In-browser 3D, robotics, etc

1 view

Damian Axford

Nov 5, 2015, 5:22:38 AM11/5/15
to swindon-hackspace
Hi All

thread to capture any thoughts, discussion, etc on in-browser 3D - ref the talk series I started last night.  In case anyone didn't get going with the Three.js files, I've attached the zip of the files I was using to this post.

The source is contained in three different examples:
  • simple.htm - spinning cube, about as simple as it gets
  • complex.htm - spinning torus, animated lights with mouse pan controls
  • world.htm - the modifed spinning world example, with the canvas to texture code
You'll need to access these via a local web server to use texture loading, otherwise you'll probably hit a cross-origin security limitation.  I'd also recommend using Chrome to play with 3D stuff.

As per the concluding discussion, the next part in the series will be on the 9th December - more details on the wiki page:

Cheers
Part1.zip

Robert Longbottom

Nov 5, 2015, 5:11:34 PM11/5/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for putting that on last night.  I feel like I know enough to at least enought to do the basics or know what to look for when I get stuck now.

That boilerplate builder just doens't work for me though.  The customized zip file it offers for download just shows up as empty.  Not particuarly important, but might be worth someone else checking to see if it works for them.

I've started on a SCOB simulator - (based in no small part on the Logobot simulator).  So far it looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6RTQoYYqsQ  Not too bad for about an hours work (plus some messing around earlier today).

Rob.

Damian Axford

Nov 5, 2015, 7:09:00 PM11/5/15
to swindon-hackspace
hey... no worries :)

not sure why that builder thing doesn't work for anyone else...  seemed to work ok for me - used it for the demo last night - weird.  Although, it's only a fraction harder to build up a working template from the examples on the main threejs site.

Nice work on the SCOB-ulator - love the waving arm.  now the real question is how realistic are you going to try and make it!  Animated LED mouth?  simulated sonar that react to it's 3D environment??  all quite achievable

... and you'll have to put your code somewhere we can all get to - git?  or perhaps a group dropbox - something I've been pondering for a while

Jess Robinson

Nov 6, 2015, 3:41:26 AM11/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

SCOB-emulation sounds like fun!

Not sure why we'd want a group dropbox, when we have google drive and git already.. what's the advantage?

Jess

Damian Axford

Nov 6, 2015, 7:20:43 AM11/6/15
to swindon-hackspace
no good reason... I just like dropbox :)

Robert Longbottom

Nov 6, 2015, 7:43:13 AM11/6/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

I'll add the code to git later.  It needs the stls and stuff so makes sense for it to go there.

I need to work out what's going on in the js folder though ( that I copied from logobot).  I don't think the minified version is the same as the non-minified.  And for some reason I think that breaks intellisense in visual studio (which is massively helpful when try to learn / guess what methods to call :-) )

Like the idea of the animated Neopixel strip...  Might try that next :-)

Damian Axford

Nov 6, 2015, 5:56:27 PM11/6/15
to swindon-hackspace
if anyone wants to read up further on some of the more fun (complex) stuff.... this guys blog is an excellent place to start:

Damian Axford

Nov 6, 2015, 6:12:34 PM11/6/15
to swindon-hackspace
and the kind of thing you can do with lighting if you use some clever tricks :)

Damian Axford

Nov 6, 2015, 6:13:56 PM11/6/15
to swindon-hackspace
loads more examples on here:

Andrew Beattie

Nov 7, 2015, 2:32:05 AM11/7/15
to swindon-hackspace
I like dropbox too.

But when trying to use it in a group context, I have come unstuck.  You wake up one morning and find a huge chunk of everything missing.  This happens when one of the group decides that they want a "local copy" of everything and drags it onto their desktop.  Because dropbox already is a "local copy" (as opposed to a remote drive), the OS defaults to a destructive MOVE rather than a duplicating COPY and woosh!  the only copy of the entire project is on their desktop - it is removed from the dropbox directory and the removal is faithfuly replicated to everyone else.

Andrew

Robert Longbottom

Nov 8, 2015, 12:39:11 PM11/8/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I've had a bit of a tidy up of what I had, sorted out JS dependecies, etc and put it in github.  Functionality it doesn't do anything more that it did before which is wave his arm, but its a start!

Git link: https://github.com/snhack/SCOB/tree/master/software/simulator

View it link: https://rawgit.com/snhack/SCOB/master/software/simulator/index.html

Will do some more later!

Rob.

Damian Axford

Nov 8, 2015, 6:57:47 PM11/8/15
to swindon-hackspace
@Andrew..... hmm, good point

@Rob - excellent :)

and here's another selection of interesting things (extensions) todo with threejs:

Robert Longbottom

Dec 2, 2015, 9:05:54 AM12/2/15
to swindon-hackspace
This might be an interesting (free) course for anyone who wants to do a bit more with THREE.js.  I suspect the first few weeks will cover the same ground we covered previously but at a more leisurely pace.