Sparrowhawk and swifts

rowena.q...@btinternet.com

Jun 24, 2024, 12:53:46 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com

The following was received from a member of our group. Would be interested in any comments

Rowena

Bradford on Avon Swift and House Martin group

The attached photo is of a sparrowhawk sitting on my swift boxes, probably attracted by the calls I’m playing. About 3 days ago I saw what was probably the same bird sitting at the entrance hole of a swift nest in an old stone roofed cottage just around the corner. It flew off when I walked closer. Is this an old / lazy / hungry bird looking for an easy option? Most upsetting to see it targeting a nest that is currently in use, and in fact has been used for many years. This has made me question whether our swift boxes are a good design if they’re not flush with the roof above? I’m getting quite a bit of interest from screaming parties this year but now I’m wondering whether I need to make it impossible for predators to sit on the roof?

Sent via BT Email App

IMG_0109.JPG

Louise at Bolton and Bury Swifts

Jun 24, 2024, 1:16:27 PM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rowena,

I don't like the flat roofs that allow predators to perch or pigeons to nest in some situations. A steeply sloping roof like the Model 30 from Action for Swifts and John Stimpson is best. I would make some amendments to that box after this season but not change the box completely as the Swifts are used to it. I would also be on Sparrowhawk patrol. This is not a lazy Sparrowhawk just one that has found a good source of prey. Swifts are at their most vulnerable when entering or leaving a nest.

Best Wishes hope those Swifts are okay!

Louise

Watch our livestream Swift Nest in conjunction with the RSPB.

signatureImage

Jun 25, 2024, 9:23:19 AM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to swiftslocalnetwork
Hello Rowena, we have had a lot of trouble with pigeons, although a lot less since I reduced the general bird feeding. We still have a very persistent pair that were able to perch on the sloping roof of my Madrid swift boxes, pooing and cooing. We had some roof work carried out which included putting up some improvised pigeon deterrent spikes on the box roofs, and this has solved that particular problem, plus any potential predator problem.
Annoyingly, that pair of pigeons have started coming into the kitchen if I don't remember to close the back door! Louise, Wimbledon

Dick Newell

Jun 25, 2024, 12:48:52 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to swiftsloc...@googlegroups.com
Any swift box with a horizontal top is a perch for a predator. This is one of the reasons why the PVC roof of a Model 30 slopes at 30°. PVC is quite slippery, making it even more difficult for predators to get a grip.
Dick