Bristol Maker Faire - Final Prep

Robert Longbottom

Aug 20, 2015, 4:13:09 AM8/20/15
to swindon-hackspace
Okay here goes, an attempt at a list of things to take / do before Saturday.  Feel free to add anything else.

Doors open 8am on Sat to makers, briefing at 9:45am, public in at 10am.

I'll aim to get there around 9:15-ish so there is a bit of time to setup stuff, work out where things are, etc.  Google maps says 40 miles, ~54mins.

Stuff to Take on Friday (James, Jess, Jamie) - let us know how it goes, if there's anything extra we need to bring or know before Saturday.
  • Teletype and associated paraphernalia
  • LogoBotPolar on display stand

Stuff to take on Saturday
Anyone:
  • 4-gang plug board (better to have too many!)
  • Batteries
  • Useful "tools" - laptop, random cables, screwdriver, multimeter, stuff...
  • Drinks, snacks, ...
Rob:
  • LED Cube
  • FlappyDuino
  • Plotclock
  • Loogobots, paper, pens, batteries, spare parts for people to handle
  • I picked up a handful of HackSpace leaflets last night, will try and print some more
Damain
  • Loogobots, paper, pens, batteries, spare parts for people to handle
  • Build guide printouts
  • Working Pi for Logobot Polar
See you there!
Rob.

Damian Axford

Aug 20, 2015, 7:05:16 AM8/20/15
to swindon-hackspace
Excellent start!

Jess/James - when grabbing the polargraph, please make sure you include:
  • The flipchart stand and polargraph wooden board
  • Detach the polargraph carriage for transport (just unplug the servo connection and unhook the fishing line from the capstans)
  • The power supply - taped to the back of the flipchart
  • The spare paper - draped over the top of the flipchart
...and thanks for shuttling all the heavy stuff :)

In addition to what Rob said, I'll also bring:
  • Laptop, some jumper wires, random "fixing" tools - whatever will go in a backpack
  • At least one 4-gang extension lead (a long one)
  • Will have a go at making some Logobot leaflets - especially for everyone making shonkbots :)
Hope Friday unloading goes well - see you Saturday around 9:30

Damian Axford

Aug 21, 2015, 9:35:07 AM8/21/15
to swindon-hackspace
Logobot guide and doc index pages printed - included tidying up the css for print layouts :)

Now working on some Logobot leaflets...

Robert Longbottom

Aug 21, 2015, 9:45:56 AM8/21/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Cool, I made a couple of logo command guides last night in a similar style to the build guide pages - I.e just an .md file and using the same wrapper html pages, CSS, etc.  Would be good to include those with the standard docs in git somehow.

Also printed another 40(?) Hackspace leaflets to bring along.

On 21 August 2015 14:35:09 Damian Axford <dam...@axford.me.uk> wrote:

Logobot guide and doc index pages printed - included tidying up the css for print layouts :)

Now working on some Logobot leaflets...

Damian Axford

Aug 21, 2015, 9:50:16 AM8/21/15
to swindon-hackspace
excellent...  want to add the command guide to the repo under the /hardware/docs area...  I can look at linking it in

Robert Longbottom

Aug 21, 2015, 11:46:29 AM8/21/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Added.  Its not quite right, the print view gives you a blank page first for some odd reason, but I just ignored that.  Was trying to get something that would print on a single page.

On 21/08/2015 14:50, Damian Axford wrote:
excellent...  want to add the command guide to the repo under the /hardware/docs area...  I can look at linking it in

Damian Axford

Aug 21, 2015, 11:57:52 AM8/21/15
to swindon-hackspace
nice one - have tweaked the styles - now prints on one page, and the tables are slightly wider to make it easier to read

Robert Longbottom

Aug 22, 2015, 2:50:21 PM8/22/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
A good, but tiring day! People seemed interested in everything, and it
all worked well. Good work everyone!

I've put some pictures on flickr in the hackspace group, feel free to
add any you've taken :-)

https://www.flickr.com/groups/swindon-hackspace/

Also added logobot pictures to the logobot group. Some nice images of a
blank table to start, ending in a fully scribbled on table at the end of
the day.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/logobot/

Rob.

Damian Axford

Aug 22, 2015, 2:54:44 PM8/22/15
to swindon-hackspace
hear hear :)  and just on cue, Virgin managed to fix our cable outage so we're back online after a rather irritating 21 hrs!

Jamie - I know we discussed it briefly earlier, but given the number of people that were going to go to the hackspace website to find Logobot info, it would be great if you could magic up a giant "Logobot" button fairly sharpish :)

Will have a look at the various assembly guide comments tomorrow...  time to chillax this evening, albeit I have started a 0.1mm layer print to see if I can get near the quality of the rep rap pro guys!

Robert Longbottom

Aug 22, 2015, 2:59:13 PM8/22/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
.1mm - heh heh.  I've printed one thing at .1mm I think and it came out very nicely (that 3d printed glider I had one time when we went flying).  Tediously slow though!  Possibly worth it for the rare occasion that you want something really special.  It would be nice to print a logobot voronoi shell at .1mm, but at 14 hours, I'm not sure I'm that patient!

jmeosbn

Aug 22, 2015, 5:16:31 PM8/22/15
to swindon-hackspace
Damn, I've only just seen this and the gems in my home folder are using the 2.1.0 abi and I have 2.2.0 and one gem won't install!!!

I've committed a change to source, if someone else can compile and publish before I get this sorted then please do (am waiting on slow internet right now)..

jmeosbn

Aug 22, 2015, 5:47:48 PM8/22/15
to swindon-hackspace
Rather than wait until I've fixed ruby on my machine - or installed on Linux - I've "manually compiled" the change I committed. ;)

jmeosbn

Aug 22, 2015, 6:07:00 PM8/22/15
to swindon-hackspace
Ok, fixed my Ruby and committed changes including properly generated site.

Lmk if you want the link pointing anywhere else or something different. 😀

Jamie

Damian Axford

Aug 22, 2015, 7:22:47 PM8/22/15
to swindon-hackspace
Nice one, will check it properly in the morning

jmeosbn

Aug 23, 2015, 7:59:58 AM8/23/15
to swindon-hackspace
Hey Rob, can I pinch one of your pics for the pano image on the website?

Cheers :)

jmeosbn

Aug 23, 2015, 8:45:32 AM8/23/15
to swindon-hackspace
In lieu of Rob's okay, I've put up a cropped and slightly edited version of one of the pics from the group - lmk if any problems etc.

Jamie

Robert Longbottom

Aug 23, 2015, 8:54:30 AM8/23/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com