Shopping List

Robert Longbottom

Oct 15, 2014, 8:31:50 AM10/15/14
to Swindon Hackspace
Hi,

As we discussed at our organisation meeting last night I've removed the
shopping list from the tools page on the wiki and created a new dedicated
shopping list page here (its also linked from the wiki homepage):

https://github.com/snhack/snhack.github.com/wiki/Shopping-List

I've added the items I remember from last night, if I've missed anything
(sorry!) please add them.

I'd propose we aim to get a list together in the next week of things we
think we want now with a view to making a firm decision next Wednesday
night (22nd), then I'll go ahead and order them.

I envisage this page being a "general" items list and if a specific project
has a specific shopping list then that could be a list on that projects
wiki page (or a page in that projects wiki if it has one)

Cheers,
Rob.

jmeosbn .

Oct 15, 2014, 10:58:58 AM10/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hope you don't mind, but I tabulated the lists to make them easy to process (manually, or by copying into a spreadsheet) and to highlight where information needs to be added.

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Oct 15, 2014, 11:11:42 AM10/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, looks better that way. I was doing it on my phone, so minimal formatting effort was made!

jmeosbn .

Oct 16, 2014, 5:31:37 PM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Moved jumpers to a new "common consumables" section - I must have missed those last week, I didn't even see the unpeeled ribbon there (just ten or so singles).

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Oct 16, 2014, 5:59:14 PM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah good, I was thinking about having a list like that.

I've just added Pi Wifi dongle to the list since it sounds like Simon wont be buying one for the Teletype and to continuously swap them will just get annoying.  Same one I bought myself recently, but now £4 cheaper!

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Robert Longbottom <Robe...@iname.com> wrote:
[...]

jmeosbn .

Oct 16, 2014, 6:07:05 PM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Spoke to Simon a few hours ago, he's going to pick up a few from ebay (for the teletype, 3d printer, museum pi upstairs, dev-pi).

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Oct 16, 2014, 6:08:45 PM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
^Z ^Z ^Z (for people who speak Windows)

jmeosbn .

Oct 16, 2014, 6:11:51 PM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
P.S. I'm wondering if the item and link columns should be merged into one like here. The notes column is handy to hint at adding info to be looked up, but once you have the item found there is info duped between those columns (resulting in messy line wrapping!).

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Oct 16, 2014, 6:13:24 PM10/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That just means "suspend process to background".. Ah, like ⌘Z (for people who speak Mac!)

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Oct 21, 2014, 4:25:45 PM10/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
So far on the list we have two items that we could get - do we want to make a decision on these tomorrow night?
  • Some small dia heatshrink - 2:1 2.4mm and 3.2mm seems sensible - ebay seems reasonable at £1.20 & £1.30 per meter including postage.  We could get a couple of meters of each.
  • Some drill bits - there is a nice looking 19 piece set of HSS bits 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm ... 10mm - ebay again £3.99 including postage.
There is also a request for some stripboard - Jamie I think this was probably you?  I thought there were a few bits in one of the electronics boxes at the Hackspace, were you after something specific?  Otherwise we could just get some large-ish bits that can be cut up as needed.

Cheers,
Rob.

jmeosbn .

Oct 21, 2014, 4:49:40 PM10/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to order some for the LED array kits. Bitsbox have the right size I need pre-cut - and I ordered one piece of it myself - but if if's much more expensive then we could buy some larger pieces (I think we should have some anyway).

I think we looked for stripboard recently and there were some small off cuts, and a larger piece of an incompatible pitch.

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Oct 21, 2014, 4:50:35 PM10/21/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Robert Longbottom

Oct 22, 2014, 5:42:52 AM10/22/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Cool, yep, you can get it on ebay for slightly less depending on how many you are looking for and if you happen to need to buy anything else from bitsbox (to combine postage).  Buying larger sheets and cutting them up would be cheaper by about 1/2 [*], but I doubt it's worth worrying about that too much unless you are buying boards in the 1000's .

Just need to decide how many of which size(s).

