Things I Want To Do This Week

Gyrobot

Oct 1, 2013, 3:00:29 AM10/1/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I thought I would create this topic and maybe an admin could sticky it, if felt worthwhile?

The idea is for members to post a rough itinerary of what they wish to do / achieve at the Hackspace in the next session.
Hopefully if there are any group watchers out there that finds something of interest then they might feel worthwhile popping along to the next session. I too was a group watcher until Jess decided to do an Openscad demo/talk one week.

Please, feel free to post even if it is just to say that you are unable to attend.

This is currently experimental in the hope that we wish to encourage a little more communication of what is happening at the Hackspace meetings.

Kind Regards,
Steve.

Gyrobot

Oct 1, 2013, 3:15:58 AM10/1/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I will be bringing in a 3D printed GoPro skeleton case (in Black) and mount for for Rob's Quadcopter.
I'll have some prints of an ArduPilot 2.5 case, GPS module case and USB telemetry case. I might download the Ardupilot Mission Planner software and start getting to grips with that.

I'll have designed a new type of stabilisation gimble for the GoPro Hero 3 camera, which is (you've guess it) 3D printable. I will bring in an early prototype and I hope to advance this design a little further.

If I get time I may have a quick look at Heathkit Hero's wiring and plan of attack for repairing it/him/her (?)

Available for general chit cat, tea making and helping hand with any re-organising of the Hackspace work areas.

Kind Regards
Steve

Gyrobot

Oct 1, 2013, 3:21:00 AM10/1/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Oh, I forgot (I wish Google groups would allow post editing). I have two blog / project posts that I have written for the website, I will upload these to Github and finalise with Jamie if he is about.

Jamie Osborne

Oct 1, 2013, 6:48:16 AM10/1/13
to Hackspace Group
Set topic as sticky. :)

I don't plan to do major rearranging of the Hackspace during the regular session as it'll be fairly disruptive. However, if anyone wants to start sorting/organising the various parts etc. that'd really help.

I'll be in Wednesday for all your github and Swindon Hackspace website needs.  In the meantime, don't forget that a good way to get feedback prior to going live, is to open an issue on the website repo and paste in your article there. :)

I've also had some ideas for consolidating our web resources, so will be asking for feedback on that.

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

On 1 Oct 2013, at 08:21, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

Oh, I forgot (I wish Google groups would allow post editing). I have two blog / project posts that I have written for the website, I will upload these to Github and finalise with Jamie if he is about.

Vincent Hebert

Oct 1, 2013, 9:23:34 AM10/1/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Oct 1, 2013, 9:39:02 AM10/1/13
to Hackspace Group
Hi Vincent,

I've previously built a car computer with 7" touch display. PC was mini-ITX based as this was pre-iPad times, around 2004. Tablets are perfect for this use and much cheaper, smaller, better than what I used back then!!

Depending on the car and type of communications bus it uses, you can integrate the system pretty well.

Speak more when you're in next!

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

Martyn W

Oct 1, 2013, 3:05:24 PM10/1/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Steve.

I've a draft article on the curvey LEDs project for the website together with the associated Arduino sketch that I need to add into GitHub or wherever.  Not worked out how yet, perhaps its a permissions thing?

I've finally got a Windows API working with the Kinect, usb so I hope to get some idea of how best to process the distance data stream to locate passing people.  Eventually it would be best to get it running on a Pi and as I have no experience of the Pi or indeed Linux, I'd appreciate any help on how best to get started on that.  Still not thought about how best to format/transport the location info to any interested device(s) (eg. Arduino driving the LEDs?)

Available for helping hand for tidying or whatever.

Cheers,
Martyn.

Gyrobot

Oct 2, 2013, 5:21:41 AM10/2/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Just a further update.

I will be collecting some live video transmission kit up for the Quadcopter FPV before the meeting this evening so I shall be having a look at that too and see if I can figure out how to use it.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 2, 2013, 6:07:15 AM10/2/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I have a circuit board that I've been meaning to desolder for ages because it doesn't work and I want to re use some of the parts to make one that does work!  And I've had my current monitoring chips with me for the past few weeks with the intention do doing something with those but I've never found time yet, so maybe this week.

Will be interested to see the FPV kit and how it works with the gopro.

Rob.

