Handheld Linux Terminal

Robert Longbottom

Jan 13, 2015, 11:07:22 AM1/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Somebody stop me from making one of these, I really don't need one...

Jess Robinson

Jan 13, 2015, 11:23:48 AM1/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

Err nope.. can we make one too???

Jess

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:07:22 -0000, Robert Longbottom <robe...@iname.com> wrote:

Somebody stop me from making one of these, I really don't need one...

Robert Longbottom

Jan 13, 2015, 11:51:32 AM1/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com, Jess Robinson

He links to a nicer screen at the end and its only £40...

jmeosbn .

Jan 13, 2015, 12:55:57 PM1/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
I'd definitely be interested in something like this. I've had a vague idea of using a mobile Raspberry Pi to provide a terminal environment so I can leave the laptop at home more often, perhaps using my iPad mini as the screen* though (though the one linked to looks a lot more usable).

* with ssh over wifi, this is an easy option when you have a tablet handy, even if you do go with built in screen.

In my case, so long as it's quick to setup and a nice enclosed package to carry easily. I wouldn't even be too concerned about having it be really tiny, or even needing batteries - though I was looking on Amazon just yesterday for mobile phone chargers/battery packs to power a Pi, and found this one quite reasonable if you wanted loads of staying power!

Jamie Osborne

Robert Longbottom

Jan 13, 2015, 1:01:28 PM1/13/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com

That's the one thing he didn't mention in the article, battery life (not that I saw in my quick skim through).  And it would be easy to make a nicer looking 3d printed case as well.