Nesta UK Makerspaces Research

Andrew Sleigh

Jan 28, 2015, 12:25:38 PM1/28/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I’m getting touch on behalf of Nesta. We are doing a research project to map all of the makerspaces in the UK. This is information that we hope will give a better picture of the state of making in the UK right now; provide evidence of skills, demand, and action; make a case for investment and support; and be a useful resource for anyone thinking of starting or joining a space.

We’re conducting a survey (using Google forms) of all the spaces we can find, and will make the results available as an open data set in the Spring.

We obviously want to include Swindon Hackspace, so I hope you don't mind me posting here to ask for your help. I’ve filled in what I can in the form, and I’d really appreciate it if you’d help plug any of the gaps. This URL takes you straight to your pre-filled version:

If you look, you'll see that it is a rather long form, however, I hope it won't be too time-consuming:
 - I can see there is actually quite a lot of info on your website about tools etc. If this is up-to-date, you could just paste this in as a block, and I will clean it up structure-wise
 - We'd like to share anonymised data about finances et, and I can see you're collection this stuff, and happy to share it, so you may have all this already. And if you don't, every question is optional.

This URL could be shared with anyone who’s able to speak with authority about this space.

Thanks, and any questions, do let me know,
Andrew

Andrew Sleigh
www.andrewsleigh.com  |  @andrewsleigh

Damian Axford

Jan 28, 2015, 12:32:56 PM1/28/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
HI Andrew

We participated in a similar survey last year - see this thread:

thanks

Andrew Sleigh

Jan 28, 2015, 12:41:29 PM1/28/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damian,
thanks for the link.

I've found this report on their site:

Which looks interesting, but unfortunately does not have any data on individual spaces – it's all aggregate data.

I know that hackspaces are constantly being surveyed by folk like me, and it can be wearing - or just too much hassle - for some. However, I hope that the data set we are compiling will of use to lots of people, so I would appreciate if you could spend any time on this. If you can't (which is fine!) it would be great to know if I can pull the data off your website, (i.e. is that reasonably up-to-date?)

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew Sleigh

Feb 14, 2015, 5:48:27 AM2/14/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hello again,
I just wanted to let you know that we're about to wrap up our research. If you can find the time to respond to any of the form (it's all optional) that would be great.

If you can't, that's OK, I understand. But if you could let me know, I will go and grab what I can off your website.

Thanks,
Andrew

Damian Axford

Feb 17, 2015, 9:30:59 AM2/17/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew

Have submitted the form with quick responses - hope it's not too late

thanks

Andrew Sleigh

Feb 17, 2015, 9:57:17 AM2/17/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com