What happened at hackspace this week...

1 view

Robert Longbottom

Apr 9, 2015, 7:47:26 AM4/9/15
to Swindon Hackspace
Hi,

In a similar vein to the "what am I going to do this week" thread, here's a
what did we / I do at the hackspace this week thread. I think it would be
nice to capture some of the things that happen which aren't necessarily
evident unless you are there, which I think covers a fair bit. We can see
how it goes anyway :-). I'll start with what I did and was involved in.
Please add more detail and info about these and other things that went on.

I tried to get a bit further with writing some Arduino code to run a basic
web server using the esp8266 serial to WiFi module. I didn't manage to get
it working but its close, just some issues with timings around sending the
web page I think.

We had Steve's friend Drew visit to show us his handheld 3d scanner, which
was quite interesting, though he didn't seem all that impressed with it.

We also spent some time trying to improve the scan quality from our 3d
scanner and learning about some of its issues and limitations.

Damian's laser cut flight test plane plan looked pretty good, looking
forward to seeing more successfully laser cut things. I'm definitely
interested in building a flight test foamie plane kit and trying to make a
single copter :-)

Rob.

jmeosbn .

Apr 9, 2015, 9:11:19 AM4/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I didn't get too much done - other than debating the intricacies of the 3D printing parameters in Slic3r.  A spelunking session into it's codebase will be required to convince me further.. ;)

I did repair Mal's dud motor on his Hubsan h107c micro quadcopter though, so the ratio of things broken vs. repaired is improving!

Jamie Osborne

Malcolm Pett

Apr 9, 2015, 10:35:16 AM4/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I got there late (which may be a new theme for a while) and just talked and watched!

And thanks to Jamie fixing my quad...very nice man.

So as was on most of my school reports (many moons ago)...

"Could do better"!

Mal

Robert Longbottom

Apr 9, 2015, 10:40:13 AM4/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

One year in my report for PE (physical ed, i.e. usually football or the dreaded cross country run) I got something like "Robert usually tries to make some effort to participate".

Which to be fair pretty much sums up my enthusiasm for playing sport!  :-)

Malcolm Pett

Apr 9, 2015, 12:32:34 PM4/9/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I was pretty much the same for sport although I like cross country.
My older brother was good at football and Cricket so I was expected to
be as good...But I wasn't...

First time in goal I let a ball in between my legs!

Very popular.

I wonder if deep down I was "scared" by that whole issue which is why
I find it very difficult to watch football...

Na...Just can not stand the game!

Damian Axford

Apr 16, 2015, 7:26:38 AM4/16/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Personally - I got in a hell of a mess with my burrito, talked LogoBot (esp. mega LogoBot) with Jamie/Nora before Steve sucked me into his translation of a parametric insole model from FreeCAD to OpenSCAD - which involved far too much A-level maths :)

A properly varied, random and engaging evening :)

Robert Longbottom

Apr 16, 2015, 7:43:24 AM4/16/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

It did look a bit messy!  So long as you remembered to pay on the way out they wont be after your body parts next week :-)

I played with 123d circuits (see other email), chatted to Steve about his insole design, chatted to Darren about 3d printers and that was about it really.

Robert Longbottom

Apr 23, 2015, 7:40:18 AM4/23/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
This we had some space invaders from Southampton hackspace, so we printed them a mini flat hackspace logo for their hackspace passport and various people chatted with them.

I spent some time looking at Gerber to gcode conversion and found a reasonable looking piece of software that might work.

Mal brought in his Cyclone PCB milling machine so we had a look at that and worked out that it needs a bearing in the z-axis to stop the gears hitting the carriage. Also some of the gears could do with a reprint so the mesh a bit better. Other than that it looks like its pretty much functional and we just need to sort out software. Damian is going to bring in a bearing which I'll fit next week and I'm going reprint the gears and replace them next week as well. Also solder the x endstop wiring up.

Jamie Osborne

Apr 23, 2015, 3:32:11 PM4/23/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.. I'm sure the lack of quotes around "space invaders" must have provided an amusing second or two for some readers. :D

As for me, I banged my head against three different OS platforms trying to get an Intel Atom based Edison board to work before declaring it non-functional and giving up.

I then looked on interestedly upon Malc's Cyclone and look forward to seeing it cut some copper!

Jamie

Gyrobot

Jun 11, 2015, 3:07:01 PM6/11/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Last night (10/06/2015)

I managed to get the CAD package Antimony working on my Vbox Ubuntu build.

Basically there were 3 problems to overcome
1. Allocate more memory to the Vbox so the compiler did not terminate prematurely due to lack of said memory.
2. Install a package (libgd-dev) which the complier depended on and wasn't mentioned in the build instructions.
3. Disable the 3D acceleration on the Vbox so the graphics would render correctly.

Had a quick play then it was time to go home.

Rob put some printed covers on the printed gears of the printed Cyclone PCB milling machine. Then we discussed printing a super cool Gyrobot Ramps 1.4 enclosure which I shamelessly plugged from Thingiverse : http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:567088

Robert Longbottom

Jun 13, 2015, 6:25:30 AM6/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Ah that's good, turning off 3d acceleration worked.  You'll have to show me what it's like next time.  I'm not sure I want to try and install it on my Linux box because of the qt5 dependency, though I could try the VM route as well.

I've printed the electronics box for the cyclone so that's ready to fit next time.  I've also been playing around with Cnc-gcode-controller and have discovered you can single step through the gcode so that's something to try to work out what's going on with cut depth.  I think I've also worked out how to manually draw stuff in Flatcam so I might try drawing a simple test pattern of some lines and try to cut that.

Damian Axford

Jun 18, 2015, 4:51:04 AM6/18/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Robe...@iname.com
Managed to fit the new bumper (100% size! ) and motor clips to LogoBot - conclusion:
  • Motor clips - do the job, but could do with some kind of cable mgmt
  • Bumper - much stiffer with its new flange, but the springs are now too stiff for head on contacts to push the microswitches
We did get it driving around on the desk - cute and a little sad, as it bumbled around.

Flew new hubsan - crashed into (by) Jamie a lot :)

Rob made more progress on the mill (see PCB thread)

Jamie played lots of depressing music

Robert Longbottom

Jun 18, 2015, 5:21:30 AM6/18/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

And here it is, slowly (though quicker than last time I'm sure!) bumbling around the desk, looking a little lost:

Logobot: https://youtu.be/YL9dUvcSSAY