National Science and Engineering Week

Gyrobot

Feb 4, 2014, 4:45:04 PM2/4/14
Hi Hackers,

http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/events/nsew/step-future-try-technologies-tomorrow
https://www.facebook.com/events/564958790261795/?context=create&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

As you may know, the Museum of Computing are hosting an event for National Science and Engineering week and the theme is technologies of the future. The event wants to showcase 3D printing and it would be great to have some real working 3D printers on the go to show people when they come. Do any of you hackers want to bring your 3D printers along to the event, Damian, Tony, Jess and James + we could demonstrate the Prusa too? I think it would be a great opportunity for the Swindon Hackspace and it's members to demonstrate what we are capable of and give the group a bit of a promotion.

The event will just be two Saturdays, the 15th and the 22nd of March. The event would last from around 09:30 to 5pm on the day and hopefully this will mean a steady influx of people.

I have offered to attend with my printer + I can run the Prusa too although I can only attend on the 22nd because it's my son's birthday on the 15th March. I will also bring along the quadcopter for a static display of flying camera drones and some example prints to showcase what 3D printing can do.

We can talk more about it tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
Steve.

Jess Robinson

Feb 5, 2014, 11:57:01 AM2/5/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Gyrobot

Hi Steve,

This sounds like a great idea, happy to join in. I don't think we're currently busy on the 15th+22nd March, will check. Might need sound proofing for the noisy ones though! We could also demo/let people fiddle with OpenSCAD or other tools and print what they design. We should also have flyers for taking away as well..

On a vaguely related note, I keep meaning to order a something with the hackspace logo on it. Currently I'm thinking about a fruit of the loom fleece, which various "add your own logo" sites seem to sell for somewhere around £15 including embroidered logo. Does anyone else want one as well? There's generally a one-time fee for the "translate your design" part, after which you can order any clothing they do, with it on.

Jess

Gyrobot

Feb 8, 2014, 2:44:39 PM2/8/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Gyrobot
I would be happy to have team fleece or polo shirts etc. Would be good for the Science and Engineering week.

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 4:19:15 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Gyrobot
could also bring my hexacopter down and was thinking about doing a little stand on the laser cutter, perhaps bring some cut samples, etc

Gyrobot

Feb 11, 2014, 5:10:37 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Gyrobot

The more the merrier, Quadcopters, Hexacopters, Printers, Laser cutters, fantastic. Great examples of what can be achieved with modern resources, Tweet, re-tweet, Facelike etc, spread the word.

We need to create a Hackspace leaflet to give away, any volunteers or will the deafening silence mean I have to do it?

Another nice little leaflet to print out and give away.

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 6:53:04 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Gyrobot
:)

fan as I am of the deafening silence, I'd be happy to do the layout for print, if someone (you) wants to take lead on content/copy?

Robert Longbottom

Feb 11, 2014, 7:06:50 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I did get as far as looking for flyer ideas and found a flyer for the Bristol hackspace. Google "Bristol hackspace flyer" and its the first result. Nice and simple and clear. Just a few links and their meeting time. I would say we want something like that.

:)

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 7:47:20 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
good find - POP to rip off

So... questions:
  • happy with A4?  or want to drop to A5?
  • what pics should we include?  anyone fancy linking in their top 4-6 pics?
  • who/how/with-what is this getting printed?  (and therefore are block background colours viable or not)

Jess Robinson

Feb 11, 2014, 8:26:09 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Damian Axford, Gyrobot
Deafening silence? Give a person a chance to actually see the thing, that was barely a couple of hours... Don't you have work to do? ;)

How about we all chip in with ideas of what should be on it, and see how we go?

Jess

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:53:04 -0000, Damian Axford <dam...@axford.me.uk> wrote:

:)

fan as I am of the deafening silence, I'd be happy to do the layout for print, if someone (you) wants to take lead on content/copy?

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 8:27:19 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Damian Axford, Gyrobot
work, shmurck...  :)

Gyrobot

Feb 11, 2014, 8:49:51 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Damian Axford, Gyrobot

Chip away Jess, it's compulsory.

I'm happy to go basic, simple but eye-catching. I can print in colour on A4/A3 at work, standard paper though. I think A5 is a better size.

To include the following (as an example).

Logo, Title.

Interested in technology, old and new?
Is hardware, software and mechanical assembly your thing?
Swindon Hackspace is a community of like minded makers, breakers and fixers.
Come and join us from 6:30pm Wednesdays at The Museum of Computing, Swindon.
£4 entry on the door.

http://swindon.hackspace.org.uk/

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 9:14:10 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Damian Axford, Gyrobot
excellent - I'd also vote for A5.  Now we just need a shortlist of pictures to hack something together...

