Swindon Hackspace has a new home and name!

Damian Axford

Mar 1, 2016, 12:24:55 PM3/1/16
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Hi All

As past members/visitors to the Swindon Hackspace, we wanted to let you know some momentous news - we have just taken the plunge and signed the lease on our very own 600 sq ft industrial unit : Unit 34, BSS House, Cheney Manor, Swindon, SN2 2PJ.

In prep for the move, we established ourselves as a not-for-profit Community Interest Company (CIC) and changed our name to Swindon Makerspace.

Starting this week, we will begin fitting out the space and are aiming to have four “zones” ready for use by the beginning of April:

  • Clean - Set of desks for computing, electronics, sewing and light crafts

  • Wood - Woodworking bench, table saw and collection of hand/power tools

  • Metal - Mill, lathes, welding gear and other metal-working tools

  • Electronics and Fabrication - Long side bench with prototyping and test equipment

Full membership is just £25/month, and includes 24x7 access to the facility.  You can find detailed information, including membership benefits, rules and location in our Membership Guide.

The founding members are all pouring time/money into this project to get it going, but we still need your support - to be sustainable long-term, we need to grow our regular membership to around 30 - over triple what it is now.  So please come along, check out the new space and consider becoming a full member!

We would also be very grateful for any donations of cash, equipment and/or time you can offer, especially in the first couple of months whilst we get everything operational.  If we can raise enough money, then we’ll be installing a mezzanine floor (to take us to over 1000 sq ft) and a laser cutter!

For any questions, feedback or offers of help - please get in touch via:

Hope to see you all at the new space soon!

Thanks

Jess, James, Damian, Steve and Rob

Note - We’ll continue to host the regular Wednesday night meetings at the Museum of Computing through March, and then move these to the new space for April.

We're also emailing this message out to all past attendees/visitors, so apologies if you receive it twice.

Damian Axford

Mar 6, 2016, 6:41:11 PM3/6/16
to swindon-hackspace
Hi All

The first few days of fit-out have seen rapid progress, with the redundant partition walls and suspended ceilings being stripped out, some of the resulting rubble removed and first stages of the rewire begun.

More details and photos on the new website: swindon-makerspace.org

Latest articles:
Tasks for the week ahead include:
  • Relocate final sockets, pull cable and fit faceplates
  • Finish removing waste - about 6 boot loads to go
  • Repaint walls (white)
  • Finalise and buy insurance
  • Install CCTV mk1
  • Install H&S gear inc emergency lighting
  • Install & test broadband / WiFi
  • Receive initial timber delivery for desk, bench and bar stool construction
  • Start furniture construction
We have tea/coffee, biscuits and a high-end dual-cassette stereo (!) to keep us motivated, but as you can see, we also have a very busy schedule - so extra pairs of hands are extremely welcome!

We'll be back in the space tomorrow evening from around 8pm if you're up for it....      Unit 34, BSS House, Cheney Manor - map and other info on the website

...and/or come join us on Telegram, where we conduct most of the project planning/discussion: https://telegram.me/joinchat/BIkTkQcGrxfaJ8lO_K9VkQ

Cheers

Damian Axford

Mar 8, 2016, 4:20:13 PM3/8/16
to swindon-hackspace

Hi All

Work is progressing quickly on the fit-out of Unit 34 and so we’ve decided to speed up the relocation of Wednesday night meetings to the new space - starting tomorrow (9th March).  We’ll be meeting at the Museum of Computing from 6:30pm, loading up boots with our remaining equipment and then heading over to the Makerspace for around 8pm.

Where to find us: Unit 34, BSS House, Cheney Manor, Swindon, SN2 2PJ

Because the new space isn’t really usable for general hacking yet, we’re waiving the entry fee for March on the basis anyone popping in gets stuck into the fit-out!  There’s plenty of jobs to do, and a great social atmosphere - with several new members getting involved over the last few days.

From next week (16th March) onwards, we will meet at the new Makerspace, and thus tomorrow is the final goodbye to the MoC.

For any questions, feedback, donations, etc - please get in touch via:

Jess, James, Damian, Steve, and Rob

Damian Axford

Mar 15, 2016, 7:11:31 AM3/15/16
to swindon-hackspace
HI All

Work on the new space continues to progress quickly - latest update on the website: http://www.swindon-makerspace.org/2016/03/12/paint-and-sockets/

Tomorrow sees the arrival of the bulk timber delivery, based on which we'll start building the furniture for the space (desks, side benches, wood bench, barstools) - as such, Steve & James will be at the space all day tomorrow (Wed 16th) to receive the delivery and continue with painting.  Additional hands would be appreciated!

thanks

Swindon Makerspace

May 6, 2016, 4:09:02 AM5/6/16
to swindon-m...@googlegroups.com, swindon-...@googlegroups.com
The Swindon Advertiser is due at the space from 10am Saturday morning to write an article and to take photos. It would be great if you could spare a couple of hours to be available to make the space look busy and a hive of excitement ;)

Let's make all the things.
Swindon Makerspace.