Logobot wheel with flexy filament tyre (picture)

Robert Longbottom

Nov 2, 2014, 6:39:31 AM11/2/14
to Swindon Hackspace
How about an (optional) flexy filament tyre? Like this one:
IMG_20141102_113312.jpg

Damian Axford

Nov 2, 2014, 11:32:52 AM11/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Sweet :) will merge pr shortly

Gyrobot

Nov 2, 2014, 11:34:42 AM11/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Always good, however a simple elastic band will also suffice for non flexible printers, worth mentioning in the instructions.

Robert Longbottom

Nov 2, 2014, 11:43:15 AM11/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I wasn't sure where to put the code for it tbh. It seems odd to
me that Wheel.scad contains the openscad code for the printed part that
is the wheel and also code to generate doucmentation to show it joining
up with the motor. (and now it also contains a flexy tyre)

Might it be better to put the openscad printed part code under the
printed parts directory and have a file that just contains the printed
part (like we have for vitamins) and then include that in the assembly file?

Damian Axford

Nov 2, 2014, 12:06:21 PM11/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
@Steve - elastic band note now in instructions

@Rob - yes, latest changes to build system support splitting out all printed parts into the hardware/printedparts directory, just like for vitamins.  Will be starting to do that once I've finished sorting a few bugs with generating multiple machine variants...   you're welcome to split out the wheel parts now...

Robert Longbottom

Nov 2, 2014, 12:07:51 PM11/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah cool.  Yes, I'll split out the Wheel at some point unless you get there first.

On 02/11/2014 17:06, Damian Axford wrote:
@Steve - elastic band note now in instructions

@Rob - yes, latest changes to build system support splitting out all printed parts into the hardware/printedparts directory, just like for vitamins.  Will be starting to do that once I've finished sorting a few bugs with generating multiple machine variants...   you're welcome to split out the wheel parts now...

Damian Axford

Nov 2, 2014, 12:15:33 PM11/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
@Rob - have added some comments to your PR - will hold off merging until you've had a chance to read them, let me know if you want me to merge as is

Robert Longbottom

Nov 2, 2014, 1:09:34 PM11/2/14
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Ah, if only I'd moved that render() call up a line!  I should have removed it all together really because it made no difference.  Anyway....

I've committed that render call in the right place and it looks much nicer now.

Commit it without the extra step in the instructions as I suspect an elastic band will be quicker, cheaper and easier.  I was just having a mess around with the flexy filament really.  I wasn't expecting the wheel to be as small as it is and thought maybe you could put some tyre details on, but at that size they wouldn't really come out when printed.

Cheers,
Rob.

On 02/11/14 17:15, Damian Axford wrote:
@Rob - have added some comments to your PR - will hold off merging until you've had a chance to read them, let me know if you want me to merge as is