Andriod (& iOS) Game Controllers (and Quadcopter FX Simulator)

Robert Longbottom

Jan 20, 2015, 5:37:59 AM1/20/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Does anyone have a (bluetooth) game controller that works with Android (or iOS and might work on Android) that they'd like to bring in on Wednesday to try with my Nexus 10.  I found an app called Quadcopter FX Simulator that seems to be a fairly good simulation and allows you to do normal and FPV flight practice, but trying to control it using the on-screen sticks is just horrible (and unrealistically difficult).  I've never really looked into game controllers for Android (or any other platform tbh) so I don't know if you need to buy something Android specific, or if any bluetooth controller will work, if only certain ones work with certain games etc...

Cheers,
Rob.

jmeosbn .

Jan 20, 2015, 9:27:02 AM1/20/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I doubt if a "Made for iPhone" (MFI) controller that doesn't specifically list Android compatibility would work. :(

However, there is a jailbreak package that provides a compatibility layer between the MFI game controller interface and common controllers for other platforms (Wii, and I think PS4 are explicitly supported - in any game supporting MFI controllers) so... perhaps there is a similar package that can be used on Android with a console controller?

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Jan 20, 2015, 9:31:05 AM1/20/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that was easier to find than I first thought (and it's a PS3 controller in the pic):

(to be clear, I'm not suggesting an iPod touch as the display would be very usable, but perhaps there's a similar solution for Android - also, if you don't have a PS3 or similar, perhaps they can be found on eBay cheaply?)

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jan 20, 2015, 9:34:36 AM1/20/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I was looking at the ps3 controller as an option.  It looks like it works with Android, though I'm not sure if it requires root.

And no, I don't have any game controllers, so don't really want to buy one if its not going to work.