RPi Music Box (aka Spotify streamer)

1 view

Damian Axford

Mar 2, 2015, 8:47:24 AM3/2/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
something else on the todo list and a potential Wed night project:

Background:
I bought my wife a retro DAB radio for the kitchen a few years ago, but given most of what we now listen to is via Spotify, I'd like to add a headless streamer to the radio's AUX input.  I also have a spare RPi with wireless dongle that should be perfect for the job!

The radio is question is a Roberts Vintage DAB, which can operate on C-size batteries - as such, I suspect a large portion of the interior volume is dedicated to the battery compartment...  which we don't use.  So, I'd like to try squeezing the RPi inside the case with an external toggle switch to flip between external AUX and RPI.  This would entail powering the RPI from the internal PSU in some way.

jmeosbn .

Mar 2, 2015, 1:22:43 PM3/2/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Damian,

I've not heard of Pi MusicBox, but it looks ideal.  I'm using XBMC* for a similar purpose atm (out of laziness) but have messed with Shairport before and would like a slimmed down headless installation without the need for XBMC.

The image linked will suit most cases, but ideally I'd like to start off with my own base image.  So for anyone else wanting to do things the hard way, with some digging around I found the source repo with it's install script and instuctions which will hopefully let me do this.

However, the readymade image looks to be fairly stripped down anyway - though I'm not sure how up to date it is and if it supports the Raspi2 (which would be wasted on this).

* weirdly, the repo contains some xbmc data, so I wonder if it uses it's add ons or something..

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Mar 2, 2015, 1:34:35 PM3/2/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Oh, did you meter the DC voltage available from the PSU yet?

Just need a stable ~5V, though you should get away with as low as ~4.5V IIRC for an embedded, low power use such as yours (low CPU/GPU use, without USB).

With the USB WiFi dongle I think you'll need at least 4.75V to be safe.

Jamie Osborne

jmeosbn .

Mar 2, 2015, 1:39:05 PM3/2/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
P.S. Latest prerelease image supports Raspi2 so is very recent.

Downloading now as it may be a nice base to use as a general purpose server, though their FAQ advises not to apt-get upgrade as it "tends to cause breakage".

Jamie Osborne

Damian Axford

Mar 3, 2015, 4:35:32 AM3/3/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
Not started anything on this yet - but might bring it down for a near-term Wed hack :)

Damian Axford

Mar 3, 2015, 11:17:29 AM3/3/15
to swindon-...@googlegroups.com
note to self - incorporate the TTSGPIO plugin for manual buttons (i.e. pause, next)