New Post: Octoprint and the Raspberry Pi Camera Module

Jamie Osborne

May 19, 2014, 11:16:05 AM5/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Octoprint and the Raspberry Pi Camera Module

Author: Steve Wood

The Hackspace recently took delivery of a Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Module from Farnell - full details are on their website. It is an add-on camera module for the Raspberry Pi which has no infrared filter, making it perfect for taking infrared photographs or photographing objects in low light (twilight) conditions. The camera plugs directly into the Pi by way of a 15 pin Ribbon Cable, to the dedicated 15 pin MIPI Camera Serial Interface (CSI).

Read More..

jmeosbn

May 19, 2014, 11:58:13 AM5/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Another great post! :)

Did you manage to get all that done in one Hackspace session - or did you 'apt-get upgrade' beforehand?

Robert Longbottom

May 19, 2014, 1:32:33 PM5/19/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Good post Steve.

What I hadn't realised is that Reading Hackspace were the instigators of the Pi NoIR, or that you could see anything by pointing at things like a soldering iron to pickup the temperature:  http://www.raspberrypi.org/ir-filter-shenanigans

Maybe we should try pointing it at the hotend on the 3D Printer :-)

Rob.

Gyrobot

May 19, 2014, 5:27:39 PM5/19/14
Rob actually did the update on the Pi at home when he was playing with the PiFace.

I actually followed the same steps on my Pi at home, to test the camera etc out on that, before posting.

Jamie Osborne

May 20, 2014, 9:19:53 AM5/20/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that makes more sense!  It seemed like you got it all done at the Hackspace last week - until I read the post that is!

Good links Rob, I've fallen behind in raspberrypi.org posts, which is a shame as they post all the cool pi related stuff they find (which is why I can't keep up I guess).

Jamie