OpenSCAD 5wk Course - Starts 15th Oct!

Damian Axford

Oct 15, 2014, 6:52:50 AM10/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

As agreed at last nights planning meeting, I'll be running an extended OpenSCAD training course starting tonight (15th Oct), and lasting for approx 5wks (might be able to trim it to 4 depending on how we get on).

Course outline on the wiki at:

I'll also flesh out lesson content on the wiki each week.

Each session will last approx 1hr and will be hands-on, with practise/home-work suggestions to get stuck into between sessions.

If you'd like to join in - please come armed with a laptop and the latest version of OpensCAD - http://www.openscad.org

thanks

Damian Axford

Oct 16, 2014, 4:49:54 AM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Thanks for joining in with the first session last night - obviously went on a bit more than an hour (!), but fortunately only because we got stuck into the robot design :)

The git repo for the lesson files is here (still populating some of the examples):

and I'll start a sep thread on logobot and setup the associated git repo shortly

Jamie Osborne

Oct 16, 2014, 7:21:02 AM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Damian, it was a good session! (And no worries about going long)

Jamie

Robert Longbottom

Oct 16, 2014, 8:01:12 AM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, thanks for that, some good pointers on style and approach.

Rob.

Damian Axford

Oct 16, 2014, 11:31:45 AM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
thanks guys.... I've posted some extra examples to the git repo - let me know if you'd like any more:

Malcolm Pett

Oct 16, 2014, 11:43:16 AM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Really enjoyed it Damian maybe I can finally put tinkercad to bed!

Real shame I can not come every week at the moment...

Notes please :-)

Mal

Damian Axford

Oct 16, 2014, 11:53:16 AM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome - glad it was interesting/useful.

The outline notes are on the wiki:

and there's a link from there to the git repo with the examples.  Have a look through them and let me know if you need any more detail.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 21, 2014, 6:51:57 AM10/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
For anyone who is interested, the latest OpenSCAD development snapshot available for download for their website includes a new code editor and some other UI improvements.

It also (in my one-off, very non-scientfic test) "F6" - renders models at twice the speed.  Using the parametric-organic-vase as an example:

latest stable: Total rendering time: 0 hours, 13 minutes, 5 seconds
latest dev: Total rendering time: 0 hours, 5 minutes, 39 seconds

Jamie Osborne

Oct 21, 2014, 9:16:01 AM10/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds great - was going to say there should be some obvious speed improvements to be made (look ahead for more basic shapes etc..).

Jamie

Gyrobot

Oct 23, 2014, 7:57:42 AM10/23/14
For Notepad++ users, here is the syntax file that you can import if you want to use this editor for OpenSCAD code.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15363/#instructions

And if you fancy defending yourself from the wrath of Damian then you can auto-indent with menu :  TextFX : TextFX Edit : Reindent C++ code

Jamie Osborne

Oct 23, 2014, 8:24:26 AM10/23/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Here's the bundle I've been using for textmate (and atom - through its own package manager)  - should work for sublime text too.

On 23 Oct 2014, at 12:57, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

For Notepad++ users, here is the syntax file that you can import if you want to use this editor for OpenSCAD code.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15363/#instructions

jmeosbn .

Nov 7, 2014, 3:13:44 PM11/7/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Are we going to cover STL files - when we need them, why we need them, and where to put them?

Jamie Osborne

Damian Axford

Nov 7, 2014, 3:49:50 PM11/7/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Short answer = yep

Damian Axford

Mar 25, 2015, 2:03:17 PM3/25/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I've put together a template OpenSCAD project for creating complex designs (e.g. LogoBot) on github:

Fork/clone for your own projects, and use the utilities in hardware/ci to make life easier.  Critically, the ./adda.py script.   Most things are clearly documented, the rest I'll explain in the next stage of the OpenSCAD course :)

Other projects using this framework include my Y6, Racing Quad, AFRo, etc.

Over time I'll be curating and updating the vitamin library, various utility scripts, etc - so this should always be a stable, robust starting point for new OpenSCAD designs.  Any issues please log them on github and you're welcome to submit pull requests if you have stuff to contribute back (vitamins especially!)

thanks