Re: [SLN] Digest for swiftslocalnetwork@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 6 topics

Jay iPhone

Jun 22, 2024, 7:41:36 AM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be there - wherever we are!  Jacey. Shipston Action for Swifts. SAS.  Look out for my hat!! 😀👍
Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Jun 2024, at 20:55, swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com wrote:

acebarley <aceb...@googlemail.com>: Jun 21 11:25AM -0700

Hi,

I am curious to understand how many calories a day Apus Apus needs to
consume in day, flying being such an energy consuming activity.

I've looked on the web finding an adult can eats 5000 insects a day. But
how to convert this to calories?! A small spider is x., a moth y, a fly z!!!

So I asked ChatGPT4 who did some maths and came up with 10-15kal a day
(15kcal being equivalent to 4grams of sugar/a tsp) based on basal metabolic
rate and activity metabolic rate calculations.

In short does this sound correct? Would a common swift be nourished by
10-15kcal a day or a teaspoon equivalent of energy?

Thanks,

Andy
Peter Smart <bromleyrs...@gmail.com>: Jun 21 09:50AM -0700

Hi Alistair,

Unfortunately Bromley Council don't adhere to their own action plan for
swifts. They certainly don't automatically make swift bricks a condition
for new developments. They don't even have an inhouse ecologist.

We have Swift Champions within the Bromley Local Group of the RSPB who
request the inclusion of swift bricks on developments near to existing nest
sites, but a condition is frequently not made by the Council when granting
permission.

Regards,
Peter

On Sunday, June 16, 2024 at 11:20:07 AM UTC+1 alis...@alofanglia.plus.com
wrote:

Zoe Crossley <zoecr...@live.co.uk>: Jun 19 05:09AM

Hi Nicki,

This is Louise’s box from Bolton and Bury Swifts. It’s an internal box in the loft accessed via a swift brick I believe. Lovely set up which also hosts several other pairs.

Zoe

On 18 Jun 2024, at 23:35, 'nicki.baker' via swiftslocalnetwork <swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Like many people, I expect, I've been much enjoying dipping into the RSPB's excellent webcam of their Swift nest, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ZSjt9POdk. It's a great development for all of us who don't have our own webcams (or, sadly, occupied boxes!), and should be a great way of interesting more people in Swifts. Does anyone happen to know what sort of nest box is hosting the family? It's obviously working well for them.
Thanks,
Nicki
Keswick Swifts

Many thanks, Louise! It sounds like it's quite a complex system, but
clearly magnificently effective! And I'm fascinated by the clarity of the
image, in what must be such low light.

I've just seen one of the adults dash in to feed a chick, then dash out
again - it must be wonderful to know that's happening in your very own
attic!

Are you busy with rehabbing already...?

Very best wishes,
Nicki

On Wednesday, June 19, 2024 at 2:13:53 PM UTC+1 Louise Bentley wrote:

Louise at Bolton and Bury Swifts <super...@outlook.com>: Jun 21 11:48AM

Hi Nicki,

Yes its great to see them in such detail!

Still fairly quiet rehabbing wise I think that will change very soon though!

Best Wishes
Louise

Watch our livestream Swift Nest in conjunction with the RSPB.
https://www.youtube.com/live/n6ZSjt9POdk?si=6tpKE2wZYizTyJAO

[signatureImage]

________________________________
Many thanks, Louise! It sounds like it's quite a complex system, but clearly magnificently effective! And I'm fascinated by the clarity of the image, in what must be such low light.

I've just seen one of the adults dash in to feed a chick, then dash out again - it must be wonderful to know that's happening in your very own attic!

Are you busy with rehabbing already...?

Very best wishes,
Nicki

On Wednesday, June 19, 2024 at 2:13:53 PM UTC+1 Louise Bentley wrote:
Hi Nicki,

Glad you are enjoying our Swift family. They are nesting in a Cambridge style system ie small Swift Brick entrance through a pipe to a wooden box which is in my attic.

Probably not a system that would suit all as quite some work involved in creating it but we like it.

Best Wishes
Louise

Watch our livestream!
https://www.youtube.com/live/n6ZSjt9POdk?si=6tpKE2wZYizTyJAO

[signatureImage]

Jun 22, 2024, 7:41:36 AM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I will have a stall on Sat 29th June at Stoke Newington Organic Farmers' Market as part of Swift Awareness week !

Lorna