OpenSCAD for machine design

Damian Axford

Mar 26, 2015, 12:27:31 PM3/26/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

As an off-shoot to our LogoBot project (among others), I'm slowly writing a guide to developing complex designs (machines) in OpenSCAD to be used in concert with a template project hosted on github.

The guide is arranged as a sequence of tutorials that take you through the various concepts, tools, etc.  A strong working knowledge of OpenSCAD is a pre-requisite! :)

The starting point to access all this stuff is on the snhack wiki here:

It would be great to get your feedback on the guide (structure, language, coverage) and also if you find the template project useful.

My intent is to use these tutorials as the basis of our ongoing OpenSCAD training...  which will also help me refine the content.

I already use this template as the starting point for various projects and it's partly how I put together designs like the Y6, Quadstacle gate, etc so quickly.  In that sense, the framework is fairly "production ready", although I tend to be constantly refining it.

Rob - it's fairly easy to port designs into this framework, especially something like your Y6, where it is already in a very similar format.

Cheers

Damian Axford

Mar 26, 2015, 5:42:54 PM3/26/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Boom!  Have finished the first tutorial (with associated files on github):

It'll lead you step by step through:
  • Starting a project, python pre-requisites
  • Key concepts - parts and assemblies
  • Simple assembly of a printed part and an existing vitamin
  • Using the vitamin catalogue
  • Use of utility tools and assembly guide generation
  • Using the sandbox
  • Printing the STL
The end result is a very basic quad copter frame for Hubsan X4 hardware (yes Rob, this was heavily inspired by your frame!), looking like this (Gyrobot colour-scheme):

Jamie Osborne

Mar 26, 2015, 10:25:08 PM3/26/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
This looks great Damian - we should have a run through it one evening.

Jamie

Damian Axford

Mar 27, 2015, 3:57:34 AM3/27/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
thanks and yes, happy to...  just need to pick an evening