 line display, five push buttons, a toggle button and an IR receiver.

Read More..

jmeosbn

May 8, 2014, 5:03:07 PM5/8/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, snhac...@gmail.com
Great post Rob!  I enjoyed both the text, and the writing style. :)

I'll have to follow your tutorial some evening (and get my own RPi post up!).  I wonder if I can (easily) fit a more appropriately coloured LCD for home theatre use (I'm thinking white on blue, possibly VFD).  I'll have to have a closer look on Wednesday...

Gyrobot

May 9, 2014, 5:53:25 AM5/9/14
Yes ditto, very good Rob, well done. Looking forward to further updates and the 100 emails later to get it published ;-)

I have started to write mine regarding the RasPicam and the whole print server thing.

Also, I have let Tim know and this was his response :

Hey Steve,
That's fantastic, quite cool that it can output the logo!!
Couldn't have asked for better, really! Hope you had a good time tinkering and maybe learned a few things also. Keen to see what the other hackspace members make of it and look forward to seeing it up and running with your 3Dprinter!
Hope we can work together again!
Might have something with conductive ink in the pipeline, if that sounds interesting for members.
All the best, have a great weekend.
Tim

Now then, "conductive ink" for the pen plotter, is this something groundbreaking????????

Robert Longbottom

May 9, 2014, 6:10:26 AM5/9/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks guys.  I found the main bulk of the article pretty easy to write for once, which is maybe why its come out quite well.

I'm still looking into what to do wrt printer control, but people will have seen the tweet showing displaying temperatures from Wednesday nights session.  That was using the repetier api.  I'll also be looking into the octoprint api, which appears to be similar, though maybe a little more basic unless you are running the very latest code.

Nice feedback from Tim as well.  Conductive ink sounds interesting.  Maybe we can have some light up hackspace t-shirts :-)

On 9 May 2014 10:52:11 Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

Yes ditto, very good Rob, well done. Looking forward to further updates and 100 emails later to get it published ;-)

I have started to write mine regarding the RasPicam and the whole print server thing.

Also I have let Tim know and here was his response :

Hey Steve,
That's fantastic, quite cool that it can output the logo!!
Couldn't have asked for better, really! Hope you had a good time tinkering and maybe learned a few things also. Keen to see what the other hackspace members make of it and look forward to seeing it up and running with your 3Dprinter!
Hope we can work together again!
Might have something with conductive ink in the pipeline, if that sounds interesting for members.
All the best, have a great weekend.
Tim

Now then, "conductive ink" for the pen plotter, is this something groundbreaking????????

Damian Axford

May 13, 2014, 5:13:00 AM5/13/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, snhac...@gmail.com
cool - great intro article :)