Re: [SLN] Digest for swiftslocalnetwork@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 5 topics

1 view

Elfyn Pugh

Jun 29, 2024, 9:01:52 PM (3 days ago) Jun 29
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
I’m all in favour of legislating for year round protection for existing nesting sites and particularly make building contractors liable if they carry out any work in breach of any enactment passed. This kind of legislation is long overdue.

Elfy

On Sat, 29 Jun 2024 at 18:55, <swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hannah Bourne-Taylor <hannahbou...@gmail.com>: Jun 29 06:07PM +0100

Hi everyone,

The future homes hub commitments regarding swift bricks is the reason for the past govt declining to take any action. On the plus side, it’s promising that housebuilders are making these commitments however as with anything that is not mandatory, it’s very hard to tell what the reality will end up being.

With this in mind I together with political allies who have been so actively involved during the last year and many conservation NGOs, will be continuing to support the campaign to mandate swift bricks going forward. We have also started the ball rolling to campaign to afford nesting sites all-year-round protection.

Once we have the new government in place there are various politicians already proposing various actions so once there is a next step I will update everyone.

Very best,
Hannah
Hannah Bourne-Taylor <hannahbou...@gmail.com>: Jun 29 05:59PM +0100

Evening,

If there is an active Tooting swift group on here or that someone knows about please could you get in touch so I can connect you with someone who is trying to get help with installing a nest box? She’s after a ladder and someone to go up and fix the nest box and she is under the impression that is what we all do…. But I thought it was worth asking incase there is a legend like Paul Wren in the Tooting area that does actually do just that!
Best wishes,
Hannah
Edward Mayer <edward...@zen.co.uk>: Jun 29 05:23PM +0100

Dear Swift Friends & Colleagues, My friends Cathi and Peter who
collectively are 51 architecture, took these great photos when they were
on the march a week ago! We thought you might like to see them as a
souvenir. Best wishes, Edward

1

23

45

67

9
Mike Priaulx <michael...@yahoo.com>: Jun 29 03:17PM +0100

Hi Sussex residents,

A reminder this quick but important LNRS survey closes on Sunday:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RKB8RSM

Main focus is for buildings habitat to be considered. Let me know directly if you've completed?

Many thanks, full details here:
https://sussexnaturerecovery.org.uk/residents

Mike

Annie Warwick <anniew...@me.com>: Jun 28 09:01PM +0100

Wow!
Annie

Sent from my iPad

Dick Newell <dick....@gmail.com>: Jun 28 09:31PM +0100

Terrific result Simon,
The nest boxes in St John's are unlike any others that I know of. The
entrances are clearly of a form that suits the swifts.
Let's hope no predator turns up to exploit this wonderful colony.
Dick

On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 at 20:40, 'Simon Evans' via swiftslocalnetwork <
You have received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.