Gyrobot

Oct 6, 2013, 12:38:51 PM10/6/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
For Wednesday October 9th 2013 Meetup :

I shall be bringing in some redesigned 3D printed plates for a new "Spider style" quadcopter I am designing. I hope to make a start assembling this Quad.
The CAD files have been uploaded to Thingiverse : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:160607

I shall hopefully bring in the printout of Rob's radiator fan design.

See you all on Wednesday.
Steve.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 7, 2013, 4:48:23 PM10/7/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
And I'll bring in the fan and it's circuit board to see how they fit in the case if it's ready.  If my battery connectors have arrived, I might bring in my mini heli and it's batteries and do some connector replacement after one fell off at the weekend!  I'll also bring in my current monitoring bits since I never go chance to play with them last week.

We also have a big curvey LED segment to take to apart, so that will be the first job.

See you on Wed,
Rob.

Martyn W

Oct 8, 2013, 11:33:59 AM10/8/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yep, lets get that curvey guy sorted first and then everything will look scarily tidy I expect.

I'll then try investigating why the Kinect api works ok for motor and LED but the depth callback never gets called.  The callback clearly works with the built demo on the same machine so its certainly possible to do.  Grrr.

CU Weds,
Martyn

Martyn W

Oct 8, 2013, 3:34:57 PM10/8/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Correction; now I have the depth images coming in I need to work out what to do with them, display for debug and filter images for a given depth range.

Damian Axford

Oct 8, 2013, 3:43:29 PM10/8/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be down on the 9th, partially to collect the vinyl cutter (storage awaits), but I also thought some of you may be interested in a quick talk on closed loop control (PID style)?  Wasn't planning anything too heavy - just a basic intro to basic PID design, typical ways to program them and suggestions on tuning.  One of those fundamental concepts that are fairly intuitive, but can seem daunting until you've had a go.

Let me know if anyone's interested, otherwise I'm happy to help out with tidying and/or will bring down my arduino/touch-screen/gps/sd-card project to work on...

Robert Longbottom

Oct 8, 2013, 4:05:34 PM10/8/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in PID loop control. I've read a bit about it in the past, but never tried to code one. I know they are used by Arducopter and in fact I've "tuned" one of my PIDs but I didn't actually know what I was tuning, so it was more change it and try to spot the difference!

I had the Adafruit colour touch screen working nicely with my Arduino a while back. I was thinking of converting it into a quadcopter telemetry receiver at some point, but t the minute it's just a random idea.
Message has been deleted

Martyn W

Oct 9, 2013, 4:19:13 AM10/9/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm certainly interested, thanks.

Gyrobot

Oct 14, 2013, 6:54:32 AM10/14/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
For Wednesday 16/10/2013:

Going to be raiding the wire box to enable me to make some quad power distribution cables..

Bring in the rest of the radiator fan prints for Rob.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 15, 2013, 5:15:16 PM10/15/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be bringing in the Arduino and electromagnet stuff I've done so far and hopefully playing with the Hall Effect sensor when Damian brings it in.

I'll also bring in the other radiator fan parts and see how that all fits together - I think I'll need to do a bit of soldering on that so I may do that as well.

Rob.

Martyn W

Oct 16, 2013, 4:11:57 AM10/16/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Got the kinect raw depth images colourized so this week I hope to work out how to select a particular depth range & identify blobs as sensed people & how to distinguish from background.

Looks like the Pi probably doesn't work with the kinect (https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/19)  so Damian suggested a BeagleBone; anyone any experience of using that?

Cheers,
Martyn
Message has been deleted

Gyrobot

Oct 22, 2013, 4:02:14 PM10/22/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
For Wednesday 23/10/2013

I have now finished the build of my Spyda 500 design, just waiting for a dry weekend to test. I will be moving on to a GoPro gimbal design using rc servos, so I hope to make a start on that.

See you tomorrow.
Steve.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 23, 2013, 5:11:15 AM10/23/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't made much progress on the magnetic levitation, but Ill bring that in. Think I need to do some more measuring of various field strengths.

Rob.

Martyn W

Oct 23, 2013, 5:16:28 AM10/23/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I have rudimentary person tracking with the kinect, tho its a bit jittery.  I hope to try it using the museum window to see if its acceptable there or to improve the algorithm.  Will look at how best to broadcast the location using an arduino (maybe digispark) with a wireless board I have, also a test receiver with servo to point at the person to confirm it all works.

CU all tonight,

Martyn

Gyrobot

Oct 23, 2013, 12:44:49 PM10/23/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Something has come up so unfortunately I won't be able to make tonight, see you all next week.

Steve.

Jamie Osborne

Oct 23, 2013, 2:35:07 PM10/23/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That's a shame — I've started to implement the use of multiple panoramic images for the website.  Will be looking to collect a few together (all 3:1 ratio if you want to make some).

Also, wanted to speak to you about the feasibility and cost of a group project to build a 3d printer, but we can do that next week.

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

Damian Axford

Oct 23, 2013, 4:44:35 PM10/23/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
sorry I couldn't make it tonight - off travelling on business.

However, I'd be up for a group investment, but my choice would be either a laser cutter or cnc mill (for plywood and/or soft metals, eg. alu) - would def put money/time into either of those!

Cheers

Jamie Osborne

Oct 23, 2013, 7:00:04 PM10/23/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I don't know how much a second hand CNC mill would cost, but there was a possible donation of a small mill (not cnc) - so a conversion to cnc might be affordable (and make a nice project?). We've not heard back yet though unfortunately. :(

There was a decent amount interest tonight in having a 3D printer.  It's also a good group project and may be useful for anybody wanting to build their own eventually.

I'm hoping that if we can count on some help bootstrapping it with 3D parts made by those who already have printers (Hackspace pays for material), that might make it affordable enough to be doable? :)

Hopefully, you and Steve will be in next week to give us some ideas on how feasible and costly this would be...

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

Martyn W

Oct 28, 2013, 11:14:04 AM10/28/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Have you see the 3D open-source printer kit on kickstarter at  $199? - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/qu-bd-one-up-open-source-production-ready-3d-print?ref=category.

Martyn W

Oct 29, 2013, 1:00:38 PM10/29/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
To broadcast Kinect 'detect person' data, on Wednesday I plan to write a sketch for the DigiSpark (http://digistump.com/products/1) to send data from the wireless board and a sketch for an arduino to recover the data from another wireless board.  Will have to kludge 3.3V power to the wireless to begin with but once I have it working ok I can put everything on a DigiSpark proto shield.  Then it'll just need sommat to send serial data to the DigiSpark though its USB connector.

CU Wednesday.

Cheers,
Martyn.

Robert Longbottom

Oct 29, 2013, 4:29:33 PM10/29/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Do you want a 3.3V voltage regulator? I think I have a few lying around.

Does anyone have a 3.3V FTDI cable they could bring in tomorrow night
that I could use? I've bought an Ardulog and I want to upload some
custom code to so I can read from a pressure sensor over i2c and log
that. The code is written, but I can't upload it due to not having an
FTDI cable. I've just been messing around with some bits I thought
would work, but they don't seem to, so I figure I should get the
"proper" hardware :-)

I also need to scavenge around in the hackspace wire collection to see
if I can find some fine enough wire to fix my mini heli.

I'll also try to make some progress with the magnetic levitation because
I didn't do anything with it at the weekend.

I'll also bring in the triple axis magnetomer I bought for the quadcopter.

Should be there tomorrow night assuming my cold continues to clear up at
it's current rate!
Rob.

Jamie Osborne

Oct 29, 2013, 5:53:23 PM10/29/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

I'll make sure to bring mine with me; if anybody has an AC current clamp meter, I'd like to use it one night (doesn't have to be this week).

--
Jamie Osborne

Gyrobot

Oct 30, 2013, 6:12:46 AM10/30/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I'll be there tonight, I will bring in my finished Quad, and progress some designs if I'm at a loose end, and general chit chat.

Martyn W

Oct 30, 2013, 6:28:53 AM10/30/13

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:29:33 PM UTC, Robert Longbottom wrote:
Do you want a 3.3V voltage regulator? I think I have a few lying around.

Thanks Rob, but I've already got one that I plan to use once I've worked out how best to lay things out on the tiny DigiSpark proto board.  Till then I think I'll just borrow power from the 3.3V of an arduino just to get started - I'm not feeling very patient:)

Martyn.

Martyn W

Oct 30, 2013, 2:19:51 PM10/30/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to say, I won't be able to make it tonight after all.  I seem to have caught a tiresome bug.

