RSPB Swift nest webcam

nicki.baker

Jun 18, 2024, 6:35:52 PM (11 days ago) Jun 18
to swiftslocalnetwork
Like many people, I expect, I've been much enjoying dipping into the RSPB's excellent webcam of their Swift nest, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ZSjt9POdk.  It's a great development for all of us who don't have our own webcams (or, sadly, occupied boxes!), and should be a great way of interesting more people in Swifts.  Does anyone happen to know what sort of nest box is hosting the family?  It's obviously working well for them.
Thanks,
Nicki
Keswick Swifts

Louise at Bolton and Bury Swifts

Jun 19, 2024, 9:13:53 AM (10 days ago) Jun 19
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicki,

Glad you are enjoying our Swift family. They are nesting in a Cambridge style system ie small Swift Brick entrance through a pipe to a wooden box which is in my attic.

Probably not a system that would suit all as quite some work involved in creating it but we like it.

Best Wishes
Louise

Jun 21, 2024, 6:14:40 AM (8 days ago) Jun 21
to swiftslocalnetwork
Many thanks, Louise!  It sounds like it's quite a complex system, but clearly magnificently effective!  And I'm fascinated by the clarity of the image, in what must be such low light.

I've just seen one of the adults dash in to feed a chick, then dash out again - it must be wonderful to know that's happening in your very own attic!

Are you busy with rehabbing already...?

Very best wishes,
Nicki

Zoe Crossley

Jun 21, 2024, 6:14:40 AM (8 days ago) Jun 21
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicki,

This is Louise’s box from Bolton and Bury Swifts. It’s an internal box in the loft accessed via a swift brick I believe. Lovely set up which also hosts several other pairs.

Zoe

Louise at Bolton and Bury Swifts

Jun 21, 2024, 7:49:02 AM (8 days ago) Jun 21
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicki,

Yes its great to see them in such detail!

Still fairly quiet rehabbing wise I think that will change very soon though!

Best Wishes
Louise

Watch our livestream Swift Nest in conjunction with the RSPB.

signatureImage