Membership tracking and access control

Damian Axford

Nov 12, 2015, 4:12:02 AM11/12/15
to swindon-hackspace
In prep for the upcoming incorporation...  and in readiness for a new location.  We had a quick chat last night about building a combined membership tracking/mgmt and access control system.  There are a bunch of existing projects along these lines, but for now, we're going to have a go at building one.

Jess is working on the server (database, etc), I'm going to make a start on the client side (i.e. the door or machine control bit).

Rough architecture:
  • Server:
    • Simple relational database
    • Web service providing admin interface and simple api for endpoints
    • Probably in Perl, maybe Python
  • Client:
    • ESP8266 connected thing, that can control electric door strikes and/or power to machine tools
    • Might be Arduino+ESP8266, or NodeMCU
    • Has one, or more NFC/RFID reader modules for diff card types
    • Talks to server over simple http api
Jess has some photos of our flipchart notes - hopefully can post them here (nudge nudge).

Potential API:
  • get /openSesame?thingID=123&accessToken=456
    • Server looks up thingID (which represents the unique door or machine)
    • and checks to see if card/tag accessToken (456) matches a known person and if they have access to this thing
    • Returns 1 for yes, 0 for no
    • Client opens door (or turns on machine) if 1