Cheers,
Martyn.

sam partridge

Nov 5, 2013, 3:03:01 PM11/5/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm planning to come along to the Hackerspace tomorrow and bring my leadscrew based 3D printer along for anyone who is interested. Unfortunately there's not much work I can do on the 3D printer currently (waiting for parts to arrive), so if there's any ongoing/new projects that I can help out with tomorrow then that would be great.

Kind regards,
Sam Partridge

Gyrobot

Nov 6, 2013, 4:14:46 AM11/6/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I have my video wireless transmission kit for the Spyda Quad so I'll bring that in and do some tests.

Robert Longbottom

Nov 6, 2013, 4:54:16 AM11/6/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I want to have a look at your video transmission kit to see what it's
like and decide if I want to go down that route for my quad too. I'm
going to try and make a bit of progress on the magnetic levitation
today, so I'll bring that along tonight. I also now have an FTDI
programmer, so I can program my ardulog and I've managed to get it
logging pressure and temperature data along with GPS data, but they two
sets of data get muddled up in the log (code / timing issues) so I might
have a go at fixing that.

Rob.

On 06/11/13 09:14, Gyrobot wrote:

> I have my video wireless transmission kit for the Spyda Quad so I'll
> bring that in and do some tests.

Damian Axford

Nov 6, 2013, 5:26:28 AM11/6/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
will be bringing:
  • 3d printer bits (Prusa Mendel, Mark IV hotend, Prusa pcb heatbed) for assembly, etc
  • anything else that seems useful to relocate to the hackspace
Might not be able to stay for too long, but looking forward to a quick discussion on CLGs, building membership, etc

Martyn W

Nov 6, 2013, 12:18:57 PM11/6/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I won't be in tonight - still feel at death's door.

Cheers,
Martyn.

Gyrobot

Nov 11, 2013, 4:43:58 PM11/11/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I will be in to progress my quadcopter video transmission equipment, which works btw, except the dodgy GoPro lead which doesn't want to send any video. Need to fix this, or buy another.

Also to look at in anger the 3D printer rebuild.

Jamie Osborne

Nov 12, 2013, 5:03:00 PM11/12/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping Rob can show me how to work his current loop meter. :)

After 10 mins swapping batteries, looking for and trying various buttons (can't find a pair button or equivalent on the display) I've given up. :(

I've just installed a load of computers so I did use the other in-line meter which can measure all but the original two; I got ~4.5A, which isn't bad at all.

Just waiting to see how long it'll take to clear the space of monitors etc. before Hackspace each week..

image.jpeg

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

On 11 Nov 2013, at 21:43, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

I will be in to progress my quadcopter video transmission equipment, which works btw, except the dodgy GoPro lead which doesn't want to send any video. Need to fix this, or buy another.

Also to look at in anger the 3D printer rebuild.

Jamie Osborne

Nov 13, 2013, 11:59:56 AM11/13/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Also, if anybody has a bootable cd with hdd recovery tools handy (or a CD-R/W) that I could use, one of the PCs here is failing to boot... 💩

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

Vincent Hebert

Nov 13, 2013, 12:12:49 PM11/13/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Unetbootin is your friend on this Jamie, along with parted magic. CD's are a thing from the past :)

Jamie Osborne

Nov 13, 2013, 12:20:02 PM11/13/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vince,

I'm familiar with all the various compilations of tools and used to have my own selection on a dedicated USB key partition - when I still needed it (ie. used windows).

However, I'm already at the museum now, don't have a blank CD, and have failed to get some of these older machines to boot from USB before (but perhaps I'll try later if I can clear some space from my USB stick).

Therefore, if anybody has anything handy (see previous email) they can lay their hands on before leaving - I'd appreciate trying it tonight (CD or USB) - else it'll have to wait.

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

Vincent Hebert

Nov 13, 2013, 12:59:06 PM11/13/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Didn't mean to sound condescending in my previous message Jamie.

Most post-2003 machines should boot with no issues over USB, If it's dell desktop computers (which I think it is from what I saw last week), if I remember correctly USB booting is achieved by plugging in the thumbdrive, then accessing the bios, and in the boot order section of the bios, put it in first place.

I won't be able to make it tonight, best of luck with the pc's Jamie.

Jamie Osborne

Nov 13, 2013, 1:15:28 PM11/13/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
No worries, I was just hoping someone would have something all ready set up.

Yep, they all have the USB listed after F12, however I've had issues with Linux based bootable USB keys in the past here (though  thinking that might have been with the laptops now....).

However, this one works so all sorted now.  Annoyingly, after I wiped my key, it seemed not to be necessary to format at all when using the syslinux based install - which is definitely an improvement!

Regards,

Jamie Osborne

Gyrobot

Nov 19, 2013, 7:54:51 AM11/19/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I have some spanners to donate, essential for printer maintenance.

I will be working on the 3D printer re-build. I did intend to print out some struts to increase rigidity but that will now have to wait until next week.

I have designed some more 3d printed stuff for the Quad so I might bring that in. + a GoPro AV lead that needs fixing.

Steve.

Martyn W

Nov 20, 2013, 6:40:32 AM11/20/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Won't be able to make it tonight - still under the weather, arghhh.

Cheers,
Martyn

Damian Axford

Nov 20, 2013, 6:43:50 AM11/20/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Might pop down this evening for some social coding...  will see how the day goes...

Robert Longbottom

Nov 20, 2013, 9:02:25 AM11/20/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That's no good, hope you are feeling better soon.

I've finished my ardulog based altimeter and GPS logger, so Ill bring that in and maybe run it on the journey in for a bit of a test.

Other than that I might have a go making some more measurements with  the Hall effect sensor.  Or help out with the 3d printer if there is anything I can do there, or whatever else is happening.

Rob

Gyrobot

Dec 4, 2013, 8:06:01 AM12/4/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I shall help in progressing the Prusa Mendel, also I have Robs printed Lego axles.

We can maybe make a start on connecting the Raspberry Pi to the printer to use it as it's server.

Robert Longbottom

Dec 4, 2013, 9:07:50 AM12/4/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ill bring in my Pi and help out with that as well. Hopefully we can work out what is wrong with the axis end stop and get that working.

On 4 Dec 2013, at 01:06 PM, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

I shall help in progressing the Prusa Mendel, also I have Robs printed Lego axles.

We can maybe make a start on connecting the Raspberry Pi to the printer to use it as it's server.

Damian Axford

Dec 11, 2013, 8:28:57 AM12/11/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
will swing by tonight to drop off new electromagnet for Rob and have a nosey at the PI print server...  then want to get back to laser build :)

Gyrobot

Dec 17, 2013, 5:47:41 PM12/17/13

I intend to start wiring up the printer's extruder heater and maybe make a start on the heated bed. Also make the X end stop a bit neater.

I will bring in the cable ties for the computer cables.

Robert Longbottom

Dec 18, 2013, 5:24:21 AM12/18/13
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I thought we were going to look into getting a finer extruder?  I did have a brief look on eBay, but wasn't really sure what I was looking for.

I've just got my antenna tubes, so Ill bring those in and the random bag of connectors and maybe make a half wave antenna for telemetry.

Also maybe start a serious design for a gopro gimbal because I've decided to give it a go with the mini servos I have and see if they are strong enough.

Or do anything that needs doing on the 3D printer

Rob.

On 17 Dec 2013, at 10:47 PM, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

I intend to start wiring up the printer's extruder heater and maybe make a start on the heated bed.

I will bring in the cable ties for the computer cables.

Tony Walmsley

Jan 5, 2014, 6:09:19 AM1/5/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
1. Turn up.
2. Work on my rover-bot, either programming it or making it work, depends on progress this weekend.
3. Drink tea.

Gyrobot

Jan 5, 2014, 10:42:15 AM1/5/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I will bring in the o-rings.
Finish off the bed levelling screws in the Prusa.
Maybe look at my Minim OSD.

Robert Longbottom

Jan 7, 2014, 4:34:38 AM1/7/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Bring in my tracked tank chassis. I have an Arduino doing some basic driving, but I seem to have some power issues because the Arduino resets itsself if I go from full power forwards to full power reverse without a stop-and-wait inbetween, which is a bit annoying.

Do some wiring on the 3D printer.

Jess Robinson

Jan 7, 2014, 5:00:52 AM1/7/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Thought I would try this planning thing..

At the weekend I managed to get my new Smartduino set having a conversation with my Android phone - the Smartduino has a USB host / ASK accessory board, so it can talk to Android as a usb host. This seems to currently work somewhat intermittently, so I'll try and figure out what makes it so spotty. I'd like to start with making an Android app that allows you to exactly set the colour of the RGB led.

Also the Smartduino inventor actually put up some docs and apparently code examples, so I'll look at those.

Jess

Martyn W

Jan 7, 2014, 5:34:18 AM1/7/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jess,

how do you plan to make the android app?  I'm currently playing with android using Qt Creator to build apps and am curious about all things Android at the moment.

Martyn

Jess Robinson

Jan 7, 2014, 5:47:27 AM1/7/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

The conventional way, with Java. I have AIDE installed which nicely builds a basic app (or even has some examples of various types of app you might want). It also builds on the device and enabled you to deploy the built app directly, or even build a release one. It has a layout designer as well, so its nicely self-contained. You can also find sample apps for ADK, on the android dev site itself, and also from the guys planing with ADK.

So far I've written one (The museum's Quiz on the android tablet on the wall is mine), and have been tinkering with a Bluetooth-device-tracking app. I keep meaning to try the cross-phone toolkits, but.. haven't gotten around to it (also we don't have any iDevices)

Jess

Martyn W

Jan 7, 2014, 6:18:17 AM1/7/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good, I must take a look at that. Layout designer sound interesting.

I used Qt to port a C++ Windows app to Android and it works well.  My mate (who has the required Mac) then ported it to iPhone emulator (too tight to pay £60 for the developers licence to put it on his phone) where it worked too.  So unless you come by a Mac as well as an iDevice and fancy paying £60 you may not want to bother.

Tony Walmsley

Jan 15, 2014, 12:45:39 PM1/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Caught a heavy cold at the weekend so I'll spare you all the lurgi and stay home tonight. I'll mostly be programming my little RedRover bot and designing a small PCB to test out my etching kit later in the week. Have a good one.

Nick Woodruffe

Jan 15, 2014, 8:26:18 PM1/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Get well soon.  I left some gloss laser paper under the oscilloscope for you at hack space

Tony Walmsley

Jan 16, 2014, 2:23:48 PM1/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That's great, thanks Nick - I'll collect it next Wednesday.

Gyrobot

Jan 21, 2014, 2:51:14 AM1/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Could be a big week for the printer.

First print and calibration of axes stepper motors (re-flash new Z step value first)
Extend Y axis homing strip.
Set up travel limits.

Longer bolts for extruder idler wheel holder.
Raspberry Pi print server.

See you tomorrow.

Robert Longbottom

Jan 21, 2014, 5:24:14 AM1/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to seeing it actually print something.  I'll help out with the calibration to get some idea of what it involves and maybe try to get the Pi print server up and running.  Also bring along my robotank and maybe mess around with that a bit more.

Rob.

Tony Walmsley

Jan 21, 2014, 12:08:59 PM1/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be bringing my red rover bot and working out how to add more functionality. I'll also bring a pickaxe dev board with an EEPROM I rescued from one of those old Cybot circuit boards and finding a use for it.

James Mastros

Jan 21, 2014, 7:50:13 PM1/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Jess & I won't be there this week, will be sad to miss the printer calibration, but hopefully live music at the pub near us will be good!

   -=- James

Gyrobot

Jan 28, 2014, 5:06:58 AM1/28/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Fix the printer's heated bed issue if possible.
Calibrate the extruder stepper motor for 1.75mm filament.
Reposition Y home limit tab.
Set soft travel limits in firmware and Repetier.
Connect Raspberry Pi print server.

Print something? just maybe, to test last weeks calibration values.

Robert Longbottom

Jan 28, 2014, 1:07:13 PM1/28/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'll bring down my box of old computer hardware for anyone who wants anything and maybe dismantle some of the drives for their motors with the intention of leaving any bits worth playing with at hackspace for anyone who wants to play now or in the future.

Try and remember to give Jamie the hackspace videos that I've copied onto my usb stick (Jamie, try and remember to remind me because I'll probably forget!)

Fix the RAMPS board on the 3d Printer if we have the part, otherwise swap the broken part with one of the working ones that we aren't using.

Tony Walmsley

Jan 28, 2014, 3:54:07 PM1/28/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
  • Bring the MOSFETs for the 3D printer
  • Bring the PCB milled by the guy on Ebay (its looking good so I'll post photos when I get round to it)
  • Mess around with a few AVR dev boards - maybe setting up the Gertboard to drive my red rover bot.

Tony Walmsley

Feb 4, 2014, 3:39:08 PM2/4/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
More messing around with AVR boards - possibly adding some microswitches to sense collisions.
Making a cuppa before Jess gets to the milk ;O)

Tony Walmsley

Feb 5, 2014, 4:58:08 AM2/5/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Car trouble this morning means I have to work late tonight to catch up so I won't be at the Hackspace this week. Should be there next week.

Robert Longbottom

Feb 5, 2014, 8:06:14 AM2/5/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I have an attiny that needs de-bricking since I messed up the fuses, so I might have a go at that.

Try and get the 3d printer to print me a new gopro mount :-)

Whatever else is going on.

On 5 Feb 2014, at 09:58 AM, Tony Walmsley <tonywa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Car trouble this morning means I have to work late tonight to catch up so I won't be at the Hackspace this week. Should be there next week.

Jess Robinson

Feb 5, 2014, 11:49:42 AM2/5/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

James is in bed with something icky (or manflu?), so we won't be in this evening either.

Jess

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 09:58:08 -0000, Tony Walmsley <tonywa...@gmail.com> wrote:

Car trouble this morning means I have to work late tonight to catch up so I won't be at the Hackspace this week. Should be there next week.

Robert Longbottom

Feb 17, 2014, 4:26:58 PM2/17/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I have a couple of items I'd like to have a go at printing on the 3d Printer, a small electronics enclosure with lid and a couple of replacement parts for my auto-gyro-copter in anticipation of my next attempt at flying it and crashing! Or anything else that anyone wants printed :-)

I'll also bring in Flappy-duino to show.

See you on Wed,
Rob.

Tony Walmsley

Feb 19, 2014, 5:16:10 AM2/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
1. Spend some more time on my much neglected red-rover.
2. Introduce my daughters to the hack-space and hopefully get them involved in what's going on, so if you need help just for one evening they may be keen to join in.
3. Possibly download the Octoprint software and look into adding Replicator2X support (someone is already doing this but I would like to help). My Pi is set up with a webcam and Octoprint in anticipation.

We'll probably have to leave by about 9 though - we're tired after going to CERN in Geneva yesterday which was a 20-hour day, but a very good 20-hour day.

Jess Robinson

Feb 19, 2014, 6:23:56 AM2/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Cool!

How old are they? Have you looked at the Kano tools for Pi

Jess

Tony Walmsley

Feb 19, 2014, 6:39:15 AM2/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
They're both 16 - I looked at Kano and it seems to be aimed at a younger audience.

Gyrobot

Feb 24, 2014, 7:20:56 AM2/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I have printed off some bar clamps for the Prusa. The idea is to temporarily clamp the current Z axis smooth rods in position with another bracing bar.

Then its on to removing and repositioning the existing Z bracing bar (lower).

The reason is to allow the addition of a Y axis drive belt tensioner, it would currently hit the aforementioned Z bracing bar if it wasn't moved.

I also have a minimOSD to connect up to my Spyda quad live video feed.

Rob, I have found a black GoPro case in my spares, would you prefer it over the green one?

Make coffee and eat biscuits.

Gyrobot

Mar 4, 2014, 5:22:19 PM3/4/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Ditto to what I was going to do last week (below) I would like to do this week.

Gyrobot

Apr 2, 2014, 12:36:32 PM4/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody have any thermal paste. I would like to fit the new extruder tonight.

Damian Axford

Apr 2, 2014, 2:27:22 PM4/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
yes, but can't make it tonight :(

will be working on thames barge ready for viking ceremony this weekend, and a bit more on the pump control circuit I was playing with last week

Simon Webb

Apr 3, 2014, 6:51:28 AM4/3/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I've got some, I'm in the museum this afternoon (teaching) so I'll leave it on the workbench.

Simon

Gyrobot

Apr 9, 2014, 5:35:25 AM4/9/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I have printed off a fan duct and mount for the printer to cool the hot end heatsink. So we can try that.

I have a 0.3mm nozzle for the printer so I will bring that in too.

I will also bring in my fully assembled (almost) dual extruder mounted on a carriage if anyone wants a look. I am waiting on Ramps 1.4 board to be delivered but I have my Arduino Mega so I may have a go at flashing the dual extrusion firmware onto it.

Make coffee.

On Tuesday, 1 October 2013 08:00:29 UTC+1, Gyrobot wrote:

I thought I would create this topic and maybe an admin could sticky it, if felt worthwhile?

The idea is for members to post a rough itinerary of what they wish to do / achieve at the Hackspace in the next session.
Hopefully if there are any group watchers out there that finds something of interest then they might feel worthwhile popping along to the next session. I too was a group watcher until Jess decided to do an Openscad demo/talk one week.

Please, feel free to post even if it is just to say that you are unable to attend.

This is currently experimental in the hope that we wish to encourage a little more communication of what is happening at the Hackspace meetings.

Kind Regards,
Steve.

sam partridge

Apr 9, 2014, 1:10:18 PM4/9/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking about coming along tonight, but was wondering if you had a spare PC available for me to connect my printer to? I'll bring my LCD controller just in case, but it's not easy to use.

Thanks,
Sam

Gyrobot

Apr 15, 2014, 10:17:21 AM4/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I will not be attending Hackspace this week, due to my wife deciding to have her birthday on a Wednesday. How dare she....

See you next week.

Robert Longbottom

Apr 15, 2014, 11:53:17 AM4/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Gyrobot

What could be a better present than an evening out at Hackspace? :-)

On 15 April 2014 15:17:24 Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

I will not be attending Hackspace this week, due to my wife deciding to have her birthday on a Wednesday. How dare she....

See you next week.

jmeosbn .

Apr 15, 2014, 11:57:22 AM4/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ha! That's just inconsiderate!!  See you next week then fella!

"What could be a better present than an evening out at Hackspace? :-)"

3D printed birthday cake? (at the hackspace of course)

Jamie Osborne

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

I will not be attending Hackspace this week, due to my wife deciding to have her birthday on a Wednesday. How dare she....

See you next week.

Gyrobot

Apr 16, 2014, 8:46:41 AM4/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Actually I have just sold my white Flexy-Hand, so I will have to quickly pop by around opening time to collect it from the Hackspace cupboard.

Cheers,
S.

Gyrobot

Apr 23, 2014, 8:05:44 AM4/23/14
Sorting out the Prusa Hotend.

I'll bring in my dual and quad extruders, and the Richrap Quick release X carriage, that I have been busy beavering away at.

Coming soon to Thingiverse, the Gyrobot "Extruder Week" where I will be releasing no less than 5 direct drive Extruders.

I'll also bring in the Ramps 1.4 board and flash it to control one of the dual headed extruders.

We had an attempted UPS delivery for our Farnell freebies today, but the wife didn't hear the doorbell (she said she was hoovering - yeah right!!). That will have to wait till next week.

See you later.

Gyrobot

Apr 29, 2014, 3:22:14 PM4/29/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I will bring in the Farnell freebies + the adjustable Z endstop for the Prusa (see other thread).

I have flashed the Marlin firmware onto my Ramps 1.4 board so I may try to drive some motors with it.

Robert Longbottom

Apr 29, 2014, 5:43:10 PM4/29/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Print some stuff.

Have a play with the PiFace if I get chance.

Drink coffee.

jmeosbn .

Apr 30, 2014, 11:10:59 AM4/30/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
(If I get a chance:) Program some gpio stuff for the Pi, maybe a bit of soldering, and drink some hot chocolate! ;p

Jamie Osborne

Vincent Hebert

Apr 30, 2014, 12:24:20 PM4/30/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Not coming this week and it's been ages since my last visit now. I've been pretty busy.

I've actually landed a job abroad (Sweden) and will be leaving Swindon at the end of may.

I've got loads of stuff I'd like to give to the hackspace, thermal shrink tubing, cables, power supplies, soldering iron, wick, third hand with magnifying glass, cheap dremel ect... Are you guys interested or should I dump the lot on gumtree?

Cheers,

Vincent.

jmeosbn .

Apr 30, 2014, 12:29:13 PM4/30/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vincent,

Good luck with the new job, would like to try Sweden myself some time...

We'll definitely appreciate the items listed.  If you can get down for ten minutes tonight (or next Wed) then please do so, otherwise I can arrange to be in at another time?

Jamie Osborne

Vincent Hebert

Apr 30, 2014, 12:31:12 PM4/30/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I've got time now, as I've just had my last day at work here, I'll pop down next wednesday for a nice chat with you all.

jmeosbn .

Apr 30, 2014, 12:46:14 PM4/30/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Cool, see you next week!