In terms of general approach, there is always the problem of "oh if you combine shipping, etc," This makes finding the "cheapest" difficult because you don't know what else you are buying.

To "solve" this problem I'd suggest we do what we are doing now and gather a couple of options / prices for each item we want.  We then agree that we are going to get them and that the prices / links we've found them for them are acceptable (give or take).  Then whoever is doing the order can work out the "best" (cheapest, convenient, ...) way to get the items from the various links found (or others at the same price) and place the order.

Rob.

Board Size 25 x 64 mm 64 x 95 mm 95 x 127 mm
Number of Tracks 9 24 36
Number of Holes (per track) 25 37 50
Total Holes 225 888 1800

Cost for 5 £1.98 £4.77 £6.97
£ per hole 0.00176 0.00107 0.00077
pence per hole 0.18 0.11 0.08
Holes per £ 568 931 1291

On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:50:35 UTC+1, jmeosbn wrote:

Jamie Osborne

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM, jmeosbn .  wrote:
I wanted to order some for the LED array kits. Bitsbox have the right size I need pre-cut - and I ordered one piece of it myself - but if if's much more expensive then we could buy some larger pieces (I think we should have some anyway).

I think we looked for stripboard recently and there were some small off cuts, and a larger piece of an incompatible pitch.

Jamie Osborne

Jamie Osborne

Oct 22, 2014, 6:26:04 AM10/22/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I did think that - but I saw you put "Bitsbox or eBay" for a few things and assumed postage was the main factor!

Jamie
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to swindon-hacksp...@googlegroups.com.

Jamie Osborne

Nov 24, 2014, 10:50:21 AM11/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Diane's given us a 19 piece set of Rolson "Titananium Nitride Coated" Drill bits, for "Aluminium, Wood, and Plastic".

As for heat shrink, I'll see what sizes I have - otherwise Farnel was about around a pound or less for 5 metres so I don't mind splitting a pack of each size.

We still need stripboard and various other components for the arduino kits though. Perhaps someone could take the kitty from Saturday in exchange for a PayPal order (though the arduino minis and adapters are best bought from Aliexpress, who don't take PayPal).

Jamie

Robert Longbottom

Nov 24, 2014, 2:46:21 PM11/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Thats good.  Thanks Diane.  I did notice that there are some drills in one of the takeaway boxes on the open cupboard, though whether any are any good I didn't look.  Having a proper set will be a nice addition.

The other option for the 3d print day money is some solid PLA filament for the Hackspace printer.  Depends how much we made.

Rob.

jmeosbn .

Nov 24, 2014, 3:24:30 PM11/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Well, it doesn't have to be one or the other! ;)

I had hoped to print something solid on Wednesday; do we not have any PLA then?  There was a large reel of something solid and yellow (ugh!) - though it would be nice to have a more neutral colour (white for example).

If someone wants to order/buy some (white?) PLA with the weekend monies then I'm good with that. :)

I was thinking more about methods of payment (wrt aliexpress vs. paypal, vs. prepaid card) than where/what the money was for in particular. We still have the issue of buying stuff from aliexpress (no paypal option) - perhaps Damian could help since he has ordered with them before?  I did find one eBay supplier with arduino pro minis for a similar price as aliexpress (3 for ~£5 - not a bad price, but they also need flashing) - however, we also need adapters which I haven't found as cheap on eBay..  Most other components probably aren't too much more expensive from eBay, Amazon, Farnel, etc., so mainly the arduino and adapters are where it'll hurt the BOM cost.

Jamie Osborne

Damian Axford

Nov 24, 2014, 6:26:49 PM11/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to order stuff from aliexpress if that helps...  flashing is very easy/quick (did it last week) - I wouldn't consider that a barrier

jmeosbn .

Nov 24, 2014, 7:29:10 PM11/24/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yea, I've already done the three I have - I was more concerned about the extra time and complications that might arise when doing several for kits etc.

If you don't mind making the order though, aliexpress is no more expensive, and look to be better quality than the cheap ones I had from eBay.

Jamie Osborne