Re: [SLN] Digest for swiftslocalnetwork@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 2 topics

Brian Weller

Jul 1, 2024, 4:22:42 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Winchcombe Swift Support Group: Our two cameras can be accessed on our website 'Winchcombe Swift Support Group'. There are two swift chicks in one box and one chick in the other. Good views tonight around 9 pm as both sets of adults had gone out to feed.
Brian Weller

On Mon, 1 Jul 2024 at 21:55, <swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Banstead Swifts <banstea...@gmail.com>: Jul 01 02:37PM +0100

Hello all

> My experience of leafletting the public whilst I walked up Banstead
(Surrey) High Street today:

> 20% refused to take a leaflet or said they were not interested (majority
male),
> 50% looked like they didn't know what a swift was but were happy to take
a leaflet and I engaged with them,
> 30% recognition of swifts or positive excitement! The village vets were
very supportive.

> Fortunately the majority of interactions were pleasant or neutral.

> I am not sure if I will leaflet this way again though. It takes some
nerve.

> Has anyone had any issues with leafletting in High Streets? I am assuming
no authority permission is required?
Helen Lucy <hmll...@gmail.com>: Jul 01 03:03PM +0100

I think that’s a great success rate! Well done! Most people will think
you’re selling something or promoting religion, so you have to have a few
words ready to introduce the leaflet. Having a gimmick like giant swift
wings or a large model swift attracts positive attention too 😂. Helen.

On Mon, 1 Jul 2024 at 14:38, Banstead Swifts <banstea...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Anne & Tony Croft <the.cro...@gmail.com>: Jul 01 07:53PM +0100

Hi Helen

we had well over 200 people through our garden we believe as we never stopped for 2 days...I have none of your lovely Swift books left and at least é people getting swift boxes put up ready for next year!

Thank you for your super material it really impressed people and got them engaged and interested.

Thank you.

⁣Best regards
Tony

Sent from my Google Pixel 7a

Get BlueMail for Android ​

Nick Brown <nbr...@derbyshirewt.co.uk>: Jul 01 09:29AM

Thanks for the feedback Tony & Anne.
Great idea showing Louise’s live web cam (I see both adults are in the nest right now…maybe the weather in Bolton isn’t too good?)
If you have any idea of numbers that would be useful feedback, ditto for the Wiltshire event/s Camilla…..
Nick

Jul 1, 2024, 4:35:56 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com

Swift Awareness Week Leafletting

Thanks Helen. I had a bamboo cane that has 3 soft toy swifts attached to it (the swift stick: I made them for the Restore Nature Now March and they were really popular with the public even before the march ) with me...I wore a RSPB swift tour t shirt and a big 'Ask Me About Swifts' badge that Catherine gave me. Despite all that 'kit', you are exactly right...one lady did say she thought I might be religious, then was very apologetic as she was aware of swifts and gladly took the leaflet. I am sure plenty thought I wanted them to sign up to something. It's a tough gig to do something for altruistic purposes today.😊

Kindest
Annie