LogoBot for BTEC

Robin Stuart

May 11, 2015, 9:12:15 AM5/11/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not sure if you remember I came to one of your meets last year and unfortunately haven't been able to get back again because of other commitments. I'm hoping I may be able to visit again this Wednesday.

I'm planning to put together a short course in Arduino programming in September for a BTEC First course (GCSE level). What I would like to do is get the students working on a simple wheeled robot perhaps avoiding objects with ultrasound or line following or some similar task. The idea is in its early stages yet, and I don't know if I'm going to get the go-ahead to do it from my boss, but if I do then I will probably need to get about 20 robots assembled over the summer. What I'm trying to gauge at the moment is what I would need to get and how much it would cost. The students will be studying IT, so it will be a case of giving them completed robots and getting them to write the software.

Can I ask anybody involved in the LogoBot project: What state is the project in? Is it nearly production ready and if so what kind of cost are the units likely to be? If I can get there on Wednesday is there any chance I could discuss the requirements with someone?

Any help welcome. Thanks,

Robin.

Damian Axford

May 13, 2015, 7:14:27 AM5/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, rstua...@gmail.com
Hi Robin

LogoBot is approx 80% developed in terms of hardware, software is barely started, but there is a huge amount of ref info online - so that shouldn't be an issue (esp. for a programming course!).

Kit cost is around £10, including batteries.  You may want to tweak the spec level up a little to make the kits easier to assemble/more robust.

Happy to discuss requirements this evening if you can make it...  it would be a great incentive to get the project complete!  Jamie has also been working on an Arduino course which may complement what you're planning - I'm sure he'd be happy to discuss that as well.

thanks
Damian