Gyrobot

Feb 6, 2015, 6:27:24 AM2/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
A preview of the upcoming FreeCAD interface.

http://youtu.be/wrOP7sLqwiM

Jamie Osborne

Feb 6, 2015, 7:14:32 AM2/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Looks promising; hopefully he'll tackle the toolbar mess stealing so much vertical space next - or at least make them usable vertically on the Mac (and anywhere else they're broken) or provide some way to save vertical space (ribbons!!*)

Weird that he's kept with the visual studio style titlebar/tool palette metaphor, but they do provide the shade functionality and can at least be disabled. Also weird that you need to resize the whole (catia-like) tree width instead of the child items simply being only as wide as they need to be! Vertical tabs would make more sense for vertically stacked palette - hopefully these points are all readily apparent to the dev and we'll see them soon enough.

"You can build really awesome interfaces" - I hope he includes a default setup; I don't really want to build an interface when I use a cad software! With sensible defaults I don't see why this wouldn't replace the current ui.

Steve, where's the source link for this video? Was it a blog/forum post?

*a ribbon-like idea would work quite well as top level menu entries on the right hand side (would need a certain width window) used to show single toolbars as required (maybe by mouse over rather than explicit "hoover" or click-selecting).

Jamie

On 6 Feb 2015, at 11:27, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

A preview of the upcoming FreeCAD interface.

http://youtu.be/wrOP7sLqwiM

Gyrobot

Feb 7, 2015, 4:51:59 PM2/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Steve, where's the source link for this video? Was it a blog/forum post?

It was posted on a FreeCAD community that I am following on Google+

And more specifically this post :

jmeosbn .

Feb 7, 2015, 5:33:38 PM2/7/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thx! Weirdly, I did try a google for it.. :/

Jamie Osborne

Gyrobot

May 29, 2015, 6:26:39 AM5/29/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

This looks like a free, cool little easy to use CAD package called Antimony.

https://vimeo.com/125111378

jmeosbn .

May 29, 2015, 7:22:07 AM5/29/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Looks pretty nifty - love the node based graph (look like yahoo pipes). Will have to see how it performs against openscad.
On Fri, 29 May 2015 at 11:26, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

This looks like a free, cool little easy to use CAD package called Antimony.

https://vimeo.com/125111378

Robert Longbottom

May 29, 2015, 8:08:50 AM5/29/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, looks pretty nice.  A bit like a modern version of freecad.

Its also number 1 on "hacker news" at the minute.

I'll have to try the Linux version.

jmeosbn .

May 29, 2015, 9:23:08 AM5/29/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
It seems to be voxel based though - exporting as stl ask for a resolution and the output object is blocky while the filesize is fairly large. Enabling 'detect features' improves curves but still not great.

Damian Axford

May 29, 2015, 10:47:25 AM5/29/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, jme...@gmail.com
booo..... instant disappointment :(

Gyrobot

Jun 2, 2015, 6:38:38 AM6/2/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't get it to compile on my Linux vbox, failed during the "make -j8" phase

I had to download the 32bit version of Qt despite the fact that it recognised my system as 64bit. the 64bit package wouldn't execute whereas the 32bit would.

Maybe somebody could offer help on Wednesday perhaps?

jmeosbn .

Jun 2, 2015, 6:58:41 AM6/2/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
The obvious suggestions I would make are covered in the docs so I'll skip that... However, 10hrs ago there was a new release - changes include 'Fixed building on a variety of Linux systems'.