Cheap Printer Filament

Gyrobot

Mar 10, 2015, 5:44:18 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
It seems that I may bite off more spaghetti than I can chew.

1.75mm Filament, PLA and ABS in 1kg rolls, some larger 3kg rolls.

Gonna be around 100kg available at around £5 per kg roll.

Bankrupt stock, which I am collecting this weekend.

EDIT :

Solid Colour Range (except for clear ;-)

PLA :

Clear
White
Green
Blue
Red

ABS :

Black
White
Green
Forest Green
Blue
Red
Yellow
Pale Yellow

Jess Robinson

Robert Longbottom

Mar 10, 2015, 5:57:15 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah same problem here. 3mm filament only. :-(

Be worth getting some for the hackspace though.

Damian Axford

Mar 10, 2015, 7:34:32 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'll take some for a friend...

Andrew Beattie

Mar 10, 2015, 7:45:16 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That'll be me :-)

i'm a long way from Swindon, but Damian is largely responsible for me taking the plunge and building a Kossel last week.

I'll let Damian choose colours for me (this might be a mistake...)

Andrew

Jamie Osborne

Mar 10, 2015, 9:36:30 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's a lot of weight!

Surely the Hackspace should buy an entire rainbow of colours at that price?

Jamie

On 10 Mar 2015, at 09:44, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

It seems that I may bite off more spaghetti than I can chew.

1.75mm Filament, PLA and ABS in 1kg rolls, some larger 3kg rolls.

Gonna be around 100kg available at around £5 per kg roll.

Bankrupt stock, which I am collecting this weekend.

Message has been deleted

Jamie Osborne

Mar 10, 2015, 10:02:23 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
If we can agree on how much to spend*, I think we should get at least two rolls each of white, red, and blue (especially if it's the lighter blue :).

I'm not sure what clear is like?

Perhaps one or two of green if it's a primary/lighter green (I can see some rolls which look more like a lime green, and the dark greens and blues I've seen so far look way too dark to satisfy (say, children) wanting something printed in a certain colour.)

Would be nice to have some yellow to round out the stock of primary colours; I see that's only available in ABS though - but it would be interesting to try a bit of that on the Hackspace printer..

* At this price we should get as much as we can (reasonably) afford to save spending more in the future. ~ £40 seems like a decent investment. I was planning to pay £10 towards a reel, so put me down for that much.

Jamie

Jamie Osborne

Mar 10, 2015, 10:06:24 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Doh! I guess we should get some black too if ABS if worth getting. I'm sure some people will want black parts for misc. brackets and ciclops etc!

Steve, do you have a bit of ABS on hand that we could try in the Mendel on Wednesday?

Jamie

On 10 Mar 2015, at 13:42, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

Solid Colour Range (except for clear ;-)

PLA :

Clear
White
Green
Blue
Red

ABS :

Black
White
Green
Forest Green
Blue
Red
Yellow
Pale Yellow

Robert Longbottom

Mar 10, 2015, 11:50:28 AM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah, I was going to suggest £25-ish from the Hackspace for a roll of each of the PLA colours.  Plus £10 from you would give us 7 rolls with whatever we already have.  Which should last for a good while.

I've yet to find a real need for printing with ABS, it just seems more difficult to print with because of higher temps, more difficult to get to stick and smells more nasty, but doesn't really have any useful benefit (to me anyway)

Jamie Osborne

Mar 10, 2015, 12:15:17 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
The interest in ABS was really just for the colours not available in PLA. The main benefit being £££.

I'm not sure how useful clear is as I've not seen any - can it print clear Lego bricks? :)

I'll go in for a blue and red on top of an equal distribution just as these seem like the more lively/fun colours. Though a light green would be good to have. (And we don't have black or grey for any more "serious" parts.)

Jamie

Robert Longbottom

Mar 10, 2015, 12:25:39 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah agreed for the price if its easy enough to print with then its worth it. Shame there is no black PLA, see what people who print with ABS think.