Gyrobot

Feb 11, 2014, 9:20:32 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
There is plenty on the Flickr pool to choose from as a start.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2017655@N23/

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 9:45:40 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
first stab attached (exc pictures)...

Anyone got a decent photo of the Prusa printing?

A5 flyer.pdf

Robert Longbottom

Feb 11, 2014, 9:47:20 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I like the widescreen Swindon Hackspace on the led panels picture that is usually at the top of the hackspace website.

A5 flyers sound best to me too. Saves paper and people are more likely to take a smaller flyer.

On 11 Feb 2014, at 02:20 PM, Gyrobot <sp...@gyrobot.co.uk> wrote:

There is plenty on the Flickr pool to choose from as a start.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/2017655@N23/

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 10:00:57 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
do you think we should include a QR code that takes you to our website?

Gyrobot

Feb 11, 2014, 10:09:26 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Some wide and super wide panorama piccys attached. Maybe they could go up the side of the leaflet with the QR code on the end?
pano_pics.zip

Gyrobot

Feb 11, 2014, 10:13:09 AM2/11/14

I would remove the reference to the Science and Engineering week so we can still distribute left over leaflets (in pubs library etc) after the event?

BTW I love the title theme embedding the website url, Nice.

Robert Longbottom

Feb 11, 2014, 10:17:40 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yes if we had a general flyer we could leave some on the museum entrance for people to take away at any time.

QR code?  Does anyone use those things when the web address is there in plain text anyway? :-)

Might be worth including twitter (and book face?) links as well for the trendy kids... :-)

On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 14:45:40 UTC, Damian Axford wrote:
first stab attached (exc pictures)...

Anyone got a decent photo of the Prusa printing?

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 10:41:26 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
right...  dropped the NSEW logo, abandon QR code idea, added twitter/facebook links, added pics

thoughts?

PS - embedded pics are at 150dpi, let me know if you'd rather 300dpi

A5 flyer.pdf

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 10:42:03 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
also - illustrator/pdf source files are in the snhack/documentation git repo

Gyrobot

Feb 11, 2014, 10:48:15 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Looking great Damian thank you.

Orange dividing line between the piccys perhaps?

Robert Longbottom

Feb 11, 2014, 10:47:58 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Nice, I like it.
<A5 flyer.pdf>

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 10:52:08 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
cool, and no worries

now with orange dividing lines (and claw facing inward)

A5 flyer.pdf

Robert Longbottom

Feb 11, 2014, 10:58:05 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That claw will never win against gyrobot no matter which way it is facing!  :-)

On 11 Feb 2014, at 03:52 PM, Damian Axford <dam...@axford.me.uk> wrote:

cool, and no worries

now with orange dividing lines (and claw facing inward)

<A5 flyer.pdf>

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 11:11:35 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
fight fight :)

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 11:13:24 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
random brainwave....  could we do a youtube series featuring gyrobot destroying random stuff to promote the hackspace?   perhaps book a hall, erect a "blast shield" and sell tickets to view the destruction...  invite people to pit their random electronic junk against gyrobot.  take bets on how long it will survive?  etc

perhaps combine with a BBQ and some beers...

Robert Longbottom

Feb 11, 2014, 11:24:12 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like fun :-)

We could film it by quadcopter to keep up with the Olympics....  Though no destroying the quadcopters - they are perfectly capable of doing that themselves!

On 11 Feb 2014, at 04:13 PM, Damian Axford <dam...@axford.me.uk> wrote:

random brainwave....  could we do a youtube series featuring gyrobot destroying random stuff to promote the hackspace?   perhaps book a hall, erect a "blast shield" and sell tickets to view the destruction...  invite people to pit their random electronic junk against gyrobot.  take bets on how long it will survive?  etc

perhaps combine with a BBQ and some beers...

Gyrobot

Feb 11, 2014, 11:26:07 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Bit like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UCUsazmIg

Trouble is, bit like Quadcoptering, batteries only last for a 5 minute fight (at best) then time to change, except unlike Quadcoptering, these batteries cost a lot more and they ran flat a long time ago :(

Shame, although I still like the idea of a BBQ and beers though....:-P

Robert Longbottom

Feb 11, 2014, 11:41:33 AM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Still a great video, I love the way it chews ups those drawers.

Damian Axford

Feb 11, 2014, 12:20:51 PM2/11/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
awesome :)  and pity about the batteries, nevermind

jmeosbn

Feb 19, 2014, 3:56:27 PM2/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damian,

I meant to commit that leaflet layout I did in markdown and css a while back.  If you don't mind, I can take some of the ideas from yours to use for our general hackspace leaflets, in md/css so those that don't want to fork out for adobe stuff can still edit it! ;)

I've included a work in progress that's far too verbose atm (I've just pulled existing text from the website and previous leaflets), but it's simply markdown and css rendered as html and printed as pdf.

Jamie
Markdown Preview.pdf

jmeosbn

Feb 19, 2014, 5:34:37 PM2/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I've pushed my commits to the documentation repo, the leaflet is in publicity/leaflet.md.

The css is a bit messy if I recall correctly (but I haven't looked at it in a while - I'm sure there was some reason I didn't push my commits at the time!!).

Jamie

Damian Axford

Feb 25, 2014, 2:08:16 PM2/25/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
cool, hack away - illustrator's just quicker for me :)

Robert Longbottom

Mar 13, 2014, 6:32:15 PM3/13/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not sure who else was planning on going to this on Saturday, but I'll be there doing my best to run the Hackspace 3D printer and hand out leaflets from 9:30ish.  See you there if you are going, or send your print requests if there is anything you want me to try and print :-)

Rob.

On Tuesday, 4 February 2014 21:40:25 UTC, Gyrobot wrote:
[...]

Jamie Osborne

Mar 13, 2014, 7:06:30 PM3/13/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'm still planning to come by and see how it's going (and if you need anything..)
Jamie Osborne

Jess Robinson

Mar 14, 2014, 7:18:40 AM3/14/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Robert Longbottom
We'll be there this Sat with our Shapercube.

Jess

Damian Axford

Mar 14, 2014, 7:42:01 AM3/14/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there - bringing hexacopter and perhaps some other bits...

Damian Axford

Mar 15, 2014, 8:58:09 AM3/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't look like we'll make it today after all... Busy fixing wife's car :(

Robert Longbottom

Mar 15, 2014, 1:53:46 PM3/15/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
It went pretty well.  Quite a few people looking round asking questions, a fair bit of interest from the kids club as well.

The hackspace 3d printer mostly behaved itself apart from the annoying heater issues we seem to have and at one point it seemed the y-axis was sticking again.

I managed to print a little wheel, a hackspace logo, a letter A designed by one of the kids club kids, a letter L for another one of them, a small train for a little boy who _really_ liked trains, and a mini tardis and a little fox pendant for a couple of the museum volunteers.

James an Jess printed various bits on their printer for people too. The hackspace printer is utterly silent compared to their beast :-)

People in general were very impressed with the selection of prints supplied by Steve that we laid out on the table.

All in all a successful day. But we really need to work out what that heater problem is!  I suspect it might be power because it seems if you let the bed heat up first and then heat the extruder its usually okay, but if you try to do both at once it pretty much always fails.

Picture from early in the day attached.

Rob.

On 15 Mar 2014 12:58, Damian Axford <dam...@axford.me.uk> wrote:

> Doesn't look like we'll make it today after all... Busy fixing wife's car :(

IMG_20140315_112258.jpg

Jess Robinson

Mar 16, 2014, 5:18:35 AM3/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Robert Longbottom

Volunteers needed to translate this into a hackspace blog post? ;) (hmm..
I haven't done one yet have I..)

Love the pic, is it in the flickr group / can we add it please?

Jess

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 17:53:46 -0000, Robert Longbottom <robe...@iname.com>

Robert Longbottom

Mar 16, 2014, 6:02:48 AM3/16/14
to Jess Robinson, swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think a report on this would make a good addition to the
hackspace website, well volunteered ;-)

I've uploaded my photos from the day here, and also added them to the
hackspace group.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/astrofraggle/sets/72157642423893633/

Robert Longbottom

Mar 16, 2014, 6:41:53 AM3/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I managed to hand out a few of the hackspace leaflets :-)
Plenty left for next week as well.

There was one guy who me and James were talking to about a pen plotter
that he had modified for circuit board printing / etching that he could
no longer use because the software needed Win98 and he was saying he
woudn't mind donating it to the hackspace - I made sure he went away
with a leaflet too :-)

Jamie Osborne

Mar 16, 2014, 11:40:39 AM3/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
That sounds great, hope it turns up!

I couldn't make it after all, but I hope to catch the one this weekend. From the sounds of it, it was a huge success!

Great pics Rob, thanks for adding them to the group too! :)

Jamie

Tony Walmsley

Mar 16, 2014, 2:02:31 PM3/16/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Glad the day went well - I was Up North visiting family so couldn't make it.

Rob, I think you're right about the heating problem - my printer heats the bed first, then the nozzle, not both together - its annoying having to wait for it to reheat between prints but I assume there's a good reason to do it that way.

Simon Webb

Mar 17, 2014, 3:56:46 AM3/17/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all the Hackspace guys for putting this on. A really great day, very busy! Would you mind if I used one or two of your photos for the museum website Rob?

Simon

Robert Longbottom

Mar 17, 2014, 4:54:09 AM3/17/14
to Simon Webb, swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Simon,
Yeah no worries if you want to use some of the pictures, just grab whichever ones you want.

Cheers,
Rob.