EggBot for Easter

1 view

Damian Axford

Mar 28, 2015, 11:52:17 AM3/28/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Am building an Eggbot with the kids ready for Easter - will be hooking it up to the cheap Uno/Pololu boards that Steve ordered and bunging in some spare steppers/servos

This is the one we're building:

Half the parts printed, other half printing now :)

Will bring it along Wed night ready for wiring...  although might use a RAMPS board to test it this weekend

Robert Longbottom

Mar 28, 2015, 2:39:09 PM3/28/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

How eggciting.

Damian Axford

Mar 28, 2015, 3:46:23 PM3/28/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
eggsactly.... it's an eggceptional eggcuse for an eggcellent eggperiment.  With any luck, we'll soon have an eggclectic eggshibition of eggsotic eggsamples

:)

PS - who knew people have web-pages listing l"egg-words"

Robert Longbottom

Mar 28, 2015, 4:06:49 PM3/28/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
well I'm clucking forward to seeing it working....

Damian Axford

Mar 30, 2015, 3:28:57 PM3/30/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
so.... I all the parts printed, assembled all the relevant screws, prepped the electronics and generally put a nice simple kit together for the kids.  This evening, they helped put the thing together and we stuck an egg in to check the mechanicals were all working properly (no electronics)....  and no, they weren't really.  This design is crap...  there's loads of play in the spring loaded arm, it's very hard to keep the frame in alignment and the pen lift spring is the wrong shape (doesn't allow the servo to correctly align with the arm).  I'm genuinely surprised, having seen lots of these online I figured it was a fairly tried/tested design.  Bloody annoying.

In the meantime, my 3d printer has developed a recurring extruder jam (cleared it 4 times in the last two days), which means I don't seem to be able to print anything reliably - grr.

time for some brain-numbing TV whilst I re-motivate myself to fix the printer and design a new egg-bot :)

Damian Axford

Apr 3, 2015, 2:41:28 PM4/3/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Have tweaked the frame a bit and added an extra bit to take the slop out the tail stock and it seems ok. Got it wired up to a ramps board this evening and it works :)

Not perfect, but the kids are happy - now need more egg shells and some felt tip pens!

Robert Longbottom

Apr 4, 2015, 5:19:23 AM4/4/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Nice. I will be eggspecting a demo on Wednesday. :-/

Now you can buy up out of date eggs from the supermarket change the sell
by date and make your millions!!!

Malcolm Pett

Apr 5, 2015, 3:46:11 AM4/5/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I built one of these sometime back but just couldn't get the software side working
which I am beginning to think is my "weakest link"!

Damian Axford

Apr 5, 2015, 4:34:29 AM4/5/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
:)
The software was a little fiddly, but there were plenty of good guides online - at least on a mac it seemed easy enough. Getting good settings calibrated took about 15 min of fiddling and it doesn't seem to save them, a little annoying.

We've run out of eggshells and pens to play with at the moment... Need some sharpies! And ping pong balls