I think James and Jess had some "clear" a while ago.  It wasn't clear like glass, more like a translucent white.  Quite good for neutral stuff.  A bit like a foxes glacier mint IIRC :-)

Jamie Osborne

Mar 10, 2015, 1:09:53 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Definitely a shame there's no black or grey - I prefer the more vibrant colours - but as Steve has said before - it's a good colour to have for misc. parts and stuff.

I'd like a more natural white; something more like raw nylon in appearance - that said, the stuff we have atm isn't too "bleached" looking.

So just waiting to see if the blue and greens are lighter/brighter hues than we have. If so, then I agree that we should get:

- one of each PLA available (5)
- plus an extra reel each of blue and red. (2)
- ABS in black and yellow to be agreed upon*. (?)

* for printing ABS Bumble Bees perhaps?

Jamie

Robert Longbottom

Mar 10, 2015, 1:24:58 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yeah sounds like a good plan to me.

Damian Axford

Mar 10, 2015, 2:55:34 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ditto and want bumble bees

Gyrobot

Mar 10, 2015, 5:01:42 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I will bring in some spools next Wednesday, after collection this weekend.

There is no obligation to purchase at this moment so you can check out the colour range and saturation levels next week and make a decision.

Robert Longbottom

Mar 10, 2015, 5:08:14 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Is it definitely just 1.75mm, no chance of any 3mm?

Gyrobot

Mar 10, 2015, 5:14:46 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Rob/Jess/James

I did ask but only 1.75mm :-(

Robert Longbottom

Mar 10, 2015, 5:17:43 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Oh well, never mind.  Maybe next time!

Gyrobot

Mar 10, 2015, 5:24:30 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

For £19.5 (+VAT) upgrade you can print with 1.75, and I can probably get a bit of discount too? Is the drive gear going to be different though?

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6/Spares/v6-Heat-Break-1.75mm

So you will save the upgrade price on the second spool of Gyrobot's cheap printer filament ;-)

Jamie Osborne

Mar 10, 2015, 5:47:43 PM3/10/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That definitely seems worth the price of parts and labour (time).

Looking forward to sampling your wares!

Jamie

On 10 Mar 2015, at 21:24, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

For £19.5 upgrade you can print with 1.75, and I can probably get a bit of discount too? Is the drive gear going to be different though?

Gyrobot

Mar 16, 2015, 4:46:40 AM3/16/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I picked up some filament at the weekend and it seems the stock levels have changed a bit from the email correspondence I previously had.

So here is an updated list which is subject to first come first served

PLA @ 5kg Rolls
Clear
White
Green
Blue
Red
ABS @ 1kg Rolls
Grey
Coral
Forest Green
Blue
Red

HIPS (dissolvable) @ 1 kg Rolls

Everyone is welcome to change/cancel their pre-order.

Gyrobot

Mar 16, 2015, 6:09:17 AM3/16/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
The White, Green and Blue PLA has gone. HIPS has gone too.

1x5g Red and 2x5kg Clear PLA left.

The Hackspace is safe btw, I will break into my own personal stash to bundle up the original PLA order into ziplock bags. Originally the Hackspace asked for Black and Yellow ABS, this will need to be reconsidered.

Krys

Aug 11, 2015, 8:03:45 AM8/11/15
to swindon-hackspace
Its been a while. Have you got any left? PLA is what I am after.
Just finished calibrating my first repstrap last nigh and will need some more filament than just the sample I bought.
Thanks!

Gyrobot

Aug 13, 2015, 2:17:04 AM8/13/15
to swindon-hackspace

Not personally, although I have found out that the same guy is selling some more of the same only this time, even cheaper :

Jamie Osborne

Aug 13, 2015, 8:41:26 AM8/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ooo... Hackspace could do with having more colours - but I only see black and dark blue there that we don't already have..

